Emisar D1

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
While a thread for the (not yet available) D1S exists, there doesn't seem to be one for the D1.
Several of us have been talking about the D1 on the D4 thread, so it might be useful to have a proper thread for it here.

Last edited:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D1 head is a bit too big for EDC. It's a good flashlight. And one that I would pocket in cargo pants or jacket for a particular passion. But, it's not the one living in my pocket daily. That would be its smaller sibling, the D4. Of course, size for EDC is totally subjective.

I would also love to see the D1 with a 26650 battery to match the head size. Why not?

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D1 in grey is probably one of the single best lights I have bought, the throw is unbelievable for a reflector light of its size. The build quality is also excellent, particularly given its very reasonable price point. Not usually a e-switch fan either, but the ramping UI makes it a pleasure to use and the tailcap design makes for a reliable hard lock-out. I throw it in my shirt pocket or my jacket since the head is a little bigger than I like for pocket carry, and hence have forgiven the lack of a clip. The AR coating is also surprisingly not-terrible, so much so that I would dare to call to even call it good, no screwy business from the coating is evident in the beam.

The only thing that would have made this light better for me would have been a 4000k XP-L HI option. The 5000k option is a much welcome alternative to bluish 6500k, but 4000k really hits the spot for me, especially in a thrower.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D1 head size being in direct relation to its throw, doesn't bother me, for my use it's replaced an Armytek XB-H warm Predator, so I'm only experiencing the positive of diminished mass and bulk, and lack of sharp edges as well.
My frequent use is with finding street numbers while driving rideshare dusk to dawn. I'd like to have even tighter hotspot and less spill as with the Predator, but the diminutive size, non threatening appearance, and especially the ability to ramp up to only as much light as needed to see without disturbing anyone has made this light a good upgrade.
I especially like being able to carry it in one hand without giving the impression that I'm carrying a club or whatnot.
It's still just enough length and plenty of mass to reinforce my fist if that were ever actually necessary, without looking at all imposing, -which is important nearly all of the time, while its physical defensive characteristics are important a vanishingly small percentage of time, hypothetically.
It's a very capable and inoffensive light.

The battery tube is quite thick, it could lose weight.
I wouldn't mind seeing what a ZL style ephemeralization/ optimisation did to this light, maybe some heat fins replacing some mass in the head, and even a unibody design that removed the Lego-ability but gave us a lighter 18650 tube and better heat sinking.

I'd like to see it thoroughly compared to a Zebralight SC600, that's the ticket.
Actually, if ZL was licenced to make this light, with super efficient levels, super low selectable firefly and moon modes, and something like a [click, click, hold] to swap between interfaces...

Last edited:

dmsoule

Newly Enlightened
The only thing that would have made this light better for me would have been a 4000k XP-L HI option. The 5000k option is a much welcome alternative to bluish 6500k, but 4000k really hits the spot for me, especially in a thrower.

Good news for 4000K fans, this option was recently added to Intl-Outdoor. Not (yet) available from Mountain Electronics. I ordered one yesterday. I hope Hank offers the D1s with the 4000K option as well.

Last edited:

low

Enlightened
I have the gray D1 with 5000k and I really like it. Not only does it throw for a little lite the UI is very nice. It will turn on with a quick click to whatever setting you want or hold the switch down and you start ramping from moon mode to high. Not having to countdown for moon mode allows anyone to access it without fear of blinding you. Even my buddy likes it and he wont even try to use a zebralight which he says is to complicated. I find it throws a little to much for camping, but it is nice to have just in case.

ven

Flashaholic
Have to agree the 4000k xpl HI is pretty amazing as far as LED's go, nice hint of warmth and no off colours/tints.

I am loving this D1vn with the sst40, really surprised me and being cool white. More pure white, huge hot spot i would say around 2/3rds larger than the xpl HI. Maybe as intense or a little more, certainly a lot brighter spill.............very very noticeable bump up in output anyway , maybe more than 1300-2300lm suggests.

D1 with the 5000k xpl HI is great out of the box, Halloween light tonight will be the D4 xp-g2 4000k(need some warmth), but for my punch out there light, the D1vn sst40 will be in my jacket. Last year i used the m43vn which kicked a55! Bit over kill, so this D1vn will be a little more "tuned" in beam and not lighting up everything around as much.

B3qIYCnl.jpg

GZObco7l.jpg

IyMs2EAl.jpg

ICpCPEXl.jpg

As much as i prefer 5000k over 6500k, i do like the sst40 more...............
R8OnUPAl.jpg

C1NI2RAl.jpg

Qz7f6nSl.jpg

:)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really appreciate the tint discussion.
Might you go into a little more on the user interface? How fast is it compared to, say a Zebralight. Just as ZL has some minor hiccups with use, can you go into more detail on this UI's possible foibles?

ven

Flashaholic
Really appreciate the tint discussion.
Might you go into a little more on the user interface? How fast is it compared to, say a Zebralight. Just as ZL has some minor hiccups with use, can you go into more detail on this UI's possible foibles?

The UI is pretty much spot on, its impossible to please all and there will always be someone who want X Y or Z. IMO its pretty much spot on, hard to improve without going super nerdy. Compared to what you can buy from the main manufacturers, its well ahead than most . Bare in mind its totally subjective, my thoughts are...............Ramping time of 2.5s to get bellow 1lm to (this light around 1300, D4 near 4000lm) works very well. I think its spot on myself for timing. Double click gets you 100%, double click again gets you back to the level you were on previous. 3 clicks for battery V which is a set of blinks(4) followed by another set for the .1 or .2 etc. 4 clicks for momentary(thin HDS and press hold for light, release and off............no locking the level.) 6 presses for soft lock out, repeat to unlock.8 presses for beacon etc and 10 for thermal config.

Its very easy to get it to work 1st time trying, not something you need to practice the timing etc.

What i like myself(think again HDS rotary or v11r) where you can dial up and down the output on the fly. This is just press/hold, quick release and press/hold again to ramp opposite way. This allows in a way similar to the mentioned to dial in the exact amount of light required. Being a side switch like ZL, it just falls perfectly to the thumb, easier imo than a rear clicky for control/comfort(subjective as with all my comments). If your tempted Kitrobaskin, just go for it, for $40 you will struggle getting an all round better light. I find it easier to get right 1st time than ZL UI, no question, I am not saying its better...........more user friendly in ways. Still with the latest ZL UI, there is a lot to be said about swapping levels for H1/H2/M1 etc etc etc to suit having a low or high for 1 click(etc for 2 clicks).

Not to be compared, or either bought instead of. The Emisar and ZL have their own niche, both are must haves for any flashaholic.

Now with the D1 available in 4000k flavour, if you like your beam a little warm..................thats the baby! Then choice of colour..............The issue you may find is not which one, but which to get 1st, 2nd and 3rd:devil:...........yes the D1 and D4 are that good! If they cost twice as much:sssh:..................i would still feel as strongly about them, they are a bargain and in this day and age, a light does need to be special to stand out. These do it without bringing cost into it, then with what they do cost, its a bargain and some.

No i dont work for Hank :laughing:

Agpp

Enlightened
Most agree, these are exceptional lights. And great value as well. I'm positively surprised that D1S costs $40 too, I expected like $10 markup.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
about the UI, the only thing that's thrown me for a loop is that when holding from off to access low, the delay before ramping up is just short enough that it's messed up my muscle memory a little bit with my edc Zebralight, I'm getting the accidental turn on to high instead of low with the Zebra, which was something I had dialed in perfectly until I started playing with the D1 and D4...
So it's no big deal, but if you go OCD on hitting the low without ramping up at all, chances are that once you're good at that you'll flash high with a ZL inadvertently by not pressing long enough to register as low.

