1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

This light is truly amazing. It fires a wall of usable bright light allowing you to "SEE" over a mile!

1.5.18 UPDATE

1.13.18 UPDATE
How to Program the BLF GT (NarsilM)

4.20.18 UPDATE

Be sure to let us know what you think!

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such an amazing video! This is the best I've seen at representing the throw of a flashlight.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the video! :thumbsup:

For sure this is an amazing flashlight. My best throwers are Olight SR52UT and Thrunite TN32. And I am tempted to get Thrunite TN42...
However; for practical use the size really matter. While these are very fun to use lights like Armytek Predator more often will be carried out. And I personally consider 4 cell as the limit for a flashlight. My reasoning is that I don't want to use a light which cells can't be charged at same time, except from as using two chargers side by side.
A flashlight with this battery capacity therefore should have a batterypack(or the possility to charge together), in my opinion.

By the way: what is the max lumen output of BLF giga, and is this light regulated at the highest level?

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
WOOHOO!!! Awesome! I definitely giggled, then straight out laughed at the stellar performance! I cannot wait to get mine! Thanks, Matt.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks Matt. I have read some of the thread on BLF about this light. Very impressive throw.

I may have to strap it on CAPO my Husky! Could be a challenge to carry for an old man like me, even w/ a strap!

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks Matt. I have read some of the thread on BLF about this light. Very impressive throw.

I may have to strap it on CAPO my Husky! Could be a challenge to carry for an old man like me, even w/ a strap!

If there was ever a capo de capo light...............this is it:D

Capolini

Banned
^^^^

Not anymore. I am selling ALL my throwers,,,I love my K60vn so much, I will be using it EVERY night!!

GIGGLES is amazing. With that said lets put things in perspective. The TN42vn and the TK61vn V4 are ALSO amazing.

Look at the difference in size compared to the aforementioned lights. The reflector and the light itself.These guys obviously know how to build a light and with that said you would expect the results they are getting considering the massive size of the torch. I guess it is a combination of their skill and the enormity of the torch.:D

I wonder if there is a way to measure size/LUX ratio?!!! It would be interesting to see which torches throw further in respect to their size.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^

Not anymore. I am selling ALL my throwers,,,I love my K60vn so much, I will be using it EVERY night!!

GIGGLES is amazing. With that said lets put things in perspective. The TN42vn and the TK61vn V4 are ALSO amazing.

Look at the difference in size compared to the aforementioned lights. The reflector and the light itself.These guys obviously know how to build a light and with that said you would expect the results they are getting considering the massive size of the torch. I guess it is a combination of their skill and the enormity of the torch.:D

I wonder if there is a way to measure size/LUX ratio?!!! It would be interesting to see which torches throw further in respect to their size.

One thing to keep in mind with the BLF GT is that is not designed for 100% throw.I forget the numbers and i'm not digging around BLF but it is somewhere 75% throw and 25% spill. It is designed to be a practical thrower not a pencil beam light.

You can easily swap in a de-domed XPG2 or Oslon black flat and change the driver and get more throw but that isn't the point of the light.

Capolini

Banned
One thing to keep in mind with the BLF GT is that is not designed for 100% throw.I forget the numbers and i'm not digging around BLF but it is somewhere 75% throw and 25% spill. It is designed to be a practical thrower not a pencil beam light.

You can easily swap in a de-domed XPG2 or Oslon black flat and change the driver and get more throw but that isn't the point of the light.

I understand what you are saying. The same could be said[spill/throw ratio] For the TN42vn XHP35 HI and the TK61vn V4 XML2 PDT. I have both these lights and they are not pencil beams and have plenty of peripheral light.

Spec 1 XHP35 HI CW 6500K
Lumen: 2400
Lux: 775
Throw: 1760m

My TK61vn V4 is ~ 1800 lumens/770Kcd/1754m/1918yds.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for all the wonderful comments!!!!!

Thanks for the video! :thumbsup:

By the way: what is the max lumen output of BLF giga, and is this light regulated at the highest level?

Yes its fully regulated. about 2.5 amp on turbo. This light would not fit in my lumen tube, but I tried to test it anyway. I got about 1900 lumens. Texas Ace said he got closer to 2400 IIRC. I would bet the 2400 is much closer.

ven

Flashaholic
^^^^

:faint: wow!!! I knew you would like the k60vn(its hard not to as its *beepin* awesome(, but selling your other throwers..............

It is a nice beam!:cool:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand what you are saying. The same could be said[spill/throw ratio] For the TN42vn XHP35 HI and the TK61vn V4 XML2 PDT. I have both these lights and they are not pencil beams and have plenty of peripheral light.

Spec 1 XHP35 HI CW 6500K

Given equal lumens and the same emitter and given the same reflector geometry (spill/throw) The bigger diameter head will always throw more :confused:

Nothing wrong with the TN42 and Tk61 but they are designed differently

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the video![emoji106]
For sure this is an amazing flashlight. My best throwers are Olight SR52UT and Thrunite TN32. And I am tempted to get Thrunite TN42...
However; for practical use the size really matter. While these are very fun to use lights like Armytek Predator more often will be carried out. And I personally consider 4 cell as the limit for a flashlight. My reasoning is that I don't want to use a light which cells can't be charged at same time, except from as using two chargers side by side.
A flashlight with this battery capacity therefore should have a batterypack(or the possility to charge together), in my opinion.

It was done purely for balance, from what I read. It could run with 4 cells, the long tube, and an empty carrier (8 not necessary). Or a short tube (availability tbd). It draws something less than 3A IIRC.
But if you shorten it to 4 cells, or make it battery pack, then the light will be super head-heavy. At that point it'd have to be redesigned into a different form factor entirely. As the goal was to make a mega thrower *flashlight*, 8 cells gives a good balance in hand.

hahoo

Enlightened

Spec 1 XHP35 HI CW 6500K

ive got both the lights you mentioned, both vn modded...
if that video is any indication of the wall of light, and sheer throw this light has, then the 2 above mentioned lights, especially the TK 61vn, will not even be in the same league as this new GT gigathrower...
thats the only thing i dont like about my tk61vn ....it doesent throw a broad enough beam to be usable in real life...
my tn42 vn on the other hand, puts out way more lumens, 250k more lux than my tk61vn, both measured by me , on the same meter, at the exact same distance, and has a much more real life usable beam for sure..
thats the only way to know for sure when talking lux numbers...everything has to be measured back to back, on the same meter..

Last edited:

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
Cool vid VOB!!

Yes let me clarify the cells and carriers for the GT
With a head this big and heavy it needed balancing. like if you pick up a long heavy tool like a sledge hammer, holding it while walking to the place you want to use it, easiest is to carryit in such a way the weight is balanced, holding it at the end far away from the heavy metal hammering part makes if very hard to carry.

So we needed 4 cells to get to the desired voltage.
And now the carriers connect in parallel, meaning one can use it with 1 carrier empty, preferably the on closest to the head and the GT has a nice balanced weight.
If one needs maximum runtimes it can work with 2 times 4 cells doubling the time one has to play with it between charging.

About comparison with TN42 (vn or not)
It is really cool, a lot of smart people did a lot of calculations for the reflector.
Based on the simple spec 120mm at the widest.
In the end the ideal depth was calculated via different methods (and we needed to know the depth in order to design the head around it)
It is less then 0.5% the same ratio as the TN42 reflector IIRC
Very cool IMHO that a bunch of enthusiasts calculate and get this close to the reflector the reigning LED reflector based throw king (at that time ;) ) had.

The GT used in the video is a prototype with a prototype reflector, Lumintop has smoothened the reflector surface more, so the throw we see on the prototype is less then on actual production.
I think it is safe to say, there is no way a TN42, K70 or BK-FA09S can beat the GT in throw with just their reflector.

And for longer time use, the TN42 is too unbalanced for me. I had to do things I needed light at greater distances, I wanted to dump the TN42 for a modded Courui D01. it is easier to carry, the TN4 is too front heavy for anything longer then half an hour, so even on that regard I think the GT might be more practical.
I ended up hanging a S2+ at the tailcap of the TN42 to balance it out better, which worked out OK