under hood light options?

ken garchow

Newly Enlightened
i would like to add an under hood light to a car i own
i checked at dealer and none of these cars have under hood lights to present

any ideas of an under hood light with built in switch to use?

car is a 2008 range rover full size

thanks

terjee

Enlightened
Is it important that it's permanently there, or would it work to simply use something like a small lantern with magnetic base, like Fenix CL20 or CL20R, that you could keep in the glove compartment?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Wow. Given how much Range Rovers cost, how did they justify leaving off an under-hood light? I wonder if it's like the old Rolls-Royce policy of stating the horsepower rating of their engines as "Adequate and sufficient": we don't provide an under-hood light because you won't ever have need to be looking under the hood after dark.

ken garchow

Newly Enlightened
would like to have it hard wired for permanent function
dealer said last under hood light they had on rovers was in 1995 and can't get those anymore

i may use one like my ford spuer duty has.
it looks fairly modern and uses an internal mercury switch to sense when hood open

and i assure you it needs to be opened pretty often day and night

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe they use mercury light switches any longer.

My Suburban has a light mounted to the passenger side inner fender. The light has a magnet to attach it to various locations as well as being corded with the light retainer doubling as the light switch guard.

I haven't looked at the underhood lights on the newest trucks, but I imagine that they're no longer using incandescent bulbs, instead being LED's.

Tilt operated underhood and trunk lights are some of the largest battery killers known in the automotive industry.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: under hood light options? kits are available

ARB do a nice rechargeable 600 lumen area light that has a pair of hooks and a big magnet on the back - you can use it under the hood or anywhere else you need a light.
charges by USB, and comes with mains and 12v USB power supplies.

ken garchow

Newly Enlightened

thanks
would like to make it OEM looking if possible

eggsalad

Enlightened

'88-'94 GM pickups had a neat light under the hood. It was permanently mounted, but the bulb/socket/lens was detachable, on a retractable cord. You can find them all over eBay, and many other places, maybe even your local junkyard. They have filament bulbs, of course, but I'd bet there's a drop-in LED replacement bulb.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't looked at the underhood lights on the newest trucks, but I imagine that they're no longer using incandescent bulbs, instead being LED's.

Gets pretty hot in there. LEDs don't like heat.