EDC Flashlight Recommendation?

Mytheldora

Newly Enlightened
My EDC right now is a "UltraFire 7w 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light " ($6 on amazon with prime)(and is a foot in the mud, somewhere in my field -.-), but I would like to get something better, something a bit bigger really. Looking for something that is under $25 USD, but the max can be $35, it can be from china, as long as it is reliable. Would like it to be brighter then 300lm's though. I have a ton of 18650's (computer tech, so yeah xD)

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
_►__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
_►__Up to $50.
____Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
_►__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
_►__I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

_►__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

_►__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
_►__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
_►__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_►__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
_►__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

_►__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.
_►__Zoomable.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_►__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_►__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_►__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_►__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

_►__Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
_►__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_►__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.
_►__I don't care.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_►__Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_►__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
_►__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
_►__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
_►__IPX4 (Splash resistant)
_►__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
_►__IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
_►__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
_►__Emergency kit (long standby periods)
_►__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
_►__Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Agpp

Enlightened
I'd be suprised if you find a stock light that matches your needs exactly. That's because your UI requirement greatly restricts the available options.
My suggestion: Buy a Brinyte B158B and have someone reflash it with a different firmware. Though it doesn't meet the clip requirement.

ADDED:
No, I take my words back. Don't change firmware. B158B comes with firmware that I consider a disaster largely because it makes it hard to switch modes. But while technically it has several modes including disco, with minimal care to avoid half-pressing the switch, it will work as one-mode only. Disaster for me, convenience for you.

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
You might want to look at the Convoy S2, a popular budget 18650 light that checks most of your boxes in the $20/30 range depending on config...or maybe the Olight S2 baton at the top of your budget if you want something w/more high end features.

cp2315

Enlightened
Surefire G2X Pro fits nicely. And be hurry. Ebay has it for 40USD free shipping. Includes 2 CR123 batteries in the package. I have two already and I am still temped to get another one or two.

Keitho

Enlightened
Man, unless I was using a holster or a cargo kilt, I'd hate to spend $40 for something bigger than the Emisar D4. I know, no cr123, and no zoom, but still, pockets have limits...

+1 on the S2, either olight or convoy

For the emergency kits and glove box, go cheap on the light, and store with lithium primaries (since your EDC light will be small enough to ALWAYS be with you, they are just backup anyway). Change the lithium batteries every time you buy new car tires.

Mytheldora

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the late replay to this, just got the email saying that the thread was posted xD. In that time since I have posted this thread, I did find a light that I like, well 3 actually. I have also look'ed at each of the lights that you all have suggested.

The Surefire G2X Pro, not a big fan of it. (rather buy from amazon, just my go to for things, and it helps that I have prime xD) It uses CR123A batteries. I don't have any of thoes types, so even if it dose come with some, I would only have the ones that it came with. Its not zoomable, grated thats not really a deal braker for me, but the price thought $47 (on amazon) for only 400 lumens.

The Brinyte B158B, while I do like how it looks, its not on amazon sadly.

Convoy S2, might pick this one up just to have it. Maybe mode it aswell xD, but not something I'm looking for a edc though.

Emisar D4, again might pick this one up aswell xD.

Now while I was waiting for the eamil, letting me know that the thread was posted I did manage to find 3 lights that I like. One I really like and might pick it up.

TFCFL CREE XM-L T6 10000 Lumen Portable Water Resistant LED Flashlight 3 Modes (title copyed from amazon). 10,000 Lumens (doubt it, data sheet puts the XML-l T6 at 280 lumens @ 700mA, and 692 lumens @ 2amps, so very unlikly 10,000 lumens for 10 leds), takes 4 18650 batteries, 3 mode. Fits everything I'm looking for but its not zoomable. $30.99

Atactical A1S LED Flashlight, Pocket-Sized LED Torch, Super Bright 1150 Lumens CREE LED (Cool white color)(title copyed from amazon). 1150 lumens (data sheet puts the CREE XP-L V6 Led at 535 lumens @ 1050 mA) 5 modes that are accsess by the side button, and the back button is the OFF/ON/Momentary. Comes with a 3400mAh rechargeable USB battery. $29.99

Comunite Cree XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Zoomable(title copyed from amazon)(really thinking about picking this one up) Says its 1200 lumens, but again it uses the same led as the TFCFL light, so max of 700 lumens maybe. It is zoomable, can use a 18650 or 3 AA, or 1 26650. $20.99

So what do you all think about the 3 lights that I am thinking about.
The Comunite light seems like it would be the best for what I'm looking for. But then again the TFCFL one is brighter for the work that I do. I'm still not sure which one to get. With I had more money, so I could get all 3 xD

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Once you start using better flashlights that have better reflectors and optics, you will find little need for a zoomable light. Stay away from brands that'd end with the word "fire". SureFire is the obvious exception.

The BLF A6 is a nice budget light and well thought of here on CPF. At 47 USD, it is a tad over your budget. But it is on Amazon.

EDIT.. I almost forgot to mention. Have you considered what is known as a "Host" a good budget host is Solarforce. You can buy the complete body, head, and lens for about 25 and then pick a P60 module that suits your needs. A module will cost about 10 to 15. You can get many variations in modules. Multiple lumen outputs is once choice. Then you can pick how many, or what kind of modes you want. Many choices on Amazon.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't chase high lumens too much, especially with the cheaper lights which are often way over rated. I would stay away from anything that takes multiple Li-Ion cells.

Of the 3 you listed I would probably go with the Atact because of size and the fact that it uses only 1 Li-Ion cell. The other 2 seem way too big for comfortable EDC, in fact the atactical would be too big for me.

My recommendation is the Streamlight 1L-1AA great compact single cell "dual fuel" EDC; programmable with streamlight's 10 tap system.

arKmm

Enlightened
Outside of cheapies, there are very few zoomable lights as it's just not the done thing.

If zoomable is an absolute must for you, then consider the LED Lenser P7.2

It's 320 lumen, focusable, and runs on AAA.

Also remember, the difference between lumens isn't as much as companies would have you think. The gains are negligible a lot of the time, but the losses in runtime and efficiency are real.

Just because you don't use CR123 at the moment, doesn't mean you should write it off. It's the most potent disposable battery form and all prosumer and professional lights that aren't rechargeable will probably run on CR123 for a reason.

arKmm

Enlightened
And you said you'd been put off the G2X Pro because you want to buy from Amazon. Well, it's on Amazon! On prime as well. That'd be my choice. It's such a brilliantly simple light, but super robust.