K60vn-STATERA THROWER-XHP70.2

Capolini

Banned
K60vn-STATERA THROWER-XHP70.2 CW 6500K

MAX/LEVEL 5 RUN TIME TEST.

I am very impressed with how this manages heat.The first increment was for 10 minutes and the handle was barely warm!

In candle lamp's review he stated there is a step down after 2 minutes.That is correct as I noticed the slight drop of output on the ceiling. When that happened I dialed down quickly to level 5 and then back up to level 6 to see if it reset TURBO. I do not believe it did as I did not notice an increase in output.

It is CONFIRMED when I turned the light OFF/ON again, it resets back to TURBO.My test is a combination of MAX and level 5 output.

NUMBERS BELOW.

I was happy to see that my 30Q FT did NOT rattle when I shook the light. That was NOT the case with my TN42vn,,hence BT 30Q'S!

I can not wait to use this light tonight. I am sure I am going to like it.

PLEASE NOTE:

1.My 30Q FT's were received on 10.24.2017. They have been in storage most of the time and ONLY have 12 cycles on them.

2. The test was a COMBINATION of Level 5 and turbo. I found by turning the light OFF/ON again, that it reset it to TURBO.
16 minutes were TURBO and 19 minutes were Level 5.

The Numbers:

K60vn_RUNTIME_TEST.jpg

PHOTOS
K60vn_.1.jpg

K60vn_LED.jpg

Comparison Line up

COMPARISON_K60.jpg

My custom design. CAPO /COCHISE COMBO w/ v54 in the middle!- Vinh's Craftsmanship. Tight Quarters.

CAPO_COCHISE.jpg

Here is a picture of Cochise at age 13. Malmute/GSD[German Shepard Dog] mix

COCHISE_AT_13_004.jpg

Beam shots coming soon.
:cool:

ven

Flashaholic
Congrats Roberto on still one of the best all rounders today.................imo anyway:thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned
Congrats Roberto on still one of the best all rounders today.................imo anyway:thumbsup:

Thanks,,,I am looking forward to using it tonight. Love the fact that it did not get nearly as hot as I thought it would. I am glad my L6 failed,,,now I have a much better torch.

On a side note, I am a little apprehensive about tonight's hike!

I live in a small town for the last 35 years. There was a murder last night and a man hunt going on! It happened 2 miles from me. The trail on the docket is 2 miles from the murder scene.Helicopters were flying over head as I was testing this light. 4 murders in 35 years,~ every 9 years.

Anyway,,,I think the light would scare him away....he may think I am a cop! Although I know for a fact that cops do NOT search for people in the woods at night,,,,,they would be sitting ducks.He is probably too stupid to know that.

ven

Flashaholic
Be careful Roberto, there is only one thing more dangerous than a killer................a desperate killer! Capo will have your back anyway, the k60vn will burn away retinas at a 100yrds!

Capolini

Banned
Moving forward. I can see this light being my favorite PRIMARY light. I LOVE the Output, beam profile. heat sinking and tint. My 30Q's give it enough run time. I am not a fan of CW. However, this LED has a nice cool white unlike my flashlights of old and my SDMini which is an XPL 7000K Dome on.

Power pole-300 yards

K60vn_2.jpg

K60vn_9.29.2017.jpg

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I decided to do a TURBO run time test. I doubt if I would use CONSTANT turbo and reset every 2 minutes. However, I was curious as to what the run time may be. I am guessing about 27 minutes w/ the same end voltage as my initial test. That was a Voltage of 3.50V after 35 minutes[16 turbo/19 level 5].

There are Two ways to reset back to TURBO. Turn the light off by the switch OR move to STANDBY and then back to LEVEL 6.

Batteries: Same 4 X 30Q as First test.

Voltage-4.20v
Loft temp.-66F/19C
Rest- 5 minutes

6 Min.= 4.04V
10 Min.=3.96V
15 Min.=3.84V
20 Min.=3.74V
25 Min.=3.61V
30 Min.=3.48V

My guess of 27 minutes of TURBO run time was not off by too much.If you did not notice, I love numbers!Basically you will get 5 minutes more run time with the TURBO/LEVEL 5 Combo than ALL turbo.The voltages are very similar w/ 5 minutes LESS of turbo compared to the COMBO test.

In terms of voltages,The pattern seemed to be 15m of Turbo[3.84v]= 20 Min of COMBO [3.83v], 20 min of Turbo[3.74v]=25 min of "COMBO"[3.74v]

That concludes my run time tests. This information may not interest you, but it helps me a lot to know ALL my lights and how long I can use them on the trail. Because of this my batteries are NEVER too low when I get home.:thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
Totally understand as i like to learn my lights and how long i can get with my typical use. Best way imho as you wont get caught out:thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned
Just noticed this on ALL levels,used my sun glasses! ONLY lit up ENTIRELY on Two of the Four Dies.

I do not like these QUAD LED'S. I have had Two lights w/ XHP70.2 and they both failed relatively quick. If it is too hot to hold I dial down,,,,,,Nothing to do with how I use them.

K60vn_defect.jpg

k60_defect_1.jpg

k6ovn_defect3.jpg

k60vn_defect2.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
:sigh: not good, these 70.2(50.2 as well) seem more susceptible to failing than the older gen.

ven

Flashaholic
Try for an xhp70 shaved dome in this k60vn , you wont regret it! Really kicks out a nice beam, still plenty bright spill yet more concentrated/focused hot spot. Just a thought:)

ven

Flashaholic
I am sure it's near 5000lm, you won't be able to tell by eye. If anything this should appear brighter with a more intense hot spot. I have not had a 70.2 to do a comparison. Looking at your pics, the hot spot does not look as defined/concentrated as the 70 shaved dome.

Good stiff, hopefully all will work out and a super happy Roberto (and capo).

Capolini

Banned
I am sure it's near 5000lm, you won't be able to tell by eye. If anything this should appear brighter with a more intense hot spot. I have not had a 70.2 to do a comparison. Looking at your pics, the hot spot does not look as defined/concentrated as the 70 shaved dome.

Good stiff, hopefully all will work out and a super happy Roberto (and capo).

I thought about it more while on the trail. I am NOT happy w/ this light and its LED. The 70 has less output. Every 2 minutes the light steps down. I can handle 6000 to 5000 but I will be damned if I am going to reset the turbo every 2 minutes FROM 4000 back to 5000. In the weather we are going to get and are starting to have, having it at 5000 lumens is no problem for at least 10 minutes. the only way I would want that LED is if Vinh can reset the step down to 5 minutes. I doubt he can or will because it is the factory UI.

I can notice the 1000 lumen step down.

ven

Flashaholic
The step down is a little disappointing, but it can run around 4000lm(not sure of exact amount) indefinite which is more than most lights. Think more for battery conservation , its still a HUGE output and an awesome beam. If you only want max though, and for long duration's, the rc40vn with PDT has the mass/heat sink to carry it off and 500kcd. The k60vn still gets toasty over time, personally i think its a good balance for long duration's and high output with all things considered. The 100% or turbo L6 is really for short uses(as with most lights these days). We all have different wants/needs/expectations, the k60vn may not be for you if you want 100% output for most of your walk. I like L5 for everything, quick notch up on the dial for short blasts of L6................if/when needed.

Most of my high output lights get used on 20 or 30% for a balance of high output and run time, again short blasts to see a bit more and WOW............but thats me and not Roberto:)

Capolini

Banned
The step down is a little disappointing, but it can run around 4000lm(not sure of exact amount) indefinite which is more than most lights. Think more for battery conservation , its still a HUGE output and an awesome beam. If you only want max though, and for long duration's, the rc40vn with PDT has the mass/heat sink to carry it off and 500kcd. The k60vn still gets toasty over time, personally i think its a good balance for long duration's and high output with all things considered. The 100% or turbo L6 is really for short uses(as with most lights these days). We all have different wants/needs/expectations, the k60vn may not be for you if you want 100% output for most of your walk. I like L5 for everything, quick notch up on the dial for short blasts of L6................if/when needed.

Most of my high output lights get used on 20 or 30% for a balance of high output and run time, again short blasts to see a bit more and WOW............but thats me and not Roberto:)

This is SIMPLY about the LED. Not about preference.

Every other V54 light I have had could stay on max for extended times. When it gets too hot I dial down. These lights are ALL at least 3 years old and some 4 years old.

Like you said before this 70.2 seems unable to take a current boost and they also seem to get easily damaged.