Question Beta QR

jd101

Newly Enlightened
(First post)

I'm shopping for a 1xAAA to dangle from a suspension clip in my front pocket, dress pants / suit. I've ruled out the Maratac because I think its too rough looking, and I've mostly ruled out the Titan and Titan Plus because of what seems to be build quality issues. As between the two Beta-Qr2 models, is there any consensus on whether the added weight of the brass and copper three-level models is worth getting the third low level? Also what about the tarnish?

Thanks,
-J

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm shopping for a 1xAAA to dangle from a suspension clip in my front pocket, dress pants / suit. I've ruled out the Maratac because I think its too rough looking, and I've mostly ruled out the Titan and Titan Plus because of what seems to be build quality issues. As between the two Beta-Qr2 models, is there any consensus on whether the added weight of the brass and copper three-level models is worth getting the third low level? Also what about the tarnish?

Thanks,
-J
Hey J
:welcome:

The tarnish is easily cleaned. We like to call it Patina. Personally I prefer the added weight of the brass. It feels more robust, solid, and most importantly it keeps the light in the bottom of my open back pocket. The moon light mode is not for everyone, as is just the two mode. Your decision should be based upon your usage and what You are going to feel comfortable with. What other lights have You used in the past? Tell us what and how You want to use the light.

I have started a New thread for You. You will need to post a few more replies in order to activate all your posting privileges.

Last edited:

jd101

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the welcome and for starting the new thread.

I work in Manhattan and live in the suburbs. Starting with 9/11 and then again after Sandy and Irene, I've felt the need from time to time for a small EDC flashlight for the keychain both for true emergency use, and for more frequent use around the car and driveway etc. at night for short periods of time.

I carried an Arc AAA many years ago on my keychain and I don't remember why I stopped carrying it, but I replaced it with an HDS EDC 42 hanging on a Tec P-7 suspension clip. I stopped carrying the HDS, also years ago, because it was too bulky for my front suit pants pocket, and also because the lens and the reflector fell out and went missing. I still keep the HDS in my briefcase with a pack of CR123a for an emergency but without the lens and reflector it doesn't do much. For the past few years I've been using the iPhone's flashlight when I need some light, but I think I want to go back to a dedicated tool. I might want to replace the briefcase-carry HDS with something like a SureFire G2X or maybe a small Malkoff. For the actual keychain-carried light I want something that looks classy and is unobtrusive in the front suit pants pocket. I think that I would value high CRI and that I wouldn't care about PWM, but those are just guesses.

-J

ironhorse

Enlightened
I had both from the pass around, and I ended up preferring the nickel due to the weight difference. I don't need the low low on a keychain light anyway. My 2 cents.

jd101

Newly Enlightened
I had both from the pass around, and I ended up preferring the nickel due to the weight difference. I don't need the low low on a keychain light anyway. My 2 cents.

Thanks. The weight difference is noticeable then? I know it's .8 vs 1.6 oz. but was unsure.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. The weight difference is noticeable then? I know it's .8 vs 1.6 oz. but was unsure.
Yes. The weight is noticeable with the light alone. If You are carrying the light on a keyring, the total weight is not that noticeably weighing the pocket down. For a slacks and dress pants I would lean more towards the lighter Two mode. For appearance many prefer the looks of Copper and Brass over the Nickel and Black Beta's. It really boils down to personal preference, and what You feel You would prefer. The Brass, Copper, and Nickel all will clean easily using a Jewelry or Silver Cleaner/Dip. Bear in Mind the Brass and Copper are solid alloys and light scratches may be able to be lightly buffed/polished/smoothed.

ironhorse

Enlightened
I suppose if you don't have them both, the weight isn't that noticeable. If you have them both, it's really noticeable.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like having three levels, and think you would be please with the QR in any finish. I have both Surefire's AAA and love them and have full confidence in their build(when they were introduced, there were issues, but believe that no longer is an issue( although I will probably be called a Surefire fanboy). I also love the Four Seven's Preons(copper also available)...

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
I started with the copper Beta for the patina and 3 mode function but after carrying it on my keychain for a few months the weight started to annoy me. So I bought the nickel (EN Al) one then put the copper head on the nickel body. This gave me the lighter weight of the EN Al (since the body is by far the biggest piece) along with the 3 mode function of the Cu head. Then with the brass QR connector, I ended up with a 3 metal/color light, looks pretty cool.

I don't know if the pic's still there since he redid his website but Jason once had a pic of him doing something similar, brass head on nickel body. The only real downside is you have to buy two of them to swap the parts, but I bet many here would actually consider that an upside...

jd101

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone, this has been very helpful. I am going to order the two-mode nickel since the low weight as compared to the copper/brass is more desirable to me than the three-mode. The additional considerations are that (1) I like that the two-mode starts off at 15 lumens rather than the three-mode's initial 1 lumen, and (2) I like the looks of the nickel the best and I may attach a small SAK Alox Classic or Alox Cadet which will match with the nickel (and also bears on the weight issue). Is the Kappa a good idea for this?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you everyone, this has been very helpful. I am going to order the two-mode nickel since the low weight as compared to the copper/brass is more desirable to me than the three-mode. The additional considerations are that (1) I like that the two-mode starts off at 15 lumens rather than the three-mode's initial 1 lumen, and (2) I like the looks of the nickel the best and I may attach a small SAK Alox Classic or Alox Cadet which will match with the nickel (and also bears on the weight issue). Is the Kappa a good idea for this?
The Kappa is very useful. They can be bought for other applications as well. The splitring can be changed out or replaced if You prefer, but having an extra pivot point allows it to group more compactly when attached to a key ring. A simple twisting like unscrewing a thread or screwing a thread in makes attaching and detaching a breeze. I'll post a video when I get a chance.

jd101

Newly Enlightened
The Beta QR v2 in Nickel arrived yesterday. I'm pleasantly surprised by how light weight it is, how much light it throws, and how neutral the light is. Thanks again.