Tenergy 1000mAh AAA cell insanely hot while charging.

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I was charging a 1000mAh "Tenergy Premium" Ni-MH AAA cell and it was so hot I couldn't keep my fingers on it. I'm charging it in a nitecore d4. It looked like it was pretty much complete, was 1.45v -- is this normal for a first charge? I've heard of this happening when breaking a cell in. Should I be cautious?

Edit: was charging at 750mA
Edit 2: it seems to have dropped down to 1.44v when I put it back in there after it cooled. Curious...hope I didn't damage the cell.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Any more details on the specifics of the charging ? ... starting voltage ? ... duration of charge ? ... age and condition of cell ? ... etc

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see a specific date code on the wrapping. I rdered a box of them from Tenergy itself like a few weeks ago. The cell was at about 1.34 when I started. It hadn't been on there more than 30-45 minutes, at most.

I will look at the actual box they came in when I get back to work.

herektir

Newly Enlightened
Just sounds to me like the charger missed termination on that cell. Likely that cell will have suffered a little and have fewer total cycles than the rest of them.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recommend charging AAA at >500mA. Unless you are lucky with termination, it will lead to issues. I charge AAAs at ~500mA and have successful termination without excessive heating almost every time.