Help an Ultra-Newbie Choose a Light

F11

Newly Enlightened
Hey, everyone! I'm new around here and I need help choosing a light. But before I get too far into this thread, just know this: I signed up on a "different forum" and asked what is essentially the same question as this, but I can't log in now (I'm guessing it's a glitch). Just a quick FYI for people who are members of both this forum and the other forum who are wondering why the heck this dude posted twice.

All right, here goes: I am a photographer who does urban exploration and I need a good, solid light under $25.

I utilized the checklist on the sticky, so here goes:

____This will be mail-order or Online.
____Up to $25.
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I don't care about the size.
____LED.
____I want to buy either a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box, or limited run from specialty manufacturer.
____I intend to use rechargeable cells based on less common formats (preferably protected 18650).
____I would like the output to be around 700 lumens so there's less chance of me being noticed.
____I would like a good balance between flood and throw.
____I will need to see around 30-50 yards/meters.
____I will need the light running for 90-120 minutes on high.
____Durability is moderately important.
____I don't care about the switch.
____I want multiple light levels.
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III.
____ At least IPX7.
____The light will be stored in my house
____Crenulated bezel

On the other forum, a member recommended the Convoy S2+, but it looks like it would get hot quick on max brightness with no cooling fins, considering I'm most likely going to be keeping it on for at least 1 1/2 hours. I am heavily considering the 1067lm Convoy C8 with the XM-L U2-1A and the OP reflector from FastTech, but it looks like it has too much throw for my needs. As for the Odepro, I can barely find any information on it but it does look like a nice light, so I guess I'm going to need your guys' opinion on that.

Thanks!
-F11

P.S. I will try to contact an admin on the other forum, but I was having trouble signing up from the start, so I'm just gonna call it R.I.P. for now. It's just super frustrating when it says you got your username wrong every time you try to log in, but you KNOW you got it right because it's only three characters! :hairpull:

Also, one last thing: does anyone know why Google Chrome is freaking out about CPF, saying it's "dangerous"? My best guess is that it thinks people in the marketplace are gonna steal my credit card number, my house, my ultra high-def CRT TV from 1997 and most importantly, *gulp* my Dr. Pepper (take anything, just don't take my Dr. P!) in all seriousness though, I've been a lurker of CPF for a while now and never got that message. Huh. Weird.

arKmm

Enlightened
700 lumens will definitely get you noticed!

What do you need it for?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, one last thing: does anyone know why Google Chrome is freaking out about CPF, saying it's "dangerous"? My best guess is that it thinks people in the marketplace are gonna steal my credit card number, my house, my ultra high-def CRT TV from 1997 and most importantly, *gulp* my Dr. Pepper (take anything, just don't take my Dr. P!) in all seriousness though, I've been a lurker of CPF for a while now and never got that message. Huh. Weird.

- maybe some outdated security token?
Don't give out your credit card or social security card, lol.
I like Chrome for the sandboxed tab browsing, you'd think that would be enough...
One last thought, maybe you're here through some man in the middle site?
Maybe try logging out, kill the tab, and do a fresh login from typing the CPF address?

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
about your light recommendation request, I'm feeling my age now too, I was thinking "get a Rayovac 2x AA Indestructible", but yeah I guess now with Convoys and the collective genius at BLF, you Can get a badass 25$ light these days...
Just get one that has a practical selection of lower levels and you don't need to worry about how fast the high mode might drain your batteries, ceiling bounce on High for a few seconds when you're in photography mode, and use the light all night long at a sensible 1 to 150 lumens. Go nuts, bring a spare battery;
bring a spare light while you're at it.
You can quit anytime you want, that's what I tell myself...

Hey wait, I think I know why Google said CPF might be dangerous...

Last edited:

F11

Newly Enlightened
700 lumens will definitely get you noticed!

True, but I will still be less noticeable than if I had a 1000 or more lumen light.

What do you need it for?

I do urban exploration, which is basically just exploring abandoned places. Even though I do it with the property owner's consent, I just don't want the general public to notice me.

F11

Newly Enlightened
- maybe some outdated security token?
Don't give out your credit card or social security card, lol.
I like Chrome for the sandboxed tab browsing, you'd think that would be enough...
One last thought, maybe you're here through some man in the middle site?
Maybe try logging out, kill the tab, and do a fresh login from typing the CPF address?