If the delay before ramping were just .25 sec or so longer it would perfectly complement the ZL UI for me...
- What I'd really like is to see ZL adopt this interface and have "click, press-hold" or similar allow toggling between level presets UI and ramping UI...

...I'm still with Mk II lights, it looks like the greater programmability of the ZL Mk III would fix that timing problem, single click to get to low would have already been my preference anyway.

Last edited:

Agpp

Enlightened
My biggest gripe with the UI is the blinks after plugging the battery. Well, they are not a problem by themselves, but until they finish the light doesn't react to my input. It's already fixed in the TK's latest UI though and since the driver isn't potted, I can reflash. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Most agree, these are exceptional lights. And great value as well. I'm positively surprised that D1S costs $40 too, I expected like $10 markup.

Yes me too, in fact i was expecting more like a $20-$30 mark up and around the $70 ish price(extra materials/size of reflector etc etc inc). For it to be the same cost is very good, maybe Hank expects it not to be as popular. Its no EDC(for me anyway, as some EDC far bigger!) size i would carry around, but it would be something i would carry in a coat/glove box/tool box. At 1st i was a little unsure, but it has grown on me and no doubt will be an addition to the little Emisar family...............

Agpp

Enlightened
Yes me too, in fact i was expecting more like a $20-$30 mark up and around the $70 ish price(extra materials/size of reflector etc etc inc). For it to be the same cost is very good, maybe Hank expects it not to be as popular. Its no EDC(for me anyway, as some EDC far bigger!) size i would carry around, but it would be something i would carry in a coat/glove box/tool box. At 1st i was a little unsure, but it has grown on me and no doubt will be an addition to the little Emisar family...............

I'll pass. I'm waiting for an open source boost driver that Shoki@BLF develops, so I can have UT02 with superb UI and 2500 lm.

stephenk

Enlightened
Given how popular C8 style lights are, I'm sure the D1S will sell like hot cakes!

ven

Flashaholic
True i guess Stephen, when you look at it that way................the C8 is sure a big seller, very popular single cell thrower.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A person simply cannot buy such pertinent, high quality information based on actual experience like you fine flashlight enthusiasts have provided. Hats off.

I want one of these tools.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
My biggest gripe with the UI is the blinks after plugging the battery. Well, they are not a problem by themselves, but until they finish the light doesn't react to my input. It's already fixed in the TK's latest UI though and since the driver isn't potted, I can reflash. :)

I don't have the D1 but I have two D4's, and I get annoyed by the blinks there too. I walk around with it locked out in my pocket sometimes, and I forgot to point the head at my body when I screwed the tailcap in while walking through a parking lot. Didn't really want to flash the light at anyone around but forgot to cover up the head.

Once in a while I also forget to click quickly to turn it off. Apparently I wait just a hair too long to release the button and then it doesn't turn off right because it thinks I'm starting to ramp. At least that's my guess because it's never done that if I make sure to click very briefly. Think I just have a habit with my other lights of clicking and slowly releasing once I'm ready for it to be off.

TORCHrider

Newly Enlightened
Guys, this is probably a really stupid question but here goes. It says do not install the battery backward on the D1 or damage to the light or battery will occur. I will be using the Sony VTC6 3000mAh flat top battery in this light (on order). Can someone show me a picture of the correct orientation of the battery in the flashlight? The light does not have marks for positive or negative as far as I can tell. Thanks for accommodating this noob. Or maybe that's boob. :eek:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, this is probably a really stupid question but here goes. It says do not install the battery backward on the D1 or damage to the light or battery will occur. I will be using the Sony VTC6 3000mAh flat top battery in this light (on order). Can someone show me a picture of the correct orientation of the battery in the flashlight? The light does not have marks for positive or negative as far as I can tell. Thanks for accommodating this noob. Or maybe that's boob. :eek:
As with most lights, positive towards the head.