LRI Photon Freedom

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Anyone still using this light? I found an old box that had several from my stash. I've been playing with it for the last couple of hours, remembering how to activate the hidden features.

I love the ground breaking interface, which was the standard for others to achieve.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Yes! I still keep and maintain several. One now lives on a SS bead chain around my neck 24-7. Very durable and very versatile. I like keeping them tucked away in baseball cap liners, on coat pulls, etc.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original Photon is very simple and the wonderful Photon II is slightly less simple but the Freedom is doable as well. I keep a Nitecore TIP on my person but there are times when that little guy on the keychain just makes it happen.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original Photon is very simple and the wonderful Photon II is slightly less simple but the Freedom is doable as well. I keep a Nitecore TIP on my person but there are times when that little guy on the keychain just makes it happen.
I have one as a zipper pull on my jacket and coat. The Photon II was my first LED light, and things just kind of grew from there.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, still carry one occasionally. I modded it with a warmer Nichia DS LED with shrink tubing for poor-man's "covert", and use a 2032 battery for long run time. Perfect for seeing things in the car on long trips at night. Would buy another if they upgrade the driver to a higher frequency PWM. But for its purpose, I don't hold that against it.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes! I still keep and maintain several. One now lives on a SS bead chain around my neck 24-7. Very durable and very versatile. I like keeping them tucked away in baseball cap liners, on coat pulls, etc.

Funny, a photon freedom covert lives on a bead chain around my neck 24/7 as well. Past 2-3 years. :D

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would definitely like an LED upgrade and PWM a little faster.

djj

Newly Enlightened
For you guys mentioning the PWM, what's the issue with the Freedom, specifically?

I love mine for how low it goes, how long it lasts on a coin cell, and how small it is. But the PWM is almost comical. If you swing it at arm's length at the lowest brightness, the distance between the flashes is inches. Doesn't bother me though. Carry mine daily and it's the oldest light I still use.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most times using the Freedom on low settings is OK, but using it during rain or snow is very distracting, bordering on unusable for sustained use, depending on your tolerance for such optical disarray. I get mesmerized. Otherwise the user interface could be described as timeless, and the reliability top notch.

Snapper314

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Photon II on my keychain.

It works okay to light my path and helps me avoid stepping in or on something I'd rather not at night.

But it will soon be replaced my an Inova XS.

MKLight

Enlightened
I have several and still use some of them regularly. The current one on my keychain has lived there for at least 12 years. I have Doug Ritter versions, too. I still buy them fairly regularly to give as gifts. The "platinum" body one is a nice color change. I have a few with Yugi Hi CRI LEDs, too. I like them (excellent CRI), but their "throw" isn't very far. Even with all the other lights I have, I think I will always have a Photon Freedom with me.