20W AC/DC Driver Recommendation w/ Dimming Function

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a 20W AC to DC driver for a UV inspection lamp that I'm putting together. I've purchased a 12" automotive LED light bar and will be swapping out the white LED's with the LiteOn brand 365nm UV emitters. The plan is to wire 10 in series with a maximum drive current of 500 mA. According to the datasheet, the Vf at this current is 4.0 volts. This will be my first project that uses line voltage, so I'm a bit out of my element when looking at these types of drivers.

I've had my eye on the Meanwell HLG-40H-48 Type A, due to the simplicity of using a pot to dim the string of LED's. It looks like most other AC/DC drivers require PWM or 0-10V dimmers, which from what I understand require a separate power source. These type of drivers aren't out of the question, but it will add to the complexity for where I plan to mount the fixture.

Are there any other drivers that you would recommended?

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a 20W AC to DC driver for a UV inspection lamp that I'm putting together. I've purchased a 12" automotive LED light bar and will be swapping out the white LED's with the LiteOn brand 365nm UV emitters. The plan is to wire 10 in series with a maximum drive current of 500 mA. According to the datasheet, the Vf at this current is 4.0 volts. This will be my first project that uses line voltage, so I'm a bit out of my element when looking at these types of drivers.

I've had my eye on the Meanwell HLG-40H-48 Type A, due to the simplicity of using a pot to dim the string of LED's. It looks like most other AC/DC drivers require PWM or 0-10V dimmers, which from what I understand require a separate power source. These type of drivers aren't out of the question, but it will add to the complexity for where I plan to mount the fixture.

Are there any other drivers that you would recommended?

The drivers "source" 0-10V out. There are passive 0-10V dimmers. They are brutally expensive considering what is in them. You can them with a potentiometer. What value to use will be a bit different depending on the driver vendor. Something in the 10K - 100K range will be what you need. You can also use a cheap 0-10V power supply (or 0-15V) to control the driver.