Looking for new every day carry light, has to be two AAA sized with a tail cap

ministrymike

Newly Enlightened
Hello there:

Looking to get some advice for my new every day carry light. I currently have a primary Pelican 1920 in my left front pocket, but the electronics in it are starting to go. I'm debating if I should pick up the new generation Pelican 1920 which has increased lumen output, or to try something else.

My requirements are:

2 AAA sized as I need the extra length in case I have to use it to hammer something
Click switch at the back so it's intuitive for me to use and lines up what what I have on my Surefires in the car and at home
Preferably something that goes to the brightest mode right away as the button goes on
Pocketclip that is non clip on or easy to remove
Darker colour preferred as I do not like drawing attention to my light
No real need for extra long throw, though it is something I wouldn't mind
No real need for extra wide flood,

Light wise, been looking at next generation Pelican 1920, or Thrunite Ti4 (though I don't like having to through the modes to get the brightest right away)

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. Really appreciated.

khaleeq

Newly Enlightened
Got my Klarus P20 penlight yesterday. I love it. The only problem it has is the pocket clip is non-removable. Three brightness levels, that is 4 lumins, 60 lumins and 230 lumins. Back clicky. It has mode memory. 90+ CRI. Very well balanced beam. Costs around 30$.

gsr

Enlightened
The Maratac AAAx2 is a nice little light that checks most of your boxes. The pocket clip is clipped on to the body, but has proven quite secure.

ministrymike

Newly Enlightened
Got my Klarus P20 penlight yesterday. I love it. The only problem it has is the pocket clip is non-removable. Three brightness levels, that is 4 lumins, 60 lumins and 230 lumins. Back clicky. It has mode memory. 90+ CRI. Very well balanced beam. Costs around 30$.

Thanks for the information, checking it out now. Seems to be harder to find in Canada though.

ministrymike

Newly Enlightened
The Maratac AAAx2 is a nice little light that checks most of your boxes. The pocket clip is clipped on to the body, but has proven quite secure.

Thanks for the suggestion on it. Looks like it's a great light idea, but not sure about the clip on pocket clip. I have had multiple Fenix and Thrunite clip on pocket clips and they have failed to hold many times. That's why permanently attached clips are best for me in my pocket. But 385 lumens is crazy from 2 AAA...

ministrymike

Newly Enlightened
You need a 2AAA size in case you need to use it to hammer something? :rolleyes:

There is a secondary emergency defensive use, grabbing the light in my hand and using it in hammer strike to create distance form someone. I work in an area that is a little rougher and like having an option to protect myself if needed.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Oh...when you said "hammer something" I was thinking nails or other inanimate objects, not people.
Not sure, but I think CPF in general kind of stays away from discussing lights as weaponry. I think I read that somewhere here...🤔

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a secondary emergency defensive use, grabbing the light in my hand and using it in hammer strike to create distance form someone. I work in an area that is a little rougher and like having an option to protect myself if needed.

You'd be better off with a can of bear spray, than a 2xAAA flashlight. I mean seriously. I have a Mini Mag here and I couldn't beat off a fly with it, unlike my two 6D MagLites.

Chris

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd be better off with a can of bear spray, than a 2xAAA flashlight. I mean seriously. I have a Mini Mag here and I couldn't beat off a fly with it, unlike my two 6D MagLites.

Chris

... mod edit ...

Pepper spray may be more effective at range, but a light is something with a daily use to help incentivize you to actually carry it. Lights generally also aren't prohibited in places like bars or government offices (like the DMV), but in some states, I believe pepper spray is. Even my employer prohibits it.

It's also much more restricted in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Oh...when you said "hammer something" I was thinking nails or other inanimate objects, not people.
Not sure, but I think CPF in general kind of stays away from discussing lights as weaponry. I think I read that somewhere here...🤔

Correct Johnny ... no more discussion along those lines here, please

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies for the details about defensive use in my post. I'll refer back to the rules to try to better understand where the line for that topic is.

Anyway - regardless of the reason for wanting 2x AAA, I think most of the options have been covered except the Lumintop IYP365, which I think it pretty similar to the Maratac, with a bit lower maximum output.

ministrymike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for their feedback. Didn't realize that we're not allowed to talk about use of lights defensively. Again, that's not the primary intent of the light, but a secondary emergency use. Kinda like how we never want to test the crumple zones in our cars, but we know that they are there just in case.

Looking at the Klarus, streamlight, protec, Pelican, or foursevens Preon 2 right now. Will hopefully update when I've made my choice.

MadAmos

Newly Enlightened
I have had very good luck with the previous generation Peron P2. Always in an outside pocket of my work bag, fed Eveready industrial AAA Alkaline batteries never fails to work.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
My Protac 2AAA just broke into two pieces. It is not durable at all. I used it together with a Magmini 2AAA, they got the same abuse at my workplace (I work in a factory), and the Protac simply broke one day.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Klarus P20 has an extremely tight pocket clip that can't come loose accidentally. It's almost to tight, sometimes.