Help - LED strip split in two, both not working

Krrish

Newly Enlightened
So I bought this long LED strip and split it in two. Now both are not working (it was working before split).

Major problem, this strip doesn't have any cut/scissor marking as it usually is. I realised it after I bought it and googled around for solution. My strip is coated into a plastic kind of material, looks like a very simple design wise. It is a plain white material on which mostly LEDs are visible. There is a joint at every 1 meter, that is where I split it.

I am posting few close ups for better understanding.

1. Strip has this at every 1 meter, this is where I split first

23qxjzm.jpg

2. It also has this at certain intervals, I tried spliting this too

2i9s3vb.jpg

3. It came with this power adapter, one end goes into the plastic casing and other into wall socket.

5cagj7.jpg

Any tips or guidance? Thanks!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking at those strips, it LOOKS like it is a single string of LEDs rather than parallels, i'd look for a small wire running alongside the LED strip in the plastic casing which will be the -(neg) rail, which will need to be connected at the point you cut the strip, however, IF these are series LEDs, they will have voltage requirements/limits depending on the length. so if they are designed to run at 200v at 2m long, at 1m long, they'll need 100v. exceeding these will cause the strips to fail.

in the future, i suggest low voltage LED strips. 12-24v with parallel LEDs. they can usually be cut every 3 LEDs or so (2" of strip in most cases). much user friendly, especially for the amateur.

Krrish

Newly Enlightened
@FRITZHID - Thanks for responding.

Can you explain this part in more detail please "-(neg) rail, which will need to be connected at the point you cut the strip". What should it be connected to?

PS. I had no idea about how these lights otherwise I would have got low voltage parallel LED strip.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
High voltage strips meant to be used for direct AC connection (plug has diode bridge in it). They are not meant to be cut.