looking for 26650 batteries less than 26.8 mm diameter

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a few 3C sized flashlights that I would like to use a spacer, and a 26650 battery.

C cells are listed as 26.2 mm.
My lights have an inside diameter of 26.8 mm.

I bought some SoShine 5500 mah protected cells that don't fit. They are 26.9 mm in diameter.
HKJ has them listed at 26.1 mm.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Test-Review-of-Soshine-26650-5500mAh-(Black)

I also bought LiitoKala Lii-50A 5000 mah batteries, (black) and they are 27.1 mm.
Gearbest has them listed as 2.6 cm which is 26.0 mm. WRONG!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for suggestions for 26650 batteries that have an actual measurement of less than 26.8 mm.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Either the batteries have been changed (by the manufacturer) or you measurements are wrong.
26.9 and 27.1 is suspicious large values, most bare cells are very close to 26.0 and the extra diameter is from the wrapper (one or two layer) and the sealing of the wrapper, this will usual not add a mm to the diameter..

ven

Flashaholic
I know not 26650, but how about 20700 as an option. Sure near or up to 4000mah and could space out with some nylon pipe or even elec tape around centre. This way no diameter issues and still high mah(and amp rating for that matter).

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for suggestions for 26650 batteries that have an actual measurement of less than 26.8 mm.
Total and final diameter of any cell after wrapping may vary few tenth of mm and more important they are not perfectly cylindrical or possibly oval. Also some manufacturer may have different size (diameter) of case and different thickness of heat shrink wrapper.
On top of these, some portion of heat shrink may get thinner but other portion thicker after shrinking.
I have seen some cases that only 4/5 length of battery goes freely inside flashlight barrel but fully and freely get inside if install backward (negative in) while other same size/brand battery has no problem either way.
Based on this, I have made all 26xxx custom bodies with minimum diameter of 26.9mm to accomodate all 26mm available batteries.

Poppy

Flashaholic
HKJ,
Do you still have those Shoshine batteries? Are you willing to recheck their diameter, please?
Could I have gotten a counterfeit? Possibly. IDK.
Could my measurements be off? Maybe, but I think I am close, unless my vernier caliper is off.

Ven,
Thanks for the thought, but the slight increase in mah, (over 18650's) IMO wouldn't be worth it, (as I already have a bunch of them).

HKJ

Flashaholic
Do you still have those Shoshine batteries? Are you willing to recheck their diameter, please?

I found them and 26.1 is correct.

Could I have gotten a counterfeit? Possibly. IDK.

The diameter do not fit a counterfeit either.

Could my measurements be off? Maybe, but I think I am close, unless my vernier caliper is off.

Do you use it correctly? https://www.miniphysics.com/how-to-read-a-vernier-caliper.html

I use a digital caliper (I do also have some vernier calipers around, but I do not really use them anymore).

Poppy

Flashaholic
I found them and 26.1 is correct.

The diameter do not fit a counterfeit either.

Do you use it correctly? https://www.miniphysics.com/how-to-read-a-vernier-caliper.html

I use a digital caliper (I do also have some vernier calipers around, but I do not really use them anymore).
HKJ,
Thanks so much for taking the time to dig them out and remeasure them.
Thanks to your link, I checked my vernier caliper and found that it has a 0.2 mm error, and therefore me measurements are off by that little bit. It is reading too large.

I have a micrometer, perhaps I can re-learn how to read it and do conversions to see how that compares.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
micrometers are much better for measuring diameters than calipers.