Ceiling Fan w/R7s Halogen - LED Replacement

alex_sisk

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm new, but I searched the forum and found other R7s questions that didn't seem relevant to my situation. (Floodights with reflectors where directional LEDs may significantly reduce light output, etc.)

What I'm dealing with is a ceiling fan, which uses a 100W, 120V Halogen tube with what appear to be ceramic R7S bases. The tube is only 38mm long from base-end to base-end. If I measure the glass only, which goes a little into the bases, it is 32mm.

There are NUMEROUS large round replacements for this kind of base, but they will not work due to limited space. (also, most are 118mm long, I've found.)

As you can see, the LED replacement would need to be flat. Something like one of these:

I have the light above as my rear dome light in my Accord. It doesn't have to deal with 120 volts, so understand why it's thin.

I thought I struck gold with this one, but...nope.

Too fat. Also, it's on a dimmer, so it needs to be able to dim.

Ideally, the solution would be something like this:

Unfortunately, even that unit requires 9/16" depth.

The fan is from a custom fan manufacturer - original cost was around $300 10 years ago. It is the most quiet fan you could ever imagine.... I'm looking into solutions with them, but I get the feeling it's not going anywhere.

Has anyone dealt with a similar issue before? If not, any ideas?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
What are the constraints you need to fit within? There is almost certainly a diffuser that you've not photographed. What is its general shape? Looks like it might screw/slot into the black material behind the (ceramic?) plate that holds the halogen sockets. Does it flare out beyond that?

When you mention "too fat", do you mean that it requires more vertical clearance than the fan assembly provides or that the length of the assembly exceeds the total length that the socket can accommodate?

The only 38mm (just barely shy of 1.5") bulbs I'm finding are automotive 12V festoon bases - not 100W halogens. In fact, the only R7s bulbs I can find are 78 and and 118mm. Is the hub on that fan only ~6" in diameter?

alex_sisk

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your response.

This was completely my mistake. I guess I need to re-take some elementary school classes.

I was measuring the halogen bulb with an old ruler, and to be quite honest, I'm not sure what the markings on the ruler were actually supposed to represent. After measuring correctly, I discovered that it is in fact the (much more common) 78mm length bulb.

You are correct regarding my "too fat" statement. I could have worded that one better. The issue is that essentially all R7S LED solutions would require more vertical clearance in this scenario. (I assume that they require an embedded transformer to handle the unnecessary amount of power that they would receive.)

I was able to solve the vertical distance issue by installing 3/4" screws and 1/2" metal spacers. These replaced the ~1/4" existing screws that attached the bases directly to the fan, and I was able to achieve nearly the same screw-in depth.

Latest posts