Best lightweight headlamp for trail running (2017)

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I'm looking for a headlamp for trail running with priorities as follows:

1) Weight (strap + battery included, must not forget that an extra headstrap weights more, i would not mind that)
1b) Comfort
2) Brightness somewhere in range of 120-200lm, around two hours of runtime
2a) high CRI or neutral weight tint (Though maybe more white/blue than yellow)
3) Durability (best would be IPX-8)
4) Replaceable battery (unless inbuild USB recharging really is worth it as far as weight/output/runtime ratio goes)

extras i appreciate:
intuitive modes and practical modes like firefly mode or good brightness settings so i can set the level i need
a good beam that would light the way far but also wide enough for close up
good price

Thank you for any suggestions, the weight is the most important to me as every gram counts.

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, that is a really great page!
220 lumens for 30 minutes on a single AAA? thats for a Lithium one isn't it..

ven

Flashaholic
Not perfect fitting, been weighing up some headlamps myself(super tempted with the olight h2r and nitecore hc30 in NW flavour/hc33 depending on colour temp options. Of course there is also zebralight, some really awesome heaplamps! My uses are different to yours though............

The 1st light that sprung to mind for you(not hi cri though) is the olight hs2, it looks a decent design and well thought out. Maybe worth checking out:)

Keitho

Enlightened
I'll second the Zebralight recommendation. As far as lumen-hours per gram, the H53 AA (several versions available) will be hard to beat without jumping up to a heavier 18650 battery. It is my go-to for backcountry.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix HL50 may be worth a look too - I love mine, although i am not a trail runner.
I tried mine on my evening run, the other night - the local park i run around has a limestone trail through a section of bushland - so i gave it a go.
I don't like running with a headlamp, as it seems to flatten out the terrain a little bit, i prefer to see shadows so can see upcoming rocks and dips and things i could injure myself on - but It did do the job. On medium, i could see out to 15 or so metres, enough distance to slow down for anything I did see that could injure me.

It will run on a 3v CR123 (not a rechargeable) or AA cell (alkaline, 1.7v Lithium or a NIMH/NICAD rechargeable - NOT a 14500 lithium Ion Rechargeable)
150-170 lumens on high and 55-60 on medium.

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
So i've read the specifications about the H53 zebra light, it seems to use a NiMH and output 280Lm for almost one hour? That's good for an AA light. The lumen settings also seem usefull. I wonder how it compares to the NU20 as that seems to have 270lm for 30 minutes (which is worse) but 170lm for 6 hours (which is better compared to the 2.3 hours of zebralight) by specs at least the NU20 is better and 30g lighter. I dont like the operation much though. Time to find some beamshots...

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
So i bought the NU20 CRI by Nitecore. It works fairly well and is ligtweigt. It had a good price of around 26$ after using a coupon.
Also works great as a dog light-collar! Much brighter than any other collar.
The tint of the light is visibly colder than the 3D tint of my BLF A6 but also warmer than XP G2 lumintop tool. The colors look the best on the NU20.

mcgmantx

Newly Enlightened
I am not a trail runner but I do run at night between 11 pm and 5 am - usually for 4 - 6 hours at a time. I have been using a light from UST (Ultimate Survival Technologies) for several years (tried many others) and it works well for me. I believe it is 230 lumens at full brightness and 110 at mid brightness.

The Good:
* 3 Brightness Modes plus strobe. I typically run in the mid-brightness mode unless I am facing traffic, then I use the lowest brightness mode.
* Very Good battery life -I average 14 hours with Duracells (10 hours with Kirkland).
* Durable - they take a beating
* Water resistant - I sweat like a horse and have run in heavy rain with no issues.
* Top headstrap and sides are fully adjustable while running.
* Battery compartment has a red light with solid and flashing modes.
* The headlight has a square beam which gives a good view ahead.
* Easy to adjust the beam up or down and the light does not stick out very far.
* Easy to widen the beam, when needed.

The Ok
* Not the lightest Headlamp with 3 double AA batteries.
* Have not found a good rechargeable battery that holds a constant light or decent duration.
* Not great for fog unless using the lowest beam settings or holding the Headlamp low in your hand. I had an older Headlamp with a red front light on the side if the main bulb and it did well in fog.
* The on/off button is small and can be a bit difficult to turn on (the first few times).