Fenix CL20R rechargeable mini lantern : overview and first toughts

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
ZtlbIsN.jpg

Fenix ​​offered me a to review their new lantern, if you remember the former CL20, this new lantern is slightly smaller with upgraded electronics and UI :

it's main updates :

- smaller and lighter (2.8" x 1.6" x 2" weight 3.2oz)
- it is rechargeable (built-in 1600mAh battery)
- the outpute and modes spacing are upgraded (300 lumens)
- the runtime is better

unpacking:

ABqb2dG.jpg

the lantern comes with a micro usb cable, warranty card and instructions for use.
no replacement gasket here as there is no option for replacing the built in li-po battery

T9tQy05.jpg

Note that the provided output curve shows a significant drop in power in High and Turbo after a few dozen of minutes, in practice it is not very visible and should not be a problem. it allows a greater useful autonomy.

the body of the lamp is made of plastic and the only visible metal part is the small retractable ring that allows to hang it easily.

2atP8kY.jpg

fftZ2pP.jpg

two non-removable magnets make it possible to fix it on metalic surfaces

cqcyFo6.jpg

under the frosted dome, 12 neutral white leds and two red leds
(oddly, the effiency is better in white than in red light)

abA5JaA.jpg

in hands :

qwqfREj.jpg

i5mhUMJ.jpg

the lantern fires up by a long press and always starts in the white 1 lumen (lowest) mode, a short click switches to the next mode, a long click turns off the lamp.

a double click switches to 1.5 lumen red light mode, a single click activates a blinking red light, there is no highest mode available

the ignition button is translucent, a red/green led underneath helps to know the approximate battery level by a short click when the lantern is off.

in practice after a short period time in which one will change modes instead of turning off the lamp, we get used fairly quickly to the UI of this lamp.

Note: the lamp has an electronic switch, so there is a small current consumption, but the manufacturer has announced a very low standby consumption of about 35uA (about 5 years before full discharge); )

5NRmhN5.jpg

recharging by micro-usb port, take about 1h30 to 2h for an almost empty battery (red blinks on the power switch).
the lamp can be used even when charging, but only in lowest modes 1 and 40 lumens

QO3pEm3.jpg

Short-term toughts:

the improvement compared to the previous generation (CL20) is noticeable, especially since this is not done at the cost of an excessive overcharge (price is less than 40 $)

I was a bit skeptical at first about the usefulness of this kind of micro-lanterns compared to a small EDC lamp (with a diffuser), and I must say that I'm starting to change a bit of my opinion on the subject:

- firstly the format is not intrusive, the diffused light is fine (although I would have preferred a little warmer CCT)
- there is no PWM effect on any of the modes.
- the snail form factor, acts for an excellent stability.
- it always starts in the lowest mode : you won't be blinded by a full power blast if you forget the to depress the switch at the right time

the "all in one" solution is a nice addition that is more and more generalized, that will allow a wider audience to try modern flashlights and lanterns
I am however a little puzzled by the use from a manufacturer such as Fenix ​​of a built-in not replaceable battery.

LJ6tWDP.jpg

LYoXWic.jpg

I appreciated :

- the very small format, handling and stability
- the lamp always starts in low
- the very well diffused beam
- the neutral tint, and the absence of PWM effect
- the battery level indicator

I do not really like it :

- everything is sealed, one can not replace the battery
- a large power drop (but not very sensitive to the eye) in the first hours of use in High and Turbo

Fenix CL20R
Manufacturers product link : http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=2256&tid=31&cid=30

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ti²C,

First, thanks very much for your amazing review. Really nice pics. I love all Fenix camping lanterns, never let you down.
Love this upgraded little snail.:crackup:

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
So if you are out tent camping someplace, how exactly are you suppose to recharge it?

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
So if you are out tent camping someplace, how exactly are you suppose to recharge it?

we're on candlepowerforums :devil:, how could it be that you lack a backup, and a backup for the backup, or maybe a powerbank if you go camping :eek:

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Looks like either quality product from Fenix. Red light is great for hunting. I always have liked the ability to use my own batteries though..

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note that the provided output curve shows a significant drop in power in High and Turbo after a few dozen of minutes, in practice it is not very visible and should not be a problem. it allows a greater useful autonomy.

Wait...what?

A manufacturer provided an output curve?

That's awesome. Major compliments to Fenix for providing clarity about the nature of their output and runtime. I really hope this is the start of a trend.

The change of the minimum mode from 8 lumens in the CL20 to 1 lumen in the rechargeable version is also a welcome change.

HandyRandy

Newly Enlightened

Same way you charge your mobile phone!

So does the light's hook come off for wrapping it around a hammock ridgeline

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same way you charge your mobile phone!

So does the light's hook come off for wrapping it around a hammock ridgeline
Lol, who brings a mobile phone tent camping? Most people I know go tent camping to get a way from civilization. And, there is no service anyway at many backcountry locations.

Not sure about this new model but, it doesn't on the CL20. A miniture carabiner, like one from Niteize, works perfect to solve that problem though.

https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-MicroLock.asp

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I use a USB powerbank to charge USB devices. I wonder how it would charge solar. Also if it would operate when charging the way the CL25R does.

HandyRandy

Newly Enlightened
It will operate when charging, but only at medium or low intensity.

I just thought of the PERFECT way to hang this badboy from the ridgeline! This little guy will not only keep it fixed in place preventing slideage, but it will also keep it oriented correctly, parallel with the hammock!
https://dutchwaregear.com/mini-squeeze-hook.html
b05af61d3773ca79269ff5b38520994f.jpeg

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
I have a problem with rechargeable lanterns. Under normal circumstances, they are fine.

But for an extended power outage, give me a battery powered lantern every time.

Yeah, I know.

Buy a rechargeable battery pack.

And when that dies, use your back-up rechargeable battery pack and when that croaks, use your back-up's back-up battery pack, ad infinitum.

And, in the case of an extended power outage, break out the solar battery charger. Just pray the sun comes out long enough and strong enough to do ample charging. I won't even mention the cost of these back-up accoutrements.

Me? I've got 48 AmazonBasic D cells in the freezer and 8 more in a UST 60 day lantern.

UST rates it for 16 days straight running at 200 lumens and 60 days straight running at 20 lumens. Given that you would shut it off during the daytime and when sleeping, one set of batteries will last a LONG time.

Can it really do it? Well, I saw some Youtube reviews that were similar to my experience.

After lengthy (days long) continuous testing, at 1200, 200 and 20 lumens on the same set of D cells, I shut it off. It convinced me. This thing lasts and lasts. Further testing just seemed a waste of batteries.

That original set of D cells, though obviously dissipated, is still in the lantern and plenty strong.

With those batteries and the other 48 D cells as back-up power, I figure if I do run out of juice, the world as we know it will probably be over anyway. :)

PS - I paid $49.99, plus shipping for the UST 60 day lantern, about $10 more than the lantern reviewed here. And I can replace the power source in the UST any time it need to.

Remember, every time you charge this Fenix, it's going to accept a slightly lesser charge the next time you charge it.

When this Fenix lantern will no longer hold an adequate charge, you have two options.

You can throw it away or you can stare at it for a while and think how much Fenix sucks for making this thing with a non-replaceable battery, and THEN throw it away.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Wait...what?

A manufacturer provided an output curve?

That's awesome. Major compliments to Fenix for providing clarity about the nature of their output and runtime. I really hope this is the start of a trend.

The change of the minimum mode from 8 lumens in the CL20 to 1 lumen in the rechargeable version is also a welcome change.
Yes! Qudos to Fenix for that!

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Buying batteries is more expensive in the end. Rechargeables also can be much lighter in weight.

Everything's a trade-off. I don't mind the expense involved in buying alkalines, and I'll tell you why.

Using eight D cells, the battery life of the UST 60 day lantern is measured in DAYS for the 1200 and 200 lumen settings and a couple of MONTHS at 20 lumens.

I much prefer the dependability and much longer life of the alkaline batteries in this lantern over that of the reviewed lower powered, rechargeable battery whose battery life is measured in mere HOURS, and not very many of them.

As far as rechargeable lanterns being "lighter," yes, it's true. The UST 60 day lantern with eight D cells on board weighs three pounds, a little more than a quart of milk, plus it has a great handle on it (the lantern, not the milk). :)

Nah, weight's not a problem with this lantern. I figure if someone can't lift a quart of milk, they have bigger problems than lack of light.

Last edited:

Disneyman26

Newly Enlightened
Excited to see where the lantern market goes. From my experience the (propane/kerosene or other fuel source) Coleman lanterns still are the standard. With the evolution of LED's / Lithium batteries there will a cross over someday. This light seems like it be great for the tent environment

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Excited to see where the lantern market goes. From my experience the (propane/kerosene or other fuel source) Coleman lanterns still are the standard. With the evolution of LED's / Lithium batteries there will a cross over someday. This light seems like it be great for the tent environment

Can propane, kerosene, gasoline lanterns be used safely indoors?