Samsung lm301b 220lpw

Agpp

Enlightened
According to fonarevka pct, Cree XP-L2 V6 at the same temperature (25 C) delivers 88 lumens with 219 lm/W.
I'm not excited about this LED.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the led is not the only variable in lpw.
you have to look at total system lpw.
does not matter if the rest of the system is inefficient.
that samsung led is nothing special.and of no interest for flashlights so its no surprise that there has been no mention in a flashlight forum.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many here are interested in fixed lighting. Ergo "fixed light forum.

So, their implementation will hinge on price. I have one 500 watt led, made up of several hundred mid power leds. Seems to be more durable than my 100 watt cob, due to better thermal path. And, naturally, everything seems to use 90 lpw epistar, with 55 lpw lamp level. So, led efficiency need to go up to 200lpw. Double. The Cree cob that can do 14000 lumens at 100 watt, rather than 6 or 8000, were too expensive to make sense.

I can see th 301b as the flood secondary (optic free) to my xplhi v5 4300k in a 26 to 31mm smo head lamp. Or as a 2032 button cell head light. But really depends on price.

I think it time to reject any light that uses anything under 200 lpw. Force the distributors and r&d to bump it up to the 303lpw press release, and 220 to 240 for warmish tints. It is this contentment with crummy 100 to 150 lpw leds that is stagnating the field, and the forum. Sorry, but you will be able to do far more, as the lpw goes north of 200 towards the already achieved 303 lpw. Heatsinking alone will benifit.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also find it interesting that Samsung tells how the did this 220 lpw, by separating the colors and a reflective substrate. Seems they want others to catch up, to have cheaper high efficiency leds to throw into their TVs. Apparently, they can't afford their own, yet.