Panasonic cell stuck in Zebralight SC600

pageyjim

Enlightened
I was sorting batteries to see which ones would be best to dedicate to which light etc and I got a Panasonic cell stuck in the above light. Couldn't find anything with searches and was looking for some advice.

terjee

Enlightened
If all else fails / last resort, you could use a strong piece of string/wire, superglue it carefully with a single drop or two, and pull (extremely (!!) carefully, you don't want to damage the cell).

I'd try other options first though, such as gently heating the light (body heat? Sun?) to see if that'd give you enough.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Yeah that was along the lines of what I was thinking at this point. Superglue a nail or something or head of a bolt I was thinking. It's not really a problem for a few days or until the charge lasts. Thanks for the response!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know about getting info. You can search for weeks with so much out there, and still not find what you're looking for. Just in case, zebralights don't need protected cells (if it did fit there is no need for them). Of course too little too late probably isn't helping.

pageyjim

Enlightened
My only unprotected cells are ones pulled from old laptop batteries. I didn't want to buy new cells I have plenty of protected cells and wanted to sort some out for resistance for multi cell lights and what fit what and wasn't thinking. The Panasonic is short enough but a bit wide. Just should have stuck with the Eagletec which worked fine but were all so close in resistance I was leaning towards keeping them for multi cell lights.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you have a strap wrench try using it on the light and swing the wrench with the light in it with the battery compartment pointing downward against a firm surface. The sudden deceleration on the wrench will form an impact on the light and battery and may jar the battery loose.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make something like a bullet puller.
Imagine if you could put a handle on the light so that it was shaped like a hammer, with the ZL being the hammer head.
Next you'd tap (or whack) the handle near the ZL/head. The ZL will accelerate faster, leaving the battery behind.
Multiple lighter taps are probably better for the light than a whack, ramp up as needed, and of course don't hit the light.
A green branch split down the middle partway and lashed to the light would be quick and easy and probably work fine. Whack or tap with another section of the same trimmed branch, or a wooden handle. It's about accelerating the low mass of the flashlight faster than the friction in the tube can hold the mass of the battery, so the whacker should be light weight.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
To make even more fun strap it to a shotgun in reverse and fire a slug :) Better to do it over a soft surface in order not to deform a jettisoned battery.

pageyjim

Enlightened
When the cell's charge is low I am going to try Tuf Glide for lubricant. Unsure how much penetration I will get I will give it a day or two to see if gravity will help and try super glue or JB Weld on a nail head and pull it out. I do have some copper tubing and some 18650 extension tubes that would allow me to lightly tap it out with luck. I appreciate all the responses even "funny" ones I fully expected that given what I did. Any ideas will still be considered. This is the first time I ever wished a light had a micro usb charger port.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the cell's charge is low I am going to try Tuf Glide for lubricant. Unsure how much penetration I will get I will give it a day or two to see if gravity will help and try super glue or JB Weld on a nail head and pull it out. I do have some copper tubing and some 18650 extension tubes that would allow me to lightly tap it out with luck. I appreciate all the responses even "funny" ones I fully expected that given what I did.
If you have any neodymium magnets, that's something less permanent to try as well.
Of course if really stuck you'll need a bit more force.

pageyjim

Enlightened
If you have any neodymium magnets, that's something less permanent to try as well.
Of course if really stuck you'll need a bit more force.

Yeah I tried that, but thanks I appreciate the help.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inertia will do the trick.
Lynx Arc, Vadimax, and I are describing the same trick, it works so well that a lot of effort goes into putting things together so it Won't happen.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Inertia will do the trick.
Lynx Arc, Vadimax, and I are describing the same trick, it works so well that a lot of effort goes into putting things together so it Won't happen.
Before I try gluing or "welding" the nail I am going to apply the Tuf Glide give it a couple days and try something along those lines.

pageyjim

Enlightened
If the above ideas don't work perhaps sticking it in a freezer a few hours will shrink the cell.
Laptop batteries can withstand being frozen.

That's an interesting thought. Maybe if I heat up the aluminum shell by rubbing it in my hands or something after pulling it out hopefully the battery will shrink more than the aluminum. It is worth a shot. The cell is a protected Panasonic I doubt that makes a difference since you said "Laptop batteries can withstand being frozen." Maybe for safety I will stick it in side of something in the freezer.