Giants of the throw in the sky of Rome

Gigaslux

Newly Enlightened
file.php

I've enjoyed making a comparative tests between the major throw torches: the Thrunite TN42vn NW and the Acebeam X65vn NW, alongside with what is currently considered to be the world's most powerful portable HID torch: the Lemax LX70 SuperPower (right now offered at 25% off!).

I chose the X65 because - even though it has less candles than other torches - it has a wider and shaded hotspot that lets you better see what you are lighting. With the tiny TN42 hotspot, it's often necessary to "investigate" a bit by moving the spot here and there.

Living in Rome, I went on the terrace of Pincio hill which dominates most of the city and I lighted some of the emerging elements of the urban fabric, not the most important of course, as they were already well lit by the city authorities.

No wonder about the short distances reached by the bright beams. Though it was a fairly clear day for a city like Rome, the night gravitates on the city a luminescent haze due to the artificial illumination that reduces the light of the torches. Suffice it to think that the HID spot of the LX70, which should reach 4.2km, was barely visible on the dark part of the dome of St. Peter in the Vatican, which according to Google Earth is exactly 1600m (one mile) afar from Pincio's terrace.
So the test is little useful to evaluate the absolute brightness of the torches but it is still good as a comparative test, as the haze reduced the beam of all the torches.

A due observation about the photo at the top right, with the lantern of a dome lit by the HID torch. The lantern looks a little brighter than it really was. The fact is due to the inability of the camera sensor to record high lights, over 95%, so that a white area without any detail appears making the light to seems dazzling. In fact in pictures with darker subjects, the difference in light intensity is smaller.

From the test, it is clear that the LED torches have still some way to go before matching the HID torches, especially as the LX70 SuperPower that at 70W produces 4.500cd. Conversely, LED torches are much more versatile, with multiple levels of brightness, special performance such as strobe, S.O.S. etc. Of course they are also more pocket-sized and light weight. To be honest, I fell in love with the new Lemax LX70 SuperPower not only for its great performances but also for its amazing design, the robustness, versatility and reliability, which I'd never found before in any HID torch. When I don't use it I keep it in the living room over a table, face down, like a modern art sculpture!

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comparative beamshots of these three stellar lights. The Superpower is on my want list. :)

Capolini

Banned
Thanks,,,,,,,,,

I SOLD my TN42vn. My biggest thrower now is the TK61vn V4 1800Lumens/770Kcd

I have family in Italy. I have been there 3 times.

My cousin lives in Appia Antica. I am sure you know where that is. It is on the Appian way,,,,much darker where he lives,,,sort of like where I live!

The place where I would like to shine my Lights is where my Grandmother and her family was born, In the mountains near Ascoli Piceno...Near Acquasanta terme,,,San Martino to be exact.

Picture of the mountains where my Grandmother was born,,,Gran Sasso National Park

italia_disc_2_348.jpg

TK61vn V4 on the trail

TK61vn_.11.jpg

Capolini

Banned
The spec 2 of the TN42vn reaches 1940m (1,2 miles) !!

I had the CW version.

Spec 1 XHP35 HI CW 6500K
Lumen: 2400
Lux: 775
Throw: 1760m 1600 more lumens and ONLY 84m to 180m meters less throw than XPG2,,easy decision.

How many people can see what a beam looks like 1 mile away?!!!BIGGER hot spot and MORE peripheral light is more appealing unless your trying to locate a buoy, in the fog!

The XPG2 version is for those who like pencil beams w/ only 850 lumens! Still impressive but not my cup of tea!

My picture of the Gran Sasso Mts. is more impressive!:poke: