Bright focused handheld spotlight on a budget

Torchman74

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am looking for a very bright spotlight with a focused/pencil beam that is under $200. I want the spotlight to be handheld for recreational spotlighting out of a vehicle window while driving down some back roads or while riding on my atv to spotlight wild animals (deer, bear, elk, coyote, bobcat) for recreational sake (and yes it is still legal where I live). I want to be able to see an animal at 250 yards like it is the middle of a bright sunny day. Some of the animals will be closer than 250yds. I like the idea of HID/Xenon lights instead of LED but i'm not sure I can get there with my $200 limit. The spotlight could be corded or cordless. I plan on plugging it into a 12v cigarette lighter port if it is corded. The recreational animal spotlighting would consist of an hour or 2 of on and off use of the spotlight. I am not very smart on the language that is used on this forum so I hope that I am portraying what I am looking for in a good manner. Thank you for any and all help.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're shining these for less than 5 mins, i suggest almost anything other then HID. they need warmup AND cooldown times and dislike frequent restarts. Xenon short arc would do but are very expensive. there are plenty of LED lights which reach WELL over 200 yds.
do you desire "focusable" light or will just a spotlight due?
battery requirements?
runtime?
size/weight desire?
durability?

answer these questions and we will recommend to you a light you desire and will love for years to come.

Torchman74

Newly Enlightened
This is very good info.

I think focusable means adjustable and I think spotlight means focused but not real focused. I think focusable would be best for what I am looking for.

Battery requirements, i'm not sure what exactly to say. The light can be corded or cordless but if it is cordless then as long as the battery will last an 1hr of run time per night or the battery can be changed out. I'm not a battery expert either but I have some dewalt power tools that have lithium ion rechargeable batteries and I really like them.

Runtime - Usually the light would get used intermittently over a 1 or 2 hour period. Most of the time the light would be "on" less than 5 minutes at a time and the total "on" time for the whole night would be about 45minutes max over a 2 hour period.

size and weight - of course I would like compact, lightweight, and powerful but I would be quick to trade off size and weight for better lighting performance.

durability - I want durable but at the same time I don't intend on man handling this light much or drop it in the water and such.

Hopefully I gave somewhat clear feedback on the questions.

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to read my post and give me some great feedback.

Torchman74

Newly Enlightened
This is very good info.

I think focusable means adjustable and I think spotlight means focused but not real focused. I think focusable would be best for what I am looking for.

Battery requirements, i'm not sure what exactly to say. The light can be corded or cordless but if it is cordless then as long as the battery will last an 1hr of run time per night or the battery can be changed out. I'm not a battery expert either but I have some dewalt power tools that have lithium ion rechargeable batteries and I really like them.

Runtime - Usually the light would get used intermittently over a 1 or 2 hour period. Most of the time the light would be "on" less than 5 minutes at a time and the total "on" time for the whole night would be about 45minutes max over a 2 hour period.

size and weight - of course I would like compact, lightweight, and powerful but I would be quick to trade off size and weight for better lighting performance.

durability - I want durable but at the same time I don't intend on man handling this light much or drop it in the water and such.

Hopefully I gave somewhat clear feedback on the questions.

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to read my post and give me some great feedback.

dariman3

Newly Enlightened
I like the led remote control Golights on my trucks. Magnetic mount and hands free so you can leave the window up when it's cold or use your binoculars, if need be. Check ebay, used go for a fraction of new. FWIW

Keitho

Enlightened
Well, the handheld monster thrower light on a budget this year will require you to get on another forum, and get on a wait list... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/439108

The video is cool to watch, even if the light isn't your cup of tea...

Traditional manufacturer, maybe the olight m3xs ut, 1000m throw, and they sell a kit with batteries included.

Last edited:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Dereelight XSvn from skylumen although i think its fixed focus. Its awesome!!!!

Also silent Thunder Ordnance strike of hyperion which is focusable

For what you need either one is perfect. No spill so very little distraction from surroundings. Very powerful beams

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Two possibles come to mind that haven't been mentioned. first is the Dewalt DCL043 spotlight its a 20volt max led light that uses the same batteries you already have. It runs about 80-90$ and you still have plenty left over for an extra battery for it 4-5-6AH dewalt would definitely last the evening.
second is the Streamlight waypoint spotlight. the 4C cell 550lumen model because it can also run direct off of 12volt power. it runs about 60$

both have video reviews avail on youtube and i know the waypoint has been discussed on cpf a few times

I bought a Waypoint for a family member for his farm in ohio he still raves about it for spotting coyotes stalking his dogs i can attest to its pencil tight beam as i took it for a test drive at my house before i sent it to him.

If you dont need to buy a battery you could buy both see which works better for you and either keep both or sell one and not be out much more than shipping. just my thoughts as i think either would work for you.
Let us know what you think when you can

Last edited: