BMW 1998 Z3 most effective upgrade

Sajk

Newly Enlightened
Any thoughts on this anyone. It has 9006 and 9005 bulbs in it. Currently Philips white vision on low and osram night breaker unlimited on high. My other vehicles are hid or led lit and the Z is just plain dull after them. There are aftermarket replacement lights available but would rather use the best light source instead.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any thoughts on this anyone. It has 9006 and 9005 bulbs in it. Currently Philips white vision on low and osram night breaker unlimited on high.
The Philips X-Treme Vision HB4 for the low beams, and the Philips HIR1 (with a base modification) in place of the usual HB3 for the high beams.

Both suggestions assume your headlamps are not hazed, yellowed, or crazed-- that's a 20 year old car, so it's unlikely. Get new OEM lamps before attempting any upgrade.

The wiring may also be rather weak by now-- vibration and oxidation will have taken its toll. Check for voltage losses and install relays if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Alaric's right that the headlamps themselves have to be genuine OEM items. Doesn't matter whether they come in a BMW box or a Hella/Bosch/Automotive Lighting/Magneti Marelli box, what matters is they come in one of those; all of the aftermarket lamps (TYC, Depo, etc) are garbage.

You can actually do better than the Philips Xtreme for the low beams; use 9012 bulbs for the low beams and 9011 for the high beams, trimmed in accordance with the link Alaric posted. Very important to have the lamps aimed correctly, too.

Don't even toy with the idea of putting in an "HID kit" or "LED bulbs" -- not safe, not effective, not legal.

Last edited:

Sajk

Newly Enlightened
OK thanks that's good advice on the HIR bulb retrofit. I will give that a go.

The vehicle itself has done just 35k miles and is in pretty good condition.

This stupid plastic lens covers that BMW put over the lights have some pitting and are no longer as clear as they should be so that is part of the problem.

Issue is that the lens covers can't be replaced separately (the headlights are a one piece item) and to go new OEM is minimum 1400 dollars a pair which is about 10% of the market value of the entire vehicle. The reflectors themselves appear to be in as new condition.

Aftermarket can be had for 400 dollars a pair but the quality of the actual reflectors is probably poor.

Sajk

Newly Enlightened
Alaric's right that the headlamps themselves have to be genuine OEM items. Doesn't matter whether they come in a BMW box or a Hella/Bosch/Automotive Lighting/Magneti Marelli box, what matters is they come in one of those; all of the aftermarket lamps (TYC, Depo, etc) are garbage.

You can actually do better than the Philips Xtreme for the low beams; use 9012 bulbs for the low beams and 9011 for the high beams, trimmed in accordance with the link Alaric posted.

So I understand standard 9011 9012 combo will do a better job than night breaker unlimited +120% 9005 9006 combo?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I understand standard 9011 9012 combo will do a better job than night breaker unlimited +120% 9005 9006 combo?

Definitely.

Regarding my earlier advice to use the Philips XTP HB4, this was a more conservative recommendation as I didn't have the photometric data on the Z3 lamps available. For low beams, when in doubt it's better to err towards reducing glare-- the Philips bulb is still an upgrade from standard HB4s. For high beams, it's very rare for there to be a reason not to go straight to the HIR1.

Sajk

Newly Enlightened
Definitely.

Regarding my earlier advice to use the Philips XTP HB4, this was a more conservative recommendation as I didn't have the photometric data on the Z3 lamps available. For low beams, when in doubt it's better to err towards reducing glare-- the Philips bulb is still an upgrade from standard HB4s. For high beams, it's very rare for there to be a reason not to go straight to the HIR1.

So I purchased Philips 9011 C1 to replace the osram 9005 nightbreaker 120+ and made the base mod.

To be honest there seems to be no visible difference. I only changed on side because I have an intake in the way which will have to wait for the weekend to remove so I can swap out the bulb but the old cover one side test which I know is not scientific and will get me crapped on here seems no different. So MY eyes see no better or further.

I have not been able to get clear stats on lumens night breaker unlimited 120+ vs the Philips 9011 C1. Do you have data?

The osram also seem whiter which seems to gel with the kelvin information I found.

Overall quite disappointing especially as I have to import these things at substantial shipping cost.

Did I buy the wrong 9011?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest there seems to be no visible difference.
It takes 4x the amount of light to appear to be a doubling of light. Still, there should be some visible difference. Are they starved for voltage, as I'd suggested they may be in my earlier reply?

I have not been able to get clear stats on lumens night breaker unlimited 120+ vs the Philips 9011 C1. Do you have data?
Yes, and by extension, so do you. Google, and the forum search (also a Google) are your friend.

The osram also seem whiter which seems to gel with the kelvin information I found.
White light is white. Most of the time, light that "seems" whiter than other white light simply tend toward blue (often through envelope tinting). Seeing as your Osrams employ that, it may be tricking you into thinking it's "whiter".

Did I buy the wrong 9011?
You didn't buy the Wagner-branded ones, which are Philips' *seconds* and therefore might meet the HIR1 specification but still not be good enough for Philips to put their name on. For some reason, that Philips made them in the first place is good enough for some people, but you're going to get better ones when they are branded "Philips" instead of "Wagner". (At least I'm hoping Philips isn't selling any to Wagner that actually fail to meet the HIR1 specification.) You also didn't buy PIAA or IPF. You bought the right ones.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
HIR1 bulbs put out more light than HB3 bulbs.

Take a look back at what you said in post #4 of this same thread:

This stupid plastic lens covers that BMW put over the lights have some pitting and are no longer as clear as they should be so that is part of the problem.

There is no "magic bulb" that will overcome worn-out, used-up headlamps. New headlamps are expensive? Well, yes, and so are BMWs. Expensive cars have expensive parts.

(How about the HIR2 bulbs in place of HB4 in your low beams? 1700 lumens is more light than 1000 lumens, too.)

Last edited:

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
I've never heard of someone not being able to tell the difference between 9005 and 9011, and I recommend it constantly.

Maybe reevaluate voltage, lens condition, and aim?

Sadden

Enlightened
I've never heard of someone not being able to tell the difference between 9005 and 9011, and I recommend it constantly.

Maybe reevaluate voltage, lens condition, and aim?

Yeah everytime i reccomend it too people I always get comments about how much better it is.

Sajk

Newly Enlightened
It takes 4x the amount of light to appear to be a doubling of light. Still, there should be some visible difference. Are they starved for voltage, as I'd suggested they may be in my earlier reply?

Yes, and by extension, so do you. Google, and the forum search (also a Google) are your friend.

White light is white. Most of the time, light that "seems" whiter than other white light simply tend toward blue (often through envelope tinting). Seeing as your Osrams employ that, it may be tricking you into thinking it's "whiter".

You didn't buy the Wagner-branded ones, which are Philips' *seconds* and therefore might meet the HIR1 specification but still not be good enough for Philips to put their name on. For some reason, that Philips made them in the first place is good enough for some people, but you're going to get better ones when they are branded "Philips" instead of "Wagner". (At least I'm hoping Philips isn't selling any to Wagner that actually fail to meet the HIR1 specification.) You also didn't buy PIAA or IPF. You bought the right ones.

So according to google:

Osram 9005 NB unlimited 1860 lumens
Philips 9011 C1 2350 lumens

That's about a 21% increase in output so if 4X the light results in a perception of doubling of the light then I probably cannot perceive 21% more light.

Sajk

Newly Enlightened
Yes Virgil treated the plastic with the product you recommended. The covers are not like new but are much better. I still have Philips White Vision in the low beams and I quite like them but will probably try the HIR's in low beam also.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
If you're trying to see as well as possible, get those "white vision" bulbs out of there...

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
From ECE reg 37 itself:

HB3/9005: 1,860lm +- 12% @ 13.2v
HIR1/9011: 2500lm +- 15% @ 13.2v

The worst (new) 9005 that's still legal should do no less than 1144 lm (12v, -12% tolerance), while a theoretical best (new) 9011 is 2875lm (13.2v, +15% tolerance). Now in reality these numbers mean absolutely nothing, but when you've got hazy lenses or bulbs starved for voltage you're not doing yourself any favors.

Last edited: