What happens when you have been away for 6 years

Dovii

Newly Enlightened
Been a lurker since 2011, got a couple of lights, my biggest one was a Solarforce XML with 500 lumens. My previous flashlight was a "Vintage" 4 D Cell halogen Maglite, you know, the ones that eat batteries for breakfast and had the spare bulb at the tail cap. Anyways getting the 500 lumen in 2011 was something BIG for me. It was night and day compared to my old Maglite. Then you do the unspeakable and start browsing this site after 6 year. LED technology has vastly improved and my first purchase for 2017 is a NITECORE TM06s with 4000 frikkin lumens !!! THIS LIGHT IS PURE AWESOMENESS.

Next light will be a smaller single 18650 EDC, with 1000 lumens like a Convoy S2+

5 years from now a quadray like the Nitecore TM28, by then this should be pushing 20,000 lumens in our 18650:) unless the itch persist and i get the quadray next year :)

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
5 years from now a quadray like the Nitecore TM28, by then this should be pushing 20,000 lumens in our 18650

Well, the "good" news is that LEDs are already more than 50% efficient, so we won't see order-of-magnitude improvements in total lumens. You can't get more than about 200 lumens of white light out of every watt going in, and it's a poor LED chip that doesn't already turn half the electricity into white light. Maybe some breakthrough in batteries will up the power levels from a few watts in a hand-held device, but they've been searching the periodic table for 100 years for more efficient battery chemistry and there doesn't seem to be another order-of-magnitude improvement coming.

You can get 20,000 lumens out of something you can carry even today, but you'll need a lot of 18650s to power it...we shouldn't be scared of that, put enough 18650s together and you get a Tesla.

Bill

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Welcome back and congrats on the purchase of the TM06. I really like mine.

And you can't go wrong with a Convoy, either. Great value for the money.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a lurker since 2011, got a couple of lights, my biggest one was a Solarforce XML with 500 lumens. My previous flashlight was a "Vintage" 4 D Cell halogen Maglite, you know, the ones that eat batteries for breakfast and had the spare bulb at the tail cap. Anyways getting the 500 lumen in 2011 was something BIG for me. It was night and day compared to my old Maglite. Then you do the unspeakable and start browsing this site after 6 year. LED technology has vastly improved and my first purchase for 2017 is a NITECORE TM06s with 4000 frikkin lumens !!! THIS LIGHT IS PURE AWESOMENESS.

Next light will be a smaller single 18650 EDC, with 1000 lumens like a Convoy S2+

5 years from now a quadray like the Nitecore TM28, by then this should be pushing 20,000 lumens in our 18650:) unless the itch persist and i get the quadray next year :)
How about an Emisar D4 instead of the S2+? The D4 is considerably smaller, has a much better UI, and peak output of 4300 lumens. Or if you're looking for a throwier EDC light, the Emisar D1 with 43k lux?