Walking light.

Robe

Enlightened
My wife walks the kids to the bus stop and it's dark in the morning. She asked for a flashlight. She wants something a bit larger, like a maglight size. She's prefer single mode.

I'd like recommendations for something like that.more specifically,
1 or 2 mode. I'd prefer high/low
A bit longer / 2 cell. Maybe AA or 18650
Neutral or warm tint. Preferably high cri.
Mix of flood and throw
Actual lumen count isn't critical.
I'm flexible on most other things.

Thanks.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd keep it simple and get a Maglite Pro or Pro + 2AA and a couple of Eneloops and call it day. For a task like that I wouldn't care much about the tint. If it gets lost it won't be too much of a financial hit.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Wildcat V6 Neutral with MD4 body all the way!!!! Get the Triad tailcap as well. Ask Gene/Cathy to swap it for the standard one at the time of purchase.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/products/malkoff-wildcat?variant=29865398915

It's high CRI, and has decent throw on high just due to sheer output. I use one for walking the dog every night. It's absolutely perfect for your task. Will run a long time on 2x18650. 95% of the time it's on low which is plenty, but turn it to high and hold on to your hat.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A rechargeable makes financial and environmental sense. Perhaps it can be maintained more simply by a flashlight that can be charged without taking out the batteries. My wife has a Nitecore TIP CRI on her keychain that is more than ample in runtime and output to fulfill the role you envision. But there are other suitable options. Are you thinking of possible defensive capabilities, as to the request for something larger?

Robe

Enlightened
I wasn't. She asked for something more substantial I think by preference.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2aa Mini Mag Pro PLUS has 2 modes and should work well also the 300 lumen 2AA Rayovac Indestructible from home depot is nice too. I would run them on Eneloops.

The 2 or 3 C cell Mag ML25's are also pretty nice, with lots of throw....only one mode on these (twistys just like the Mini Mags). I would also suggest running the on AA Eneloops in simple home made spacer tubes.

None of these are high CRI, but the current ones are a closer to neutral than cool white. The beam on the ML25's is really nice since you have a huge spill beam bright enough to see a wide area up close with a hot center spot that reaches out a good distance.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Following that lead...

A 2cell Maglite ML25 is a nice sized light that fits easily in a jacket pocket.

For doing a double A fuel system you can get 2 lithium cells, wrap a toilet paper roll roll around a battery and trim to fit slightly loose. Tape it to stay shaped that size. Then use duct tape around that until it gets about 3/4" in diameter. You can use a paper towel roll to make it 2 cells long.

Point is, you slide your sleeve inside the light and batteries will slide in and out of your sleeve when you need new ones.

Last year Home Depot did a black Friday deal where a 2 cell and a 3 cell combo was $25.

Last edited:

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
For a simple walk to the bus stop and back....don't over think it, she wants something simple... get her something simple. Look at the Streamlight ProPolymer line. 4AA, or 3C LED. I have the 3C and it is very floody, but very bright. Single mode with over 300 hours of run time. It even has the heft she requested.

terjee

Enlightened
Would it make sense to have a dockable light, placed somewhere near the exit door?

That way, it would always be charged and ready to go, and could do double-duty as a power outage light that she'd always know where is?

Could also take the hassle out of charging or replacing batteries.