Anyone else carry a Silky BigBoy for camping and backpacking?

Thosewhowander

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I made a video review of the Silky Big Boy 2000 XL that I'd like to share with you guys and get your thoughts on. I personally feel in love with it. I've used several others: Bahco, Fiskars, and some other brands you can get at home improvement stores. Man this thing cuts through wood like a laser! The weight isn't too bad at all considering how well it cuts.

I've taken it backpacking and we had a ton on fun making firewood. I used the Silky and my Junglas. I'm sorry but I don't have that particular Silky/Junglas tag team footage in the video review.

JmNgOX9l.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
I have the smaller Gomby 240mm. I love it. It's 9.10oz compared to my 6.65oz Bacho Laplander...but you immediately know what those 2.45 extra ounces got you start cutting. Longer blade, quicker cutting, and just feels like it has less resistance.

I busted the tip off of it (~ 3/4") on the first trip out but I can't blame the saw for that. Still works fine.

scout24

Flashaholic
I own a Zubat "fixed blade", a Pocketboy 130, and recently picked up a Katanaboy 500. Silky makes some incredible saws. I work for a Stihl dealer, and while Stihl branded saws are decent, the Silky's are in a different league. Nice video, btw.

Edit- My Pocketboy is actually a 170, I used it today to trim some brush, opening up lanes for archery deer season, which just opened here. Amazing cutter with very little effort...

Last edited:

Thosewhowander

Newly Enlightened
I have the smaller Gomby 240mm. I love it. It's 9.10oz compared to my 6.65oz Bacho Laplander...but you immediately know what those 2.45 extra ounces got you start cutting. Longer blade, quicker cutting, and just feels like it has less resistance.

I busted the tip off of it (~ 3/4") on the first trip out but I can't blame the saw for that. Still works fine.

The teeth cuts like a laser, so awesome. I have a Bahco and they're good too but I want to upgrade to a pocketboy. Thanks for sharing your insight!

Thosewhowander

Newly Enlightened
I own a Zubat "fixed blade", a Pocketboy 130, and recently picked up a Katanaboy 500. Silky makes some incredible saws. I work for a Stihl dealer, and while Stihl branded saws are decent, the Silky's are in a different league. Nice video, btw.

Thanks brother! A Pocketboy is next on my list. Before using Silky, I thought my Bahco was great but now that I've felt the difference I can't go back lol. Katannaboy? Dang, that must be so fun to use!

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm still confused on the best type of blade/teeth for cutting firewood. I use a medium which seems fine and I was told good all-around use, but would a large or x-large be better?

scout24

Flashaholic
While the larger teeth on the Katanaboy 500 just rip through 8-12" wood, I would want the medium to cut through, say, 2-4" pieces. The smaller the diameter the material, the harder to get the bigger teeth cutting smoothly. I hope that makes sense.

scout24

Flashaholic
Well, I'm in awe. There is a pre-production Katanaboy 1000. 39 inches of folding saw. Look up canadian prepper on youtube for a 12 minute review. He's dropping what look like 12-14" standing trees with the thing. Unreal...

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy smokes! Just watched that video.....beast of a saw! Been thinking of getting a smaller Katanaboy for all the low white pine we have.

Also, check out Canadian Preppers " Bug Out Roll " Expensive but functional.