Just tried that, didn't seem to work. It only starts to happen when I log in, but when I'm logged out and I go the the site, it works perfectly.

Also, it says, "Attackers on www.cpfmarketplace.com may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards)," but it says cpfmarketplace and not candlepowerforums so :thinking:

F11

Newly Enlightened
about your light recommendation request, I'm feeling my age now too, I was thinking "get a Rayovac 2x AA Indestructible", but yeah I guess now with Convoys and the collective genius at BLF, you Can get a badass 25$ light these days...
Just get one that has a practical selection of lower levels and you don't need to worry about how fast the high mode might drain your batteries, ceiling bounce on High for a few seconds when you're in photography mode, and use the light all night long at a sensible 1 to 150 lumens. Go nuts, bring a spare battery;
bring a spare light while you're at it.
You can quit anytime you want, that's what I tell myself...

Hey wait, I think I know why Google said CPF might be dangerous...

Thanks! I found a light called the wowtac A1 last night and it matched most my needs, except for no crenulated bezel, but I can live without that. There's a video on YouTube of a guy dropping it off a 50ft bridge, it would be pretty much perfect for my needs in terms of durability. The best thing is that it's only $20, so if it does break I can just buy another one.

Someone on BLF (where I posted my other thread, also the forum where I can't log in anymore) recommended the Convoy M1.

How do you think the A1 and M1 compare?

Sabbs1

Newly Enlightened
Just my opinion, wait save money once you get into the 50-60 dollar range things really open up and quality really "shines"

arKmm

Enlightened
True, but I will still be less noticeable than if I had a 1000 or more lumen light.

I do urban exploration, which is basically just exploring abandoned places. Even though I do it with the property owner's consent, I just don't want the general public to notice me.
I'm afraid it'd be pretty much as noticeable. There's not as much difference between 700 and 1000+ lumens as you may think, certainly in terms of covertness.

Chad Varnadore

Newly Enlightened

Most 1000 lumen lights aren't going to actually put out 1000 lumens for long - it's usually just a few minutes before they have to ramp down to avoid heat damage to the electronics, cutting lumens down to as little as half that number. 1000+ lumens is considered a short term turbo mode. Most lights will also have a high mode in the 300-500 lumen range for longer term use, along with other dimmer output levels and niche modes like SOS, beacon, strobe, moonlight.

Thanks! I found a light called the wowtac A1 last night and it matched most my needs, except for no crenulated bezel, but I can live without that. There's a video on YouTube of a guy dropping it off a 50ft bridge, it would be pretty much perfect for my needs in terms of durability. The best thing is that it's only $20, so if it does break I can just buy another one.

Someone on BLF (where I posted my other thread, also the forum where I can't log in anymore) recommended the Convoy M1.

How do you think the A1 and M1 compare?

I haven't seen the 50' bridge video, but you can pretty safely consider it a fluke, unless maybe they were dropping it onto something soft. Even the Armytek is only rated for 33 feet and it's built much better than the wowtac, comes with a 10 year guarantee and costs about 5x the price. I think the Skilhunt is a little better made than the Wowtac and mine died after only dropping it 5 feet onto concrete. It will really depend on the angle of impact, what part of the light hits first, and what type of surface it falls on. But, yeah, buying a decently made cheap light is probably a better gamble than an expensive one, unless you're going on safari or something where you'll need something more dependable, as you won't be able to just drop into a store and buy another. Even then, it'd probably be prudent to have a backup.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Convoy make some good value lights, their c8 with xpl HI is a decent thrower for under $20. For a more compact type light(still single 18650 fed), the s2/s2+ make a good budget choice. Driver and LED options, would recommend a colour temp closer to 5000k to make colours look good and less washed out than cooler temps. The M1 and M2 are both good lights, solid made, again several options and kind of fit in between the c8 and s2+ in size. I actually have a warm M2 as a glove box light(cant remember but maybe 3yr old now). I would describe the M2 which i have(has an orange peel reflector so softens the hot spot to spill transition............hot spot is not as defined/focused basically and smoother beam with less artefacts, as some smooth reflectors can show rings.) as an all round type beam, reasonable throw and bright spill.

Most are this side of $20, just make sure you order from reputable sellers. mtn electronics to name one USA side, also the man himself Simon from ali express. I have had fake convoy from banggood! So can not recommend there to order.

F11

Newly Enlightened
Convoy make some good value lights, their c8 with xpl HI is a decent thrower for under $20. For a more compact type light(still single 18650 fed), the s2/s2+ make a good budget choice. Driver and LED options, would recommend a colour temp closer to 5000k to make colours look good and less washed out than cooler temps. The M1 and M2 are both good lights, solid made, again several options and kind of fit in between the c8 and s2+ in size. I actually have a warm M2 as a glove box light(cant remember but maybe 3yr old now). I would describe the M2 which i have(has an orange peel reflector so softens the hot spot to spill transition............hot spot is not as defined/focused basically and smoother beam with less artefacts, as some smooth reflectors can show rings.) as an all round type beam, reasonable throw and bright spill.

Most are this side of $20, just make sure you order from reputable sellers. mtn electronics to name one USA side, also the man himself Simon from ali express. I have had fake convoy from banggood! So can not recommend there to order.

Is FastTech a trustworthy seller? I am heavily considering the S2+ now and I found that Fasttech had a pretty good deal on the XP-L HI V2 version with the metal tail switch (it is $4 less than Gearbest).

The S2+ fits pretty much all my criteria and even has a reversed belt/pocket clip so I can mount it on my hat (something that I was going to include in my original post but forgot).

Also, what do you think the best batteries would be for the S2+? I was looking at the Outlite 18650's on Amazon that include the charger, but they look kind of cheap... or who knows, maybe the $0.01 they saved by making all the typos on the side of the battery went to the cells... Lol. I would like to keep the price of the batteries below $15 (including a charger) and two batteries would be preferred but 1 is perfectly fine if it'll last me a long while.

P.S. I will haul a$$ over to the batteries forum if this is the wrong place for this.

F11

Newly Enlightened
Most 1000 lumen lights aren't going to actually put out 1000 lumens for long - it's usually just a few minutes before they have to ramp down to avoid heat damage to the electronics, cutting lumens down to as little as half that number. 1000+ lumens is considered a short term turbo mode. Most lights will also have a high mode in the 300-500 lumen range for longer term use, along with other dimmer output levels and niche modes like SOS, beacon, strobe, moonlight.

I heard that mentioned about a few lights on a few forums, but I guess I just didn't pay enough attention to really take notice.

I haven't seen the 50' bridge video, but you can pretty safely consider it a fluke, unless maybe they were dropping it onto something soft. Even the Armytek is only rated for 33 feet and it's built much better than the wowtac, comes with a 10 year guarantee and costs about 5x the price. I think the Skilhunt is a little better made than the Wowtac and mine died after only dropping it 5 feet onto concrete. It will really depend on the angle of impact, what part of the light hits first, and what type of surface it falls on.

Yes, it could have hit a soft spot, but the noise it made when it hit the ground didn't sound soft. Watching it back again, it could possibly be fake since there are several cuts switching between cameras, but I guess we'll never know... :shrug:

But, yeah, buying a decently made cheap light is probably a better gamble than an expensive one, unless you're going on safari or something where you'll need something more dependable, as you won't be able to just drop into a store and buy another. Even then, it'd probably be prudent to have a backup.

Just what I was thinking; buy an inexpensive but durable main light and bring an extra light in case the main light breaks, and if it does, just go online and buy a new one.

F11

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid it'd be pretty much as noticeable. There's not as much difference between 700 and 1000+ lumens as you may think, certainly in terms of covertness.

Now that I put some thought into it, you are correct. I never took into account that the light would be moving, not to mention if I accidentally point it at someone's face. Now I feel a bit dumb for not thinking about those things first :ohgeez:

Chad Varnadore

Newly Enlightened
I heard that mentioned about a few lights on a few forums, but I guess I just didn't pay enough attention to really take notice.

Yes, it could have hit a soft spot, but the noise it made when it hit the ground didn't sound soft. Watching it back again, it could possibly be fake since there are several cuts switching between cameras, but I guess we'll never know... :shrug:

Just what I was thinking; buy an inexpensive but durable main light and bring an extra light in case the main light breaks, and if it does, just go online and buy a new one.

Lights ramping down the brightness either on a timed setting or a temperature regulated setting is pretty much par for lights in the 700-900 lumen range too. But any light over 1000 lumens won't be able to sustain it for more than 5 to 10 minute. The brighter single cell lights that put out 1500-2500 lumens can barely maintain their peak brightness for more than a minute.

Just to be clear, I wasn't accusing the video of being fake. I was saying it was likely a fluke, an occurrence unlikely to be repeated. Whether the light is actually on or off and how hot it is will also play a part. While I've seen videos of people tossing lights 40 feet across a parking light without damaging them, I've seen far more drop tests where they failed after being dropped from a height of 6 feet or less, which is actually farther than most are actually rated for. How loud it sounded could have more to do with the position of the mic than anything.

Unfortunately cheap and durable don't usually go hand in hand. It's hard enough to find relatively expensive and durable. Convoy makes a pretty solidly built light though. They aren't always overachievers in terms of features and power like more expensive brands (Nitecore, Armytek, Klarus, Zebra) etc. But, from what I've seen they seem more reliably designed and made than most in the $40 and under price range. For the C8 and S2 which are easily found less for under $20 it seems a no-brainer. My only experience with Convoy is with an S2+ UV LED I got from GearBest a while ago, though. While I've used it a surprising amount for a limited purpose light, it's not something I carry daily. It's got a nice heft to it and great (anodized?) finish. I wouldn't clip it to the brim of a ball cap though - it seems too heavy for that and probably a little long. It might be worth trying it in a headlight headband turned to the side of your head though.

Last edited:

F11

Newly Enlightened
How do you guys feel about this S2+ here: https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_277700.html?wid=21

I like the color a bit better than the black version, which is surprising to hear from me (black is my favorite color). Plus it has a metal tail switch, which I'm guessing lasts a lot longer than rubber.

What batterie(s) would you guys recommend for this light if I were to get it? I think I have some nice (unprotected) LG or Samsung 18650s lying around from an old laptop battery, I just can't find them, nor do I have any (safe) way to charge them. Also, a protected battery would give me a lot more peace of mind (I like to charge stuff over night when I'm asleep).

EDIT: I heard that Mtn. Electronics was good, and they have a bundle that includes the green S2+, a protected Samsung ICR18650-26F and a charger for $25, and I don't have to worry about a crappy battery or a fake light. Might just be the one I get after all, but I would still like your guys' opinion on it.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
BLF designed the Q8 which runs on 4 18650 batteries, has the best User Interface available. 5,000 Lumens, currently $79 at BangGood. I know that is over budget, but this is an incredible value with ramping that will allow you to fine tune exactly how much light you want and sustain it a long time...
I second the S2+ with a Nichia 219, as your backup...

F11

Newly Enlightened
BLF designed the Q8 which runs on 4 18650 batteries, has the best User Interface available. 5,000 Lumens, currently $79 at BangGood. I know that is over budget, but this is an incredible value with ramping that will allow you to fine tune exactly how much light you want and sustain it a long time...
I second the S2+ with a Nichia 219, as your backup...

That Q8 is an absolute beast. It's like the Nitecore Tiny Monster, just... probably a bit better and less expensive. I would love to buy it, but it's just way over my price range and weighs a bit over 1lb with all four batteries, which is like carrying around a rubber mallet with you for 2+ hours.

There doesn't seem to be many flashlights with the Nichia chip in them, and the only one I was able to find (the EagleTac light) was $61, which is more than I would like to pay for a backup. I could always just use my MiniMag as a backup.

ven

Flashaholic
Fasttech can be alright, but for me ,Simon at Ali express guarantees a genuine convoy. For a couple of $ more(maybe) it's where I would be putting my money tbh.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's probably a few really good deals around the 25$ mark, but not that many. If the wowtek is an awesome light you can be pretty sure there will be posts here and on BLF raving about it.
Light intensity obeys the power square law, double the distance requires quadruple the power to reach with the same intensity... now consider that the light has to bounce back to your eyes from that doubled distance and you're looking at more like 8x needed to see the same brightness 2x as far away (or is that 16x?).
Long story short 1000 lumens isn't much brighter than 700 lumens at all, beam shape is where it's at for seeing further away.
- and lights that claim less and have many better reviews are going to almost certainly make you a lot happier than lights which promise a lot more but have few reviews.