Portable, Dependability, Multi-lumen, end-standing, $10-$200 (IDK),

corhsin

Newly Enlightened
The First attempt was hindered by a lack of responses if in relation to the posting requirements. That was further complicated by a question that was answered incorrectly. Here is that a number two with some answers altered. Any assistance is appreciated.

I do some work at night in dark areas and need varying levels of light, some minimal so as to avoid waking people. I would like to select a flashlight that is relatively small and maybe pocket-sized. I believe that rules out anything more than a few double A's, a double C, a single D. Can anyone recommend anything based on the following vague answers to the questions? :)

UPDATE: See Post #6.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light? This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :) Up to $40 and maybe higher if nothing in that range is near. If you have an idea that is $200 I won't believe you mad.

3) Format: I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size: Preferably small. Maybe 8in max?

5) Emitter/Light source: I don't have adequate knowledge to reject HID. LED assumed.

6) Manufacturer: Any reliable (longevity) unit is acceptable. In the future, I am interested in assembling my own components unless it is straightforward. I have fixed computers for the last two decades. I am not an electrical engineer. (It can be a sideline to good recommendations now, just please don't offset the main request)

7) What power source do you want to use? Disposables are fine, I love my Eneloops. I glanced at 18650s, if they are reliable and hold a charge long-term, and charge USB, include or minimally have cost-effective, reliable chargers I have no problem with them. If other options exist please offer suggestions.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Adjustable is essential. A minimum light option for walking past others sleeping ("I'm a cat burglar" mode aka campers), a setting for reading without straining, an option to end-stand and light a room, and option for long distance outdoors.

9) Flood vs Throw? Is "both" asking much?

9a) Distance? Reading, a dark shed/garage/basement, I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces.

10) Runtime: I know it is based on adjustable beam strength. What is a reasonable request?

11) Durability/Usage: As a general principal, durability has utmost importance to me. Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box, and higher at the minimum. The first two were removed because I appreciate fine craftsmanship.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply): Any size switch will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. It needs multiple light levels. The following would be great if available: programmable, selector ring, strobe mode, SOS mode, beacon mode.

14)Material/Finish/Coating: Anodized Aluminum, Stainless steel, Titanium or anything else durable. I appreciate the good old days when things felt like a brick.

15) Water resistance? Optimally, usable in rain (IPX7?). Making due with a zip-lock can be arranged. IPX8/Submersible would support my love of all things built tank-like.

16) Storage conditions? In house if necessary. Emergency kit and glove box preferred. Maybe E. D. C. - in Canada.

17) Special Needs/extras: A lanyard is a big plus. I was unfamiliar with the term crenulated. Higher end units should provide greater lens protection by default, shouldn't they, or is crenulation an introduction of a weapon element? I could go with a belt clip if it clipped over the top to secure it when sitting. Colors would be fun.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
Might be worth looking at Armytek, they're a Canadian company who make a few devices which'd fit your bill.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
NEBO's Lil Larry has very decent flood and throw, and I have found it quite durable. You can remove one of its three AAA batteries to shorten it if need be.

Second, consider Nitecore's TIP or TUBE on a lanyard as a backup.

Third, also consider that there are a wide variety of headlamps from which to choose; some are battery-driven (typically 3 AAAs) while others are rechargeable.

- LetThereBeLight!

corhsin

Newly Enlightened
The many recommendations to what is not a structured request (given the price) are commendable. I should have narrowed it down sooner. To start, I do not care for the Lil Larry lights' form factor for my goal. They are too bulky and the bulbs too exposed for the type of use it will receive. That said, I will try to narrow it down. It is almost definitely too much to ask of the size requested.

This should be split into two separate purchases, one for carry and a larger unit for vehicle/house. I would like to focus on a the more portable of the two. Can anyone recommend higher-end flashlights that would fit in a (deepish) pocket? Less than 8 inches is about the limit. The more features the better, the only critical are end-standing, adjustable lumens (with very-low for walking around sleeping individuals) and a high build quality, reliability/longevity (metal). A narrow "throw" beam would be preferred if the choice must be made. I like the crenulated idea and the ability to both protect the lens and defend oneself when in danger.

Please keep them coming. Once it is clear what the best carry/on-person options are, pursuit of the larger wonder-all should be an easier task (in a different thread). I appreciate the ideas and direction.

Keitho

Enlightened
Maybe the best value for pocket carry is the Emisar D4, if you're willing to charge 18650's outside the light. The UI is great, it's only $40-$60, and comes in a choice of colors and LED. If you want to match it to a slightly larger thrower, the D1 has mostly interchangeable parts with the D4.