Low power, long running laser suggestion

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several. relatively low-power lasers which I use for distracting/entertainment purposes for my pets. My difficulty is the fact that all of these lasers recommend 30-60 second bursts of "on"--illumination interspaced with much longer periods of "off"--cooling cycle. Can anyone recommend a laser which provides clear projection to 40-50-feet with minimal probable safety compromises, powered by something such as AA batteries (for size and availability) which may offer continuous use spanning several minutes without damaging the emitter? Now, that being said, I'm not limited to various battery types..sizes....the long-run and throw and safety aspects paramount. Let me know what you may suggest. Thanks in advance.

Karl

Bradford717

Newly Enlightened
I have several. relatively low-power lasers which I use for distracting/entertainment purposes for my pets. My difficulty is the fact that all of these lasers recommend 30-60 second bursts of "on"--illumination interspaced with much longer periods of "off"--cooling cycle. Can anyone recommend a laser which provides clear projection to 40-50-feet with minimal probable safety compromises, powered by something such as AA batteries (for size and availability) which may offer continuous use spanning several minutes without damaging the emitter? Now, that being said, I'm not limited to various battery types..sizes....the long-run and throw and safety aspects paramount. Let me know what you may suggest. Thanks in advance.

Karl
For your application needs, I would probably just grab a cheap SD 303 around 5mw. They use 1 18650 battery and can last for up to a week per battery. I would use caution though making sure that it was a 5mw and not someone trying to get rid of their 200 - 500mw lasers (FDA Crackdown). That probably wouldn't kill your pet but it could blind them. Just make sure you don't aim it in their eyes. I know accidents do happen and their eyes are way smaller and could be damaged easier. It would also depend on what type of pets too I would guess if cats them being color blind would also become a factor.