AA recharable battery suggestions

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm looking for any suggestions for a good set of AA rechargeable batteries.

I have a gps navigation handheld unit that uses AAs, plus other mobile handheld equipment that uses AA batteries.

In the past I've used standard non-rechargeable AA batteries and looking for any suggestion for longer lasting rechargeable batteries to use for extended use in off-grid environments (no shore power for months at a time)

Only power available would be vehicle 12 volt battery or possibly a solar panel.

I have a a couple cylindrical cell 4x lithium/nimh chargers that use a 12 volt power source and have been looking at various 4x and 2x USB powered cylindrical cell chargers such as the LiitoKala 2x and 4x Lii-402 Intellicharger (USB (5 volts) charges both nimh and lithium cylindrical cells.

After looking around for nimh AA rechargeable batteries I come across deals on eBay, such as e.g.

RECHARGEABLE, AA Batteries, 4 Pack, 2450mAh NiMH (1.2V) CVS brand

* Tenergy Premium AA 2500mah NiMH Rechargable Batteries- 4 Pack

EXPOCELL MH90204B - 4x AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries 2600 mAh 2.6Ah Manufacture year 2016 card pack

4x EBL 2300mAh AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries

* Duracell rechargeable batteries aa 4 pack long life ion core 2500 NiMH 1.2

and others

I'm uncertain what to look for except perhaps a name brand such as e.g. * Duracell and Tenergy ?

I suppose I could just purchase a large pack 16, 20+ pack of non rechargeable but thought I would give the rechargeable AAs a try again. I've had a few AA rechargeable years past (some came with a charger) but most, even the named brand ones, bit the dust sooner than expected. ( less expensive imports last perhaps an ~hour or so with less demand current). I eventually switched back to non-rechargeables, but now again, want to try some rechargeable AAs and looking for any suggestions. As the market is flooded with inexpensive rechargeable batteries, some rated at ~2000 & ~3000 mah and higher I've measured their actual capacity to be somewhere between ~150 to perhaps ~400 mah maximum.

I've also thought about the 14500 Lithiums (approx. or same size as AA with and without protection circuit) However these are much more expensive and have less capacity than many NiMH AA's. Most I've looked at use a ~4 volt cell that's converted to ~1.2 volts and require a proprietary charger.

The better ones on the market are manufactured by KENTLI, run just under $50.00 with charger and shipping for a pack of four. (~$9.25 each for a pack of four.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SXV9Z4U/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
As per your suggestion, found a pack of four Panasonic eneloop NiMH 2000mAh (min. 1900mAh) + Box for $11.90 with shipping.

Brand: Panasonic MPN: 990-00053-590 UPC: 4013674066766

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

AFAIK, these are genuine Eneloops. Sold by Horizon Battery. The purchases are backed by eBay's Money Back Guarantee which I find to be fairly solid and reliable. If you ever have problems with an eBay purchase, after first attempting to contact the seller, it's easy enough to open a dispute case, where you can provide data, information, pics, etc. eBay sellers are required to respond within a time frame to any open disputes.

Also found a pack of 8 Tenergy Premium NIMH Rechargeable AA 2500mah for $15.99.

I'm not certain how the Tenergy Premium 2500mah compare to Panasonic Eneloops 2000mAh. Looking at the purchases again I could have gotten 12 x Eneloops 2000mAh for $26.00, which is about the same price as 4x eneloops 2000mah and 8 x Tenergy Premium 2500mah.
_____

Came across a LiitoKala Lii-402 Smart Battery Intellicharger with delivery from China for $10.90. I've ordered items from China in the past some have arrived in a ~week while others can take much longer, e.g. more than one or two months.

Haven't really been able to find any thorough reviews specifically for the LiitoKala Lii-402, but the specifications are fairly impressive for a ten dollar usb charger.

• Input by DC interface and working voltage is 5V-2A (Micro plug). Micro USB DC 5V input is for four independent charging with micro computer management system.
  • Four charging current mode like 500mAh,700mAh,1000mAh,2000mAh and 2000mAh current mode is fixed only on the fourth slot.
  • The LED indicators display the charging status like 25%,50%,75%,100% and battery type like Ni-MH 1.2V , Li-Fe 3.2V, Li-ion 3.7V, Li-ion 3.85V
  • Built with 5V/1000mAh USB discharge (output) function. Identify Li-ion and Ni-MH batteries automatically and adjust charging mode for LiFePO4 and 3.85V li-ion batteries manually.
  • Refresh for OV battery. It can't charge any battery of1.65 -1.85V (refresh current can be detected only) Protection for over-charge and over-discharge and short circuit. Identify broken battery and polar reverse inspection

Input : Micro USB DC 5V/2A
Output: 1.42V, 4.2V±0.05V, 3.65±0.05V, 4.35±0.05V

USB Output function: Current: 2000mA*1 1000mA*2 700mA*3 500mA*4
Constant voltage, cut-off current: less than 100mAh
Standby current: less than 15mAh
Open-circuit voltage of USB output : 4.9-5.3V; and the 4th slot is fixed for the USB discharge power source
Output current: 1000mAh
Open circuit current: <1mAh
The corresponding voltage is 4.75-5.25V under 1000mAh current
Cut-off voltage for discharge protection: 3.0±0.1V
Compatibility: Li-ion/IMR: 18650, 18490, 18350, 17670, 17500, 16340(RCR123), 14500, 10440

I have other multi chemistry cylindrical cell chargers that require a 12 VDC power source, and was looking for a usb charger to use in a vehicle, that doesn't require alot of current to charge e.g. AAs and 18650s. Potentially can be powered using solar and 5 volt usb power banks. I have several power banks with 5 volt output, that use 18650 lithium batteries. The power banks supply enough power to run cell phones, a usb charger, etc. at least for a while.

Last edited:

row111

Newly Enlightened
As noted, Eneloops are supposed to be great.

I have used Powerex, and they are very good. I used to only be able to get them from Thomas distributing, but Ama zon has them now.

There are reviews on the web, which are necessary because many of these rechargeables are nowhere as good as they claim. Realistic is 2400 - 2800 mAh, with good reviews. I have not seen realistic (i.e., lots of good reviews) claims beyond that power level. So, watch out for low prices on other brands claiming 2500 mAh.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I'm uncertain what to look for except perhaps a name brand such as e.g. * Duracell and Tenergy

"Made in Japan." While there are some decent cells out of China now, cells made in Japan come out of one factory. That alone isn't a guarantee of quality, but comparing listed specs and part numbers can help you sort out essentially rebadged Eneloops, like the Ikea Ladda in the white wrapper (or tan I believe for the low capacity, high cycle variant) or some versions of Amazon Basics. Some runs of large brands like Duracell were also made in Japan and prove to be decent cells.

I don't think 14500s make sense for your use case.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the 2100 charge Panasonic Eneloops or the newest version Eneloop Pro batteries (black ones) you can find. Avoid anything else that says it's over 2500 mAh for AA (most die within 10-50 charges). The better Duracell batteries (they do have some low capacity lousy ones) will either be rebranded Rayovac Hybrids (low self discharge, but doesn't last as long, work in cold, or work in as high drain devices as Eneloops), or earlier generation Eneloops with fewer charges and less cold tolerance. Tenergy batteries are mostly overrated garbage. Eneloop Pro batteries have higher capacity per cell, Regular Eneloops have less capacity but can have upwards of 2 to 4 times more charges.

J888www

Newly Enlightened
Get the 2100 charge Panasonic Eneloops or the newest version Eneloop Pro batteries (black ones) you can find. Avoid anything else that says it's over 2500 mAh for AA (most die within 10-50 charges).

I beg to differ.
Eneloop is a Brand, used to belong to Sanyo now owned by Panasonic. Due to cost cutting, Panasonic are also sourcing Eneloop batteries from China as the manufacturing plant in Japan is now in Fujitsu ownership. With new technology moving ahead quickly, it would be prudent for Fujitsu to keep something better than previous generations of Eneloop for themself.

The current best AAA AA rechargeable batteries are Fujitsu LSD Pro, made in Japan, manufactured in the Takasaki Plant.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I had great luck with the white Eneloops and older Duraloops (rebagged Eneloops). The newer 2500 mAh Duraloops are failing after only a few dozen charges. The Duraloops from 8 years ago work better.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW I have been running a particular pair of AA Duracell "pre-charged" cells since probably 2007 and they are still going strong. They will run for over 50min with a Malkoff M31W before significantly dropping off!

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I beg to differ.
Eneloop is a Brand, used to belong to Sanyo now owned by Panasonic. Due to cost cutting, Panasonic are also sourcing Eneloop batteries from China as the manufacturing plant in Japan is now in Fujitsu ownership. With new technology moving ahead quickly, it would be prudent for Fujitsu to keep something better than previous generations of Eneloop for themself.

The current best AAA AA rechargeable batteries are Fujitsu LSD Pro, made in Japan, manufactured in the Takasaki Plant.

How about these? Link: http://a.co/d/2KhOwPV