Starting from scratch

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Let's act as if we are on a budget. For some reason we had to sell all of our lights to get through a financial crisis. What flashlight would you purchase to begin your collection again, and why.

I'll go first, I would purchase an SC600 MKIII Hi. In my opinion it is a perfect EDC flashlight with multiple output levels that always seems to accommodate my needs.

ven

Flashaholic
Right now it would either be the sc62d (yes feel free to re-read that:p) or D4 .

Love this little light, just so easy to slip in the pocket and 18650 fed, many hours of useful light!
tJDr0lHl.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an interesting question, since most of us didn't begin in the same place where we've ended up. I've been on a trajectory from high output battery cookers to devices of more modest stats, which I consider to be more reliable. I've bought and sold quite a few.

I think I'd restart with a plain old Malkoff MD2 with M61N.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an interesting question, since most of us didn't begin in the same place where we've ended up. I've been on a trajectory from high output battery cookers to devices of more modest stats, which I consider to be more reliable. I've bought and sold quite a few.

I think I'd restart with a plain old Malkoff MD2 with M61N.

Crazy how that goes, isn't it?! :grin2:

I'm in the same boat. Brighter isn't always better but it sure can be fun sometimes. I love my Surefire 6P with M61W drop in and 18650 so I'd probably do that and Malkoff'd Mag.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely save up and buy a Haiku again! It is, hands down, the best EDC light I have ever owned!

Last edited:

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
(Almost) the same light I really started with this time: Fenix PD35 TAC (started with the 960 lm PD35 this time and still love it ;))

ven

Flashaholic
I would definitely save up and buy a Haiku again! It is, hands down, the best EDC light I have ever owned!

If i could only ever have one light from scratch, it would be a tough call but the Haiku would be up there, maybe HDS as well. Toss a coin i think...............

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
The first thing that I would do is determine if I have a tint preference. Am I a tint snob? Do I prefer warm or cool?

I would try to see examples of these tints before I bought any lights. I would then proceed with other criteria like what size/purpose/task does the light fulfill?

I would be hard pressed to pick just one light, but I think I could live with two. My HDS Rotary 200lm warm tint, and an Olight Titanium S-Mini with warm/neutral tint.

terjee

Enlightened
I'm with DIPSTIX here, and would likely start out with the SC600w Mk III HI, unless I'd go with the IV instead, or SC64c. The I'd start saving for a ZL headlamp as well, and AA SC.

If things were really tight, and I couldn't go directly there, I'd look at something like the Convoy S2+ as an interim while saving up.

Would also add a Lumintop Tool AAA for keychain use, or something similar.

ven

Flashaholic
I am at a part in my collection, that if i had to start over..............i would want all what i have again! Guess its a pretty good place to be, weeded out some over the years that were still good, just not me. So now, even though i have quite a few lights...............i would struggle getting through without them.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be a tossup between a 6P or G2 with a Nichia drop in, or a Tip. I have found over the years that while the long throwers/blasters are fun to play with, almost all of my actual use is not much further than across my living room. After that starter light it would be between a Nitecore EA11 or P30 for the second light.

ven

Flashaholic
It would be a tossup between a 6P or G2 with a Nichia drop in, or a Tip. I have found over the years that while the long throwers/blasters are fun to play with, almost all of my actual use is not much further than across my living room. After that starter light it would be between a Nitecore EA11 or P30 for the second light.

Your making me now what a first light to be 3 or 4! I would certainly have to get a 6p, defo a c2 and z2!!! Being honest, i could live without a g2...........dare i say it:tinfoil: g2z however i love!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Difficult question, but possibly a 3P + two A19 extenders, followed by a G2Z. That opens up the floodgates for all of the compatible accessories and add-ons. I just wish SF had made HA III versions of the 3P, 6P, 9P, and A19 extenders.

Archibald Tuttle

Newly Enlightened
For me it's easily another Tekna Splash-Lite. I carried one for over 30 years, and now with a warm white , L222 led lamp it's still a favorite of mine.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely an A2, the original incand version. The second one would be a McGizmo mule.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming I just came out of a financial crisis, I'd probably start with a Streamlight Stylus Pro or Surefire G2X Pro if I could swing it.
The goal, however, would be an HDS Clicky HCRI.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm at a warm fuzzy point as well where I feel like I've got it all figured out. This of course could change by tomorrow but a Vihn Nichia modded E01 and Malkoff Mdc AA and 2aa in neutral is where it's at for me. Rugged, simple,reliable, great tint and beam. Everything covered from sub lumen moon to pretty flipping bright. I'm happy.

Bucur

Enlightened
To begin a new collection from scratch, I would start with a 1x18650 because of the versatility this format offers. Most of them are capable of very long runtimes at moonlight, very high outputs for short bursts, with good mode spacing between these two extremes, and they are not prohibitively large for EDC. My pick would be the S2 Baton because it can tail stand, it features my favorite UI, and it has a removable magnet, as well as a removable but sturdy clip. If the hypothetical budget permits, I would go for the Cu version because IMO, its beauty outweighs its additional weight.

When the budget allows, the next step would be a dedicated EDC in AAA format and I would go for the Titan Plus due to its solid feel, good spaced modes and beam profile. Its max output is rather functional than show-off for me, as it eliminates the need to reach out for a bigger flashlight for short duration tasks; rendering it a purposive, very handy EDC.

Armed with a Titan Plus for EDC and an S2 Baton for general purpose illumination, I admit that I would not truly need more flashlights but I would definitely badly want to have at least a soda can sized mega flooder and an ultimate thrower but I don't know if the hypothetical budget is generous enough for an X7 Marauder (not the R due to its proprietary battery) and a TN42, respectively.

I wonder if I could resist the urge of buying some keychain lights and a few headlights but you asked for a "collection", right?:rolleyes:

Latest posts