Moped headlamp

Random Guy

Enlightened
I have an old moped that takes a PAR36 lamp for the headlight. The factory lamp is a #4568, which is a 12V 25W unit with a 40°x5° beam. This lamp seems to be no longer available, so I was wondering what the best replacement would be. Looking at a list of PAR36 lamps leads me to either the 4411, which is a 35W trapezoidal beam unit, or the 4415, which is also a 35W unit with the same 40x5 beam pattern as the factory lamp. The electrical system on the bike is very simple, with just a small lighting coil, and no voltage regulator or rectifier, so I think any increase in power draw will reduce the voltage in the system. If there are any good LED options that would fit this format I would be willing to add those things, though.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
[Model 8415] look interesting. $100 is more than I want to spend right now, but I'll definitely be filing that away for later.
Those would also be overkill for a moped, too, probably :)

You'll need to bezelify (that's a perfectly cromulent word) it but still, that would probably work well for a low-speed vehicle like that.

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
I would verify that it's 12VDC before getting any kind of LED. Every lawn mower I've had that ran the lights directly off a coil with no battery the output was AC which when applied to a LED will have a lot of flicker worse than a old CRT tube monitor set at 60hz refresh or less. You can correct it with a rectifier and capacitor.

Random Guy

Enlightened
It's definitely AC, but adding a rectifier and a regulator wouldn't be too hard. Would need to make sure that the voltage doesn't go too high for the other bulbs in the circuit, though.