Two out of Two[Failures] is Enough for Me!

Capolini

Banned
For you Guys who have had success with this LED. I am happy for you.I can only tell you my experience, and it has NOT been good.

The LED is the XHP70.2. Two different lights in two weeks w/ this LED and they both failed! First the L6vn which I used Once and it failed. I decided to get the K60vn with the same 70.2 and it started to fail after 8 days!

I am NOT blaming Vinh. I have heard others on here and BLF say that this LED is not as durable, reliable and can not seem to take much of a bump in current.

Like the Title says...Two failures out of Two is ENOUGH for me. I have ZERO confidence in this LED.

I have numerous lights with XPG2/XML2/XPL ect, that have been used for several years and nothing like this has happened.

Could my luck be that bad,,,,,I do NOT think so!

Photos below:

L6vn

burnt_l6vn_led.jpg

burnt_2_l6.jpg

K60vn

This is NOT burnt yet. You can ONLY notice it when light is on. Two dies are very dim while the other Two are full power. I put my sun glasses on! It is noticeable on ALL levels.

K60vn_defect.jpg

k60_defect_1.jpg

This is level 6
k6ovn_defect3.jpg

This is Level 1

k60vn_defect2.jpg

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Beats me. I found your post somehow (forgot how but it caught my attention) so it must be showing up someplace.

Capolini

Banned
^^^
Ok,,it is still odd when I go to Forum,,then LED category, it is not there. any other thread I started it would be in its designated section immediately.

nbp

Flashaholic
The forum indexes only refresh every so often. Crack a cold one and pet the dog while you wait ;)

Capolini

Banned
The forum indexes only refresh every so often. Crack a cold one and pet the dog while you wait ;)

It still is not listed and never has been listed there. Something is not right. Every other thread I posted has always been in its designated section.

I'm tired of petting the dog!

Thanks

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
It still is not listed and never has been listed there. Something is not right. Every other thread I posted has always been in its designated section.

I'm tired of petting the dog!

Thanks

It's the first thread in Beyond Flashlights > LED. Don't know what to tell you man, it's there.

Capolini

Banned
I've got two puppies to pet. I just got my first light with this LED (Haikelite). Will see how it goes.

Interesting photos.

If you do not use max output a lot you may have some success with it.

I have never had a problem with any of my LED's in other lights. I run them on max ~75 to 80% of the time. These lights are 3 and 4 years old.

From what others have told me the 70.2 is not as durable as the 70 version.

I just don't think they can be driven as hard as they are, probably better left as is without any current bumps.

Those 70.2 and the 50.2 especially seem very easy to get damaged. I think they are not as tough as the older gen, more susceptible to higher currents and burn out.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm, I have fried two 50.2s due to running them behind 2xHG2 on a FET driver. Eventually gave up on it and ordered a MTN-MAX buck driver. There is now a warning on MTN because of the current issue ;)

Most definitely an electrical issue as I reflowed it and it worked for a second again before going kaput. Perhaps really thin bond wires.

moozooh

Enlightened
To be fair, both lights (esp. the L6vn) overdrive the hell out of that LED. It is performing way over its safe capability limits as designated by the manufacturer (that is, Cree), so it's not the LED's problem that it doesn't handle it reliably imo. Nobody promised it would.

I mean, it sucks that you got the short end of the stick for sure, but it's not because the LED itself is bad, but rather because the enthusiasts keep insisting on pushing it. Get a light that conforms to the manufacturer's specs, and I'm sure it'll perform as intended. Anything over 4000 lm per die will not be safe.

Capolini

Banned
To be fair, both lights (esp. the L6vn) overdrive the hell out of that LED. It is performing way over its safe capability limits as designated by the manufacturer (that is, Cree), so it's not the LED's problem that it doesn't handle it reliably imo. Nobody promised it would.

I mean, it sucks that you got the short end of the stick for sure, but it's not because the LED itself is bad, but rather because the enthusiasts keep insisting on pushing it. Get a light that conforms to the manufacturer's specs, and I'm sure it'll perform as intended. Anything over 4000 lm per die will not be safe.

You are probably right. I just know the other LED'S were pushed and never failed like this one.

My problem now is I am stuck w/ the light because I have a special engraving. I am disgusted that 2 lights failed in 8 days and I am disgusted that I can not even return it.

Capolini

Banned
^^^^^

Yes,,,,,,,,,,He will fix it. When I said stuck, I mean that I can not get a refund for the light.

I am sending it back tomorrow. BECAUSE I have a custom engraving I CAN NOT get a full refund.That is what I wanted,2 failures in 8 days,,,,,,,,I must persevere through this frustration! :sigh:

So I am having him put in a XHP70 Shaved dome which from what I am told is more reliable and durable, with obviously less output but more throw.

Last edited: