Headlights for 1993 Ford Ranger?

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
A neighbor down the road, nice kid who works at Walmart, has a '93 Ranger. The 24 year old stock lights were crap and he's very low budget, so he ordered some cheap import shiny things he found on eBay. He now knows better, because those are Really Crap. I'm trying to help him. Original lights have already been tossed. I found a company online that specializes in genuine Ford factory parts. I looked up the headlights and found "no longer manufactured."

I had a set of cheap driving lights gathering dust, so I slapped them on while he was here and I was helping him install a horn. He said they are the only reason he made it home without hitting a big elk. (I hit a deer in August, with the high mileage Corolla on which I recently replaced headlights, and have just purchased ANOTHER $225 headlight from Toyota, plus a pre-painted fender.) I tried to impress upon this lad that good lights and the right lights are worthwhile, even taking time in the shop to light up the cheap LED "lightbar" flood he had with him, followed by a new Cibie 5-3/4" curved lens H1 high beam, so he could understand that beam patterns matter.

What do you think the best option is for this young man of very limited means?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
A truck like that is probably not going to last very much longer. In a case like that, throw forty bucks at a set of the least-stinky cheap aftermarket lamps (that's this), with a pair of these bulbs, and aim them carefully. If it's at all possible, money-wise, put in relays.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Thanks. That will definitely be better than what he has. Maybe I can help him out a bit. Already gave him a relay and some wiring, along with my time. I can help set up relays and heavy wiring, to get the most out of the above combination.

KXA

Newly Enlightened
A truck like that is probably not going to last very much longer. In a case like that, throw forty bucks at a set of the least-stinky cheap aftermarket lamps (that's this), with a pair of these bulbs, and aim them carefully. If it's at all possible, money-wise, put in relays.

Virgil, are you sure that the Ranger takes the HB1? My folks had the same Ranger back in the day, and my memory says that it took HB5 bulbs.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Thanks. Those actually cost less. I would have checked. I seem to recall taking a quick look and seeing a 9007, but with those "trinkets of finest Chinesium" where headlights belong, I was not sure I was looking at the original type bulb.

Hopefully, I can help this lad out. Headlights are sort of important.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ranger may originally have, but I expect the linked bulbs are correct for that non-OEM lamp assembly.

Oops, no, you're right, it takes 9007, not 9004. So the bulbs to get are these.

Oops. I surely wouldn't be surprised if DEPO thought they'd "upgrade" the "OEM-style" lamps, but that would require even more engineering than what they put in ordinarily.