LED series/parrallel?

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
when using a current control driver chip, is it possible to put 3 strings of 2 LEDs in series and use same power as 2 strings of 3 LEDs in series with the LEDs in either setup getting the same current? i'm connecting each string together between each LED so all are tied together. if so, would this require less overhead voltage?
thanks
Bg9EnlnKz1UAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Place the leds on the MCPCB in parallel and wire each MCPCB in series. To answer your question, in my understanding it would be the exact same thing.

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
the chip puts out 700mA. in the 2 string 3 LED circuit, the current is divided with 350mA going to each string. in the 3 string 2 LED circuit, i thought 700mA would be divided by 3 and the LEDs wouldn't get 350mA each??? am i wrong about this?
i don't understand what it does by connecting strings together between each LED. i thought is was to more evenly spread the current to all LEDs???

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
When you wire multiple mcpcbs in series they all get equal current as long as as the LEDs are flowed together in parallel. If you wire mcpcbs in parrallel then they have to share that .7amps

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
i built the 3 strings of 2 LEDs with driver chip producing 800mA. i only connected between 2 of the 3 strings due to the board i was working with. i measured current through 1 string and only got about 200ma. when i disconnected here and this string went out, the other LEDs got brighter so it has to be sharing current to all 3.
i wish they had a way to post sketches here so you could see what i built. it wouldn't let me post a screen shot either. is there a way to show drawings here?
thanks