Farm / Car Light

00tec

Newly Enlightened
I previously owned a 1st gen Olight M20sx that I bought several years ago. It fell out of my pocket and the mower ate it on a late night cleanup of the range before a shoot. Ideally, these things would exist in a 1200+lm version, but they haven't made it that far. I really liked the instant strobe on the side switch, and the tail switch being required so it didn't get "latched on" in a bag or pocket. Before I bite the bullet and just get the 820lm version, I was wondering what else should be out there... 1x 18650 is pretty much required in a "tactical" size light, small enough to be stuck in a pocket, but doesn't necessarily have to be comfortable there for long periods. This will get left in vehicles in Colorado from time to time, and will live on the end table for a emergency light with my firearm. It will occasionally be used out hunting critters in large fields (bunnies that eat car wiring), so throw is more important than spill.
I've looked at the Klarus offerings, but haven't been really impressed by reliability reviews on them.

Any better options out there?

Thanks in advance.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__Up to $100.
$50-$150

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

__X__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
__X__MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X__I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
-Single 18650 only, but I MIGHT be talked into a single 26650

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

__X__I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
-Magnetic/USB charger built into light is fine, but I have a nice standalone charger and just rotate batteries.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

__X__I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
__X__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__X__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

__X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.
-Stepdown is fine, burning a hole in my $200 bag if accidentally left on is not.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

__X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
__X__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

__X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

Forward tail switch for momentary and a side switch is preferable for mode switching. Instant side button strobe is a plus.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__X__I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
At Least
__X__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
__X__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

None

Keitho

Enlightened
Re: Fa

Acebeam L16 is a tactical light that I've been trying to justify purchasing for awhile, claimed 2000 lumens, actual 1475. The reason I want it is the switch arrangement, truly tactical--the tail switch is turbo, always turbo, nothing else, and the side switch is a simple interface. I'm actually coveting the L16vn modded version, because it is only slightly more expensive, and up to 1800 (actual) lumens. USB charging makes it a good car or home light, always ready to go.

Maybe I'll treat myself for Christmas...

00tec

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fa

What means Fa ?

I was trying to type "Farm / car light", but got a chrome security warning when I submitted the post. I had to back up to resubmit and something went wonky.
At that point, it was too late...:oops:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I was trying to type "Farm / car light", but got a chrome security warning when I submitted the post. I had to back up to resubmit and something went wonky.
At that point, it was too late...:oops:

I was wondering that myself ... title fixed