• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Imalent DX80 AC/DC Adapter Failure

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
Hello Imalent Rep, or anybody else who can help with this issue. I received an Imalent DX80 yesterday from Banggood. I first removed the plastic insulator from between the battery and the head. Next I plugged the AC/DC Adapter into an outlet and inserted the plug into the DX80. It started charging and I could see the battery indicator light blinking the level of charge. I checked on the charge every once in a while and noticed that shortly after 2 hours (the Manual says charging should take approx 3 Hours 10 Mins) the light stopped charging and the charging indicator went off. When I checked the battery level with the 3 clicks of the mode button it showed battery was only charged a little over 15 volts (Manual says light should fully charge to approx 16.8 volts) and showed 3 out of 5 bars on the level indicator. I tried restarting the charge process, but the charging indicator would not come on again. I tested the plug part of the adapter that inserts into the light with the adapter plugged into power with a Digital Multi Meter and it showed the plug had no current flowing through it. I then found another 19V AC/DC adapter (same voltage as stock failed adapter) that I have for a Toshiba Laptop that has the same size charging plug and inserted it into the light and the light is now charging.

This tells me the light itself is OK, but the AC/DC Adapter that came with the Imalent DX80 failed. Is it possible to obtain a replacement AC/DC adapter for this light? The Toshiba Laptop adapter that I am using seems to work fine, but it is very large as compared to the one that came with the light. But I am also concerned about replacing the stock adapter that came with the light with another similar one since the first one failed. But I would like to at least give that a try.

The adapter that came with the light is a "Wall Wort" type of adapter with all the electronics in the small rectangular box that plugs into the wall, very compact. Label on adapter says "Output DC 19V - 2000 mA". I have Googled "19V AC/DC Adapter" and have not been able to find a similar adapter anywhere. Every other 19V adapter I have found has the large "Brick" type housing for the electronics with a power cord coming out of one side and the charging cord coming out of the other. Maybe someone can direct me towards a compact type 19V AC/DC adapter that is similar to the one that came with the light?

I still would appreciate help from Imalent with getting the original adapter replaced.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: For those interested I did find a compact "wall wart" sized adapter that should work with the DX80. It is made to be used on an Asus laptop computer and is 19V 3.42 amp with the same size 5.5mm OD X 2.5mm ID charging plug. It is readily available on Amazon (not sure if it is OK to supply link here). Hope this helps others who might not want to jump through all the hoops that might be set up to get your adapter replaced. Also I have a feeling (but not sure) that this probably is a higher quality adapter than was supplied by Imalent with the DX80.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Sorry for the malfunction.

It does not sound like you contacted Banggood. I would start there since that is where u purchased it from.

This will not help you now but it may in the future. This is One of MANY reasons why I purchase in the USA. If something like this happens there are Plenty of great dealers. The product may cost a few dollars more, in turn you are taken care of hassle free and will have "Peace of Mind".;).

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I have had great experiences with Manker and Acebeam in that regard. Can't speak for Imalent.

mattadore

Newly Enlightened
+1

I received my Imalent DX80 on Monday 10/09/2017. The flashlight is amazing and works perfectly without any issues but the cheap 19V 2A charger died in exactly the same manner. After 1 hour or so of charging the flashlight properly, the charger died. I've also done the same things, tested it with a volt meter and tried different wall sockets with no change.

Fortunately for me as well I have a laptop charger with the same current, socket, polarity and 19V but it is a 3.42A which is safe but still not something I'm excited about.

I'm wondering if all of the US plug adapters they've included are factory defective and require a recall?

I've submitted my claim ticket to gearbest where I purchased the light.

airwingsjonas

Newly Enlightened
Hi, same thing happened also to me. I received my unit just a couple of hours ago, at first it is charging then after a couple of minutes it just stopped. I tried unscrewing the battery from the head and reattaching but still not charging. Checked the charging adaptor with my voltmeter and no current. I think the adaptor cannot handle the battery. Mine also came from Banggood. I hope Imalent and Banggood is listening and replace and send us another adaptor.

Striwa

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have a good charger option, if the stock one fails?

Thanks

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a very very lengthy topic thread with lots of very detailed discussion about alternative charger options for this light, located in another forum.

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
19v up to 3.46a with a 5.5mm by 2.5mm tip laptop charger. Can be found on gearbest item number JC190342, ebay item 192160819379 or amazon B01BDFRS7I. Or any 19v that has an output of 2amps or more with the 5.5/2.5mm black plug

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
Is 19V to 24V ok?

I would NOT. 5V is to much of a jump.
I would think the internal charger of the light should be able to handle 18-20V input BUT do so at your own risk.
Having more current (A or Amps) is fine as the light will draw what it wants. As for voltage, unless the power supply is regulated, it will at no load make 10-to 20% more voltage. Put under the load it will come down. The internal voltage regulator inside the light should be able to accommodate the change in voltage, to a point. If you input to much voltage you will blow the circuit.

jmat

Newly Enlightened
can you remove the batteries from the DX80 ?

im considering buying one but the charger issue seems serious

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
Its a built pack. You could disassemble but only to replace it.
The charger issue is minor. Spend the extra $10 and dont worry about it.

imalent

Enlightened
Hello, Flash-o-Maniac,

Sorry but we just have time to check the forum.

Any time you have problem with Imalent flashlight, email us at [email protected] to get our fast support.

We can send you a replacement charger for free.

Best regards,
Shellen

Imalent team

jmat

Newly Enlightened
hi Shellen

you really need to redesign the lanyard clip on the DX80's tail stand , its VERY ugly and ruins the look of the torch .

Bruno28

Enlightened
I just received another DX80 after the previous one failed and this new one came with a different charger. Its a 24v 2amp changer and the previous was a 19v 2amp. It does look very different, a bit bigger and rectangular. Also has some humming sound.

Is this a new upgrade?

Last edited:

alert_01

Newly Enlightened
24V charger? Does it work with the same dx80 or this was replaced as well? Any experience with buying 24v adapters? Cheers Martin