SAE Designation Canadian Law/Peterbilt Driving Lamps

Sadden

Enlightened
Which SAE designation is required for you too run aftermarket driving lamps uncovered In Canada?
And is there a limit too how many I can run?

Cops here WILL ask you too cover non-compliant lights or cut the wires if you drive big trucks up here. Its not something they will pull you over for here, but once they already have you pulled over or are giving you an inspection, it will definitely come up. Every once in awhile you will see a big shiney truck with duct tape over his brand new rigid bars....

I typically drive the truck an hour or two too location in the morning, primarily highway followed by anywhere from a couple meters to a few kms of gravel/private roads.

I want too be able too cover them in the summertime, but dont want too be taking covers on and off ALL winter again this year.
I want too be legal too run em on the highway (otherwise whats the point of being able too see that far idiling down private oil and gas roads, plus stop and take covers off for private roads on the way in, stop again on my way out put the covers back on for the highway, no thanks.)

Feel free too toss up ideas, Halogen preferred due too lack of warm up times, and no ice problems in the winter...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Which SAE designation is required for you too run aftermarket driving lamps uncovered In Canada?

There is no SAE designation that makes it blanket-OK to run aftermarket "driving" (auxiliary high beam) lamps uncovered in Canada. How many lamps, what types, when they must be covered, and when they may be used are all matters of provincial regulation (state regulation in the US).

So, as the saying goes: check your local laws before ordering.

fastgun

Enlightened
I would recommend that you search this: Inspection & approval protocol for vehicle lamps, lights, and reflectors. This is by Daniel Stern June 2009

Sadden

Enlightened
Thanks for the replys. Heres what I found...

Looks like I am looking for
SAE Y or SAE J581 for driving lamps and
SAE F or SAE J583 for fog lamps

Looks like Im legal too run 2 fogs and 2 driving lamps. (but not powered at the same time obviously) Alberta will also allow you too run solely fog lamps if weather conditions are poor enough.

Any recommendations for halogen versions of each? I might be convinced too run xenon on the driving lamps. There are times where I can run them for extended periods of time. But the good ones are pricey. And I would be doing bulb upgrades right out of the gate as well.... Nightbreakers or Extreme Visions....

When's the last time you were pulled over for something while driving the truck???
Hasnt happened yet *knock on wood*

Been pulled in at the scales a couple times and havent had an issue yet *knock on wood*
I keep my truck clean, eat off the floor/drive in slippers clean. Try my best too keep up on maintenance, and I keep up on all my paperwork.
I run waaaaaaay too heavy too fool around. I am legal too 63,500kg...

Which brings us back around too what driving lamps do you guys reccomend for this application. My current highbeams are wide enough, treeline too treeline on both sides of the highway. Anything that I can spot in those super wide areas I cant stop for anyways. All I truly am looking for is distance and all the distance I can legally have. It has a bandit bar, I can fit pretty much anything there some simple home brackets.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Looks like I am looking for
SAE Y or SAE J581 for driving lamps and
SAE F or SAE J583 for fog lamps

"SAE J581" and "SAE J583" are not lens markings. Fog lamps that are built to conform to SAE J583 may be marked "SAE F" or "SAE F3". Driving lamps built to conform to SAE J581 may be marked "SAE Y".

Any recommendations for halogen versions of each?

How much space (in what width/height/depth dimensions) do you have? And how much can you spend? And it would also help to know exactly what you have for headlamps (so, what year/make/model is your truck)?

Sadden

Enlightened
How much space (in what width/height/depth dimensions) do you have? And how much can you spend? And it would also help to know exactly what you have for headlamps (so, what year/make/model is your truck)?

Spacewise I have 12" x 40" x ? At least 6 or 8 inches anyways. I can extend the depth out easily enough if required.

I am willing too spend upwards too the 1500 mark.

Its the H11 projector, 9005 reflector combo. Already bumped up too H9/9011's respectively.

I cannot stress enough, I am not looking for any "good all around lamps" or "good mixture of spread and distance". This truck has more than enough spread, I am really looking for distance. I realize pencil beams are off the table legally. But whatever the next best thing is.....

Last edited:

eggsalad

Enlightened
I'm not sure what the quality is, but the KC Pro-Sport G6 is available with a "driving beam" that is claimed to be "SAE &ECE legal".

jzchen

Enlightened
They are on the radar, dont know exactly whats on the lense though...

I thought I saw a picture with SAE Y on it, somewhere.... But for some reason I don't see it now. Maybe I need to go take a sanity pill.....

So sorry about that.

Last edited:

Sadden

Enlightened
Hopefully HIDs run hot enough, because they would provide significant output benefit...

Oh i think they should be fine, ive never had a problem with OEM HID's.

Out of the Hella 4000 series, which ones reach out the furthest? (excluding pencil beam variants... )

jzchen

Enlightened
I just tried looking at the beam diagrams of LED, Xenon, and 100W halogen versions of the 4000 (not compact variants) and looks like they all reach past 500m. (At first I thought this unimpressive, until converted to ft it's well over 1/4 mi!)

BUT-. I am concerned there seems to be no mention of SAE conformity...