2005 Chevrolet Suburban headlights

Eric M

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a Suburban with recently replaced headlights that I have my doubts are genuine. Is there any way for me to tell whether they are or not? I recall my 2000 Silverado headlights had "Guide" printed on them, but these do not which leads me to suspect they're fakes. Odd, since it appears the genuine items can be purchased for under 300 dollars.

My next question is, should these be genuine or once they are replaced with OEM lamps, what bulbs would give me the best performance from these not very good lamps? I do frequently drive on unlit, rural highways, so high beam performance matters.

Thanks!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Look for "GM" somewhere on the lens to confirm genuine lamps. Or look for off-brands (TYC, Anzo, Eagle Eye, etc) to confirm aftermarket knockoffs. Take note that Guide no longer exists, the company folded. GM outsourced from Depo to make replacement lamps for applications originally made by Guide. That doesn't necessarily mean a Depo lamp (bought as a Depo lamp) is the same as a Depo lamp (bought as a GM lamp); for one obvious difference, the GM lamps have "GM" on them, and while GM's lighting guys are tight-lipped about the specific details, the implication is that there's a stricter quality standard and more supervision/quality control applied to the lamps Depo makes for GM.

About 10 years ago there was a good aftermarket lamp made by Valeo-Sylvania, with HID low beam and halogen high beam. But they're no longer available.

The genuine GM lamps for your '05 are one side and other side.

As far as bulbs go, use these in the low beams, and use these (trimmed like this) in the high beams. Very, very important: make sure the headlamps are aimed correctly.

HairwayToSteven

Newly Enlightened
I don't mean to hijack this thread with my first post, but is there any advantage to using the 9012 bulbs in place of the 9006 low beams?

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
I don't mean to hijack this thread with my first post, but is there any advantage to using the 9012 bulbs in place of the 9006 low beams?

No. In fact there is a dangerous disadvantage with that fixture/bulb combination. The 9012 requires a bulb sheild the fixture does not have

jed99

Newly Enlightened
FYI, Daniel Stern may have found a supplier for 9012's with the top coating. IIRC, he thought that they may be in stock in the next week or so.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
FYI, Daniel Stern may have found a supplier for 9012's with the top coating. IIRC, he thought that they may be in stock in the next week or so.

I heard the same from him, though I thought he said 2nd or 3rd week January. Sounds like real ones, Vosla +30 made in Germany. I should be getting hold of a few whenever they're ready. That would certainly solve some irritating application problems!

Tmjeep

Newly Enlightened
How will you know when they are ready? Will they be in the section where the bulbs are?

ruffenach

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post so please bear with me. I put these in my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD truck (links below) and my old 2001 GMC Yukon XL and they should fit in your rig as well. GM Part #'s 15218077 and 15218078. (Please confirm with Mr. Stern on that but I'm 99% positive) It allows you to use four 9011 Philips bulbs in all four lamp positions inside the assembly. These lamps are for the Denali models and will just slide in to the same spots on your truck. Make sure to get both assemblies aligned correctly. Good day!!

GM 15218077 Left Side Headlamp

GM 15218078 Right Side Headlamp

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No, the GMC lamps do not fit the Chevrolet front end. Different size and shape.