Vehicle Emergency Light

kmonroe

Newly Enlightened
Budget < $200 preferred.

Looking for a light to store with first aid kit in vehicle. Long, unused storage capability desired, any battery format. Light would be used for vehicle emergencies, including first aid. Headlamp or handheld would be fine.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I believe that for long term storage, a light powered by CR123 or other non-rechargeable lithium batteries is preferable. They have long (years) shelf life, work in extreme temperature conditions and are resistant to leakage. Avoid alkaline.
For a first aid kit, a light with High CRI would be good (renders more accurate skin color). Don't know how big your first aid kit is but I would imagine a single AA or even 2xAA would be as big as you could go if your kit is as small as mine. Just thinking...the above may at least help narrow your search!

Myself, I have a stainless Lumintop Worm w/Nichia powered by a Energizer Ultimate lithium in my (rather tiny) car kit but always have bigger lights somewhere on my person anyway.

Last edited:

terjee

Enlightened
I'd like to strongly recommend a look at Zebralight AA headlamps. For both "car things" and first aid, having both hands free can make a huuuge difference. These are also quality devices, yet well within budget.
I agree that high cri is a good choice, which lands you with the models ending in the letters c or d. Letter alone is spot+spill, if there's an F in front of it, it's floody.

I also agree (strongly) with the recommendation of lithium primary, but the L91 lithium primaries in AA-form factor have an even greater shelf life than CR123A ones do. If cold weather is a thing where you live, they'll also do well in low temperatures.

Your budget would actually allow for both such a headlamp, and a "normal" flashlight from the same vendor. If possible, then I'd get both, and stash one in the glove compartment, and the other in the first aid kit.

Edit to add; quarter twist of tail cap gives full lockout, so you wouldn't risk the battery being drained when you'd need it the most.

arKmm

Enlightened
I use a good old fashioned Maglite but with LED drop-in to bring the brightness up.

If I had the money, I'd get a dedicated dock-charger light. That way it will always be ready to go and easy to find. The newest generation Magcharger or a Stinger DS LED HL would be good choices.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a 2nd gen 3D Mag LED and a cheap but decent home depot husky 3 AAA headlamp for handsfree use (tire changes and the like). I keep the mag loaded with L91 energizer lithiums in adapters I also have enegizer lithiums in the head lamp.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have a SF 6P with a Malkoff M61LL loaded with CR123 primaries and 4 spares in the glove box. In addition I have an older Black Diamond headlamp with Lithium batteries for hands free work. Lastly I have 3 road flares. To other drivers nothing says "BE CAREFUL, MOVE OVER" like a flare. They can also be used as emergency lighting or fire.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
In our dedicated truck bag we have an Acebeam K60, a Fenix HL55 headlamp and (8) PF-200 PowerFlares.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't have any ZL lights, but terjee's points are not only well made, but also well founded.
I would like to add that setting the scene safe is one of the most important issues for the first responder to accomplish. In my car I have two immediately available Rayovac indestructible 2AA lights each with a RED traffic cone diffuser. They would be used to direct traffic AWAY from me!
They are powered by Duracell NiMH rechargeables, but I have a 4 pack of the energizer L91 Lithium AA primaries in the glove box for back-up.
NiMH does almost as well in temperature extremes as Lithium primaries, and they can be recharged after use.

IzXE26lajandTm58wL9Jb5_RCHl3VVcurey1vcbhe38hasvvN6MVITF20WvBTddMUyjTLlW39FtPr68Njlb6e8aBoCI8Pwu_T3zEmvE-AcqKKus55xjdbmYPh8wGnTBw4RXErRz1044GOrdV-WYmAVrp_Ey7XnSi-xuQefDwEESxHmxM6K53y_HDJSkb_RCxu6VnLHd6hWdZeELAHtyDbqLiNLlAVoZ945qLzuLobtbYiQ19A35_XE6bnoWV9XbkwOBAJE30rXFgSODX8422h1mEjTYdMZtDlNA2gdd73DNN8pdHVR-j8Kar9NOPCb86hkuEvXuWr4iGv79fCWnkEr8t2K958VUkYCI4aMzu3652P-5yr29uhj0W9gPh9j0O7_jSy8DEIve5FjxCGHfd4UmqW0pDCqPfSGMizcsWyIRMsPGPE-gE0IDd17TxqO7aAQo2nimDD_mkK0otpni4NtLBAojrHiqeFWNIm73qEeanEOHUkz2LCktG9QPUlPhzUBm5Ai3ZG6ZRiLTU8yi2OMKeBURigleCVF_K0DdHwEhbHGWRPWjxqbM92nMW8Gc8GWI2dQTl8zgkBi6iL6fn-LXXtzBk6YJrRMPi87vMvTxLY8HVmbqZSiQy3PA0ziUUHpOIVT7DaAuUpfSPq7BaqOeArTjslyVZK9Q=w433-h769-no

TQ34P5YDw1TyiougrGavdSUswF5NN-E7vjo5aP27Mh9MGDYqJc8mi7JavOsm63t9FwzXBl_pGuQZJXNkwdcbY6xwWFz7mGxH4zjnKLJuDWA-uWuNPsarayYvBUKdSoPDJb8CY4HzIV2YxqLWh5D8Fs4hpEguJswkOquPEm4T7mMAPKxL1Wf09OvnfigHfhHZBLUZYDBWSGqG43bfVwETXnwCN4ngBxphhqHN2ExazdXWLlzLUnEg2l6nm7G3M7aIN2TyLWXL3y10Bb3k9m654dAr8tUMbBfL-Wp5B5Pv1rZ1FxEE0Ys2-PGer5-RFerGe7VB3Ie-6CVJnNEyJRMr61YmaDzimZiXwpgDeEV1WLbPsnJv7hgE2D43DVyUDknUoJGpxagVrxywkfMxJQpDoQY_SiutzZF5akk7nLKsoeMJHIrsXJ63nHfCwGore_yGqqjUyOL9GS5n28c5szYr-n60MXqorcSiNSjUqBDWXZxXKzTImtAiWs5_l-S0ZO7q9ifaNCZB5kna3MLir9Q0DEyBIqXfSbiI1NqNueY_exJa_jpI1FmN2ulePpRq3Lc-PJIMaG3MemDBZMqVZhDBR0-CMMJCLgOaVs3-FZiXkvl2ansCdUI4E8J3ZN5AwcGpjqXx9LwKjcz2OI-cCQHrw8Q3T3cTXbumKJw=w433-h769-no

I'd like to strongly recommend a look at Zebralight AA headlamps. For both "car things" and first aid, having both hands free can make a huuuge difference. These are also quality devices, yet well within budget.
I agree that high cri is a good choice, which lands you with the models ending in the letters c or d. Letter alone is spot+spill, if there's an F in front of it, it's floody.

I also agree (strongly) with the recommendation of lithium primary, but the L91 lithium primaries in AA-form factor have an even greater shelf life than CR123A ones do. If cold weather is a thing where you live, they'll also do well in low temperatures.

Your budget would actually allow for both such a headlamp, and a "normal" flashlight from the same vendor. If possible, then I'd get both, and stash one in the glove compartment, and the other in the first aid kit.

Edit to add; quarter twist of tail cap gives full lockout, so you wouldn't risk the battery being drained when you'd need it the most.