ReyLight Pineapple mini (copper) AAA/10440 flashlight

hbk_rey

Enlightened
2017-10-27 update

Problem fixed. We have manually fixed the drivers, made 3 samples. Video here.
No pre-flash. OK.
Starts at moon after 3 seconds off. OK.

Will make a new batch of drivers and then assemble.
I could send you new drivers . But the driver is press-fit into the alu pill, it might be hard to pull out. I might send the whole assembly. Easier to swap.
Driver = 4$, assembly = 6$
--------------------------------------

Well, actually some problems happened with the 1st small production.

1. It has a pre-flash for the moon mode. (Not very obvious unless you look closely)
2. It is supposed to start at moon every time. But it seems to have a memory of 30-40 seconds, well it is not actually memory. Memory means it remembers the last used mode, but it goes to next mode.
Pre-flash is something I definitely won't like. Regarding the "memory", some might take it a bug, some take it a feature.

Reason is that it has a capacitor, which stocks some power after the light is off. After some discharging, there is no flash or "memory" anymore.
The capacitor was meant to prevent any demange from the surge since it is a boost circuit. That engineer was not considering the pre-flash a problem (defective)
And I was too wrong to discover it timely since the production was already done. Luckily we didn't make many of them. We could still do improvement. It might take one month for the perfect version.

It was priced 45$ and group sold on Massdrop at 33$, now I'm selling the "special version" at 20$, if orders reach 150pcs, it's 18$. If only you could accpet the pre-flash. Here is a video of demo.
(If you already ordered from MD, pls contact me for refund of 13-15$)

Pls reply "in" in the thread if you are interested.
Pls reply "amazon", if you are in US. They could ship a little faster.

Specs:
Material: solid copper
LED: 4000K Nichia 219C 90 CRI (Color Rendering Index)
Reverse polarity protection
AR coated lens
Aluminum alloy orange peel reflector
Tail-stand capability
1 tritium slot (1.5 x 6 mm, not included)
Dimensions: 2.9 x 0.55 in (7.4*1.4cm)
Weight: 1.3 oz (37 g)

Eneloop AAA battery:
Moon mode: 0.1 lumens, 100 hrs
Mid mode: 15 lumens, 5 hrs
High mode: 125 lumens, 25 mins

320mAh 10440 battery:
Moon mode: 0.3 lumens, 100 hrs
Mid mode: 170 lumens, 40 mins
High mode: 360 lumens, 10 mins

List:

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it this is why the Massdrop lights are delayed. So if we ordered through Massdrop we'll eventually be getting the newer version, one without preflash, right?

hbk_rey

Enlightened
I take it this is why the Massdrop lights are delayed. So if we ordered through Massdrop we'll eventually be getting the newer version, one without preflash, right?
No,
I already shipped them before I realized this problem. You might ask me for refund.

RobertB

Newly Enlightened
I think Rey is over stating this as a problem IMO. Most people don't care about .1 lumen since you can't see your hand in front of your face with .1lm anyway. Also, after 40 seconds the capacitor discharges. Thirdly, the way I understand it, this is only a feature with the higher voltage of the 10440 and not the AAA.

phosphor22

Enlightened

Regarding the Massdrop purchase - I have the same question - if we do nothing will we eventually be shipped a "perfect" one with no memory or preflash?

hbk_rey

Enlightened
2017-10-27 update

Problem fixed. We have manually fixed the drivers, made 3 samples. Video here.
No pre-flash. OK.
Starts at moon after 3 seconds off. OK.

Will make a new batch of drivers and then assemble.
I could send you new drivers . But the driver is press-fit into the alu pill, it might be hard to pull out. I might send the whole assembly. Easier to swap.
Driver = 4$, assembly = 6$
--------------------------------------

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Massdrop. Is the assembly offered instead of the refund? I really love this light, and am saving for the Titanium light. Any chance this could be offered in brass?

hbk_rey

Enlightened
Massdrop. Is the assembly offered instead of the refund? I really love this light, and am saving for the Titanium light. Any chance this could be offered in brass?

Either refund or new assembly is fine. Mini pineapple brass? or LAN brass? I'm not sure.

Nichia!

Banned
Hi

You said it will be 19.99 now it's 23.99 + 5$ for shipping! That's 30$!

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
19.99 + 5.04 for shipping if ur a prime member u get free shipping

Regardless I just ordered my next reylight and looking forward to seeing the next prototype of the mokume gane!

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
I was not aware that some 10440 batteries are a flat-top style, like those sold by EBL (which I recently purchased). Those will NOT WORK at all in this flashlight (won't turn on). However, the Soshine work fine.

Update: I was able to add a blob of solder to the EBL + contact, problem solved. Adding solder to battery contacts can be a pain with larger batteries, because the battery can act as a heat sink. However, these are small batteries, and it was easier than I thought it would be.

ez9xjebthoehia76g.jpg

Last edited: