7x XHP70 direct drive IMR hand combustor possible?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to openly brainstorm
Incandescent? I know more than I will ever need to know or apply.
LED, still noobish

Ok let's paint a picture and throw out a few questions.
Cree P4, can't find any stats on that, like emitter dome size etc Would be useful to know what I can directly replace with.

Let's just SAY the new XLamp XHP70.2 would fit under a P4 LED reflector.
XLamp XHP70.2 is made from 4x XM-L2 LEDs. XM-L2 can be direct driven off of a Li-ion / IMR etc.
Thus can I run a 6V XHP70.2 off of a direct drive (no circuit boards) 2x Li-ion etc for 7.4 volts? :D
My idea is to take my old school ElektroLumens Shadeslayer-7 and replace all of its 7 P4 LEDs with 7x XHP70.2 LEDs and instead of running it direct drive on 3x 1.2 volt NiHMs it would be 2x IMR cells.

No regulation or modes, just silly hand heater. Yes I realize how utterly hot this would get, but I'm thinking about this from a Hot-Wire "just because" stand point than anything practical.
I figure the forward voltage is going to drop remarkably fast considering. ijoy 4200 mah 26650s would be less than 3.5 volts. Or maybe the new samsungs 30t 21700 would be a better bet as it can more readily supply the 45 amps needed. This is all assuming XHP70.2 can survive 7.4 forward voltage, and I can cram 7 of these LEDs in the light.

Hit me with any thoughts.

Last edited:

Agpp

Enlightened
Tom E got over 30 klum driving 3 XHP 70.2 with 4*18650 (not sure which cell).