Smart Lighting

The topic is of sufficient nature that confining it to the CAFE's video finds thread isn't enough to discuss the topic as simply an interesting video. It has been given its own thread in our "Beyond Flashlights - LED" forum. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Philips Hue has always been a little pricey IMO. And if I recall correctly, they tried locking their software down so it wouldn't work with competing products. They suffered some backlash from this and have stepped away from that stance, but who's to say that they won't try it again someday. I prefer to see more competition in this area.

Not seeing how that's an improvement over Hue, which is also open source so other people write apps for it that actually give your bulbs different abilities.

I've no opinion (clue) on improved or not, just thought the vid was interesting. Perhaps this will enlighten one way or ta-nuther. :grin2:

~ Cg

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks for this post Chauncey. I didn't realize that the Lifx bulb is a wi-fi bulb. I also don't know whether it supports encryption. Even if it does support WPA2, can it be patched against the recently announced WPA2 vulnerability? A wi-fi connected IOT device is a potential entry point into your network by the bad guys, so this can get messy.

Security issues aside, ideally I would like to see a smart bulb base with replaceable standardized RGB arrays, so if the LEDs burn out or get dim, you don't have to throw out a perfectly usable radio transceiver with it when you replace it.

Last edited: