Zebra H600F and H603 nose/hand reflection, issues?

Ruso

Newly Enlightened
I heard that Zebra Floody and Flood versions reflect in one's nose and this can be little distracting to the wearer. To minimize this effect it is suggested to tilt the headlamp slightly up, which obviously is not ideal. How true is that and if it is, how annoying is it? Is it better to use magic tape on H600w? Same effect?

Also, same was noticed when using the headlamp in a fist. The light reflected from the Index finger into the one's face....

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an H51fw and H600fc, and have never had that issue with either one. I think the problem came up only with the H602/3 (flood) versions.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I have the H602. The flood is huge on it and if you tilt down too much it will hit your glasses or nose. So yes, you do tilt it up a little.

There is nothing "not ideal" about this though. Why would you think it to be? The light flood is so broad with no hot spot that it shines down enough that you don't have to look down and pretty much fills your field of view.

Ruso

Newly Enlightened
I have the H602. The flood is huge on it and if you tilt down too much it will hit your glasses or nose. So yes, you do tilt it up a little.

There is nothing "not ideal" about this though. Why would you think it to be? The light flood is so broad with no hot spot that it shines down enough that you don't have to look down and pretty much fills your field of view.

Well, because by tilting it up you will loose some useful light. And by reflecting on your body it can create unwanted flares and potentially shine back into the eyes.
It is still probably a very good compromise overall, and I am interested in getting H603 but I just want have the expectations straight.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Well, because by tilting it up you will loose some useful light. And by reflecting on your body it can create unwanted flares and potentially shine back into the eyes.
It is still probably a very good compromise overall, and I am interested in getting H603 but I just want have the expectations straight.
Believe me when I say you won't lose light. Not even a little. There is no "spot" that is aimed Away.

MX421

Enlightened
Believe me when I say you won't lose light. Not even a little. There is no "spot" that is aimed Away.

Well, i wouldn't say the H602/3w does not "lose" light, some of the swath of light will be directed upward and not used for illumination. That being said, I also have this headlamp and it is my favorite headlamp i own (and the H502w for reading). Instead of wearing it as a headband, i wear it around my neck and point it downward. This make it great for seeing where you are walking. I sometimes combine it with a H600 or another headlamp for either seeing greater distances (the H602w has no throw whatsoever) or focussed work (as BirdofPrey points out, it has no hotspot either) if need be.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the concern is to not lose useable light, then the problem clearly is that the users' noses are in the way. ;-)

Maybe mounting the light slightly further off the forehead with a padded spacer would do the trick, for the diehard enthusiast there's always the option of nose tip planing.
Also, eye rolling exercises might help the user utilize the wasted light escaping overhead, it works for me. :)

Last edited:

jto

Newly Enlightened
I have used the H603c (flood) light for about half a year almost daily.

Yes, the light can hit your nose or eyeglasses due to the very wide flood. Personally I find it a non-issue, a minor annoyance at most, and as earlier posters said, can be avoided by tilting the light slightly up.

Flood (not "floody") is so smooth and wide, aiming or stabilizing the light doesn't really matter much. As long as it's somewhat pointed in the general direction you're good. As MX421, often I don't bother to put it on my head, and just use it on my neck. I couldn't imagine doing that with a floody or spot headlamp due to aiming and headbobbing or "neckbobbing" issues.

Bigger issue is the lack of throw, which is why I carry a backup SC600w Mk3 HI. But if I had to choose only one lamp for all of eternity, well, you can pry the high CRI flood headlamp from my cold dead hands!