Aftermarket/Uprated Streamlight Stinger Battery

arKmm

Enlightened
Hello all. I've been searching to no avail to see if there's an aftermarket battery on the market for the long running Stinger series from Streamlight. The current models ship by default with a 2.2Ah NiMh battery, however Streamlight also sells separately a Ni-Cd 1.8Ah and a Li-Ion 2.2Ah replacement.

Ultimately, given the size of the device, chemistry would allow for a far greater capacity battery, but the cynic in me suggests as they make their money from selling extra batteries they may not have an appetite to sell a larger one.

I was therefore wondering if anyone has come across an aftermarket battery that would fit this device which would provide a larger capacity? I've found one result on Amazon which is no longer available for a 3Ah NiMh however I can find nothing on the company who made it so I've ruled that out for the moment as unreliable.

Thanks in advance.

arKmm

Enlightened
Just as I posted that I came across the Powerizer NiMh 3Ah battery. I'd prefer an even larger solution but at least 3Ah is better than 2.2Ah!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stinger came with 1800mAh battery of NiCad then used higher capacity and original charger is constant current of about 180mA or C/10
Theory says you need 10 hours to fully recharge a completely empty battery but since some of energy wasted in form of heat, manufacturer suggest 14~16 hours for full charge.
Now if you use say 3600mAh battery, then you will need about 30 hours to fully recharge it and this doesn't look practical but some people have no problem with it.
In order to increase charging current, you will need bigger and more powerful wall power adapter and charging cradle which means higher cost.
You can even make your own battery pack using three of
these connected in series then rewire negative of pack to front next and around the positive which are electrically separated with black circle plastic.
Lastly, you can make an adapter to use single lithium-ion high capacity 18650 which needs different type of charger or remove it and use aftermarket charger.

arKmm

Enlightened
Thanks. There is now a fast smart charger which cuts charging time down to about 3 hours which is much better in terms of down time compared to the standard one of old.

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge or kit to do any self manufacturing so unless there is someone selling the batteries then unfortunately the option is ruled out.

Thanks for the options though!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight makes a lithium ion battery but I don't know the specs on it (even though I have one). Check that one out

arKmm

Enlightened
Streamlight makes a lithium ion battery but I don't know the specs on it (even though I have one). Check that one out
Yep, mentioned that one in the first post. It's the same capacity as the stock battery, only Li-Ion instead of Ni-Mh. Thanks though.

Latest posts