Took my kids to a Corn Maze at Night - Flashaholic's Dream

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out here in Amish country Pennsylvania, they have mazes cut into the corn fields. And they let you navigate them at night!

I took the lead, Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 on a lanyard around my neck, had a Cyalume lightstick clipped to the front of my pack, and my trusty GloTube on the back so my kids didn't lose me, my son was behind me with another lightstick, and my daughter brought up the rear with a Fenix TK35 (XML version). Backup in my pack was Surefire 6P/Nailbender combo.

Sun going down...
JDDiErcl.png

Hound Dog beam...
pLsK3ojl.png

A note about lanyards: the little springloaded clips on the ends of the lanyards are TERRIBLE. At one point, I used the Hound Dog, let it hang from my neck and my daughter yelled, "Dad! Your Light!" and it was laying in the mud behind me. Those little clips disenage themselves if you twist them around the lanyard ring. I re-threaded the lanyard through the actual ring. I need to get some tiny split-rings to connect them.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
A note about lanyards: the little springloaded clips on the ends of the lanyards are TERRIBLE. At one point, I used the Hound Dog, let it hang from my neck and my daughter yelled, "Dad! Your Light!" and it was laying in the mud behind me. Those little clips disenage themselves if you twist them around the lanyard ring. I re-threaded the lanyard through the actual ring. I need to get some tiny split-rings to connect them.

Which lanyard were you using?

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
Always a great time! I used mine at the Richardson family farm (worlds largest corn maze) they have
an observation tower right next to the corn maze and I lit up the entire field with my Zebralight, everyone was in awe by how bright it was!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which lanyard were you using?

This was actually a really nice setup I got from Bykfixer, originally for a PK-FL2. Flat stainless ring that goes over the body of the light and grey cord,
the spring-loaded stoppers and a cord terminator for the ends.

These little clips though, maybe the light was too heavy or maybe it's just my hamhandedness, but picking the light up and twisting the ring just
right can make it disenage itself. I had a sling-style pack on (Maxpedition Sitka) and didn't feel the lack of weight on the lanyard.
I dropped the Hound Dog right onto the ground and didn't realize it until my daughter behind me picked it up.
ky6smhUm.jpg

I picked up some of these little split rings in the arts and craft / jewelry section at Walmart. Secure enough for regular usage, but I figure under a hard enough force it will fail for safety reasons.
uLY9LFAm.jpg

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know, it occurs to me that there may have been a small black split ring that originally may have been involved somewhere, either connected to the lanyard ring or to attach the clip to the cord, that I used for something else. That may help alleviate the issue by making it harder to torque the cord around and pop the clip off. So... that was there for a reason. I guess if I used stuff and left it stock, I wouldn't be here. I'm going to try other configurations and see if I can replicate the issue.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
These little clips though, maybe the light was too heavy or maybe it's just my hamhandedness, but picking the light up and twisting the ring just

That's the sort of clip that used to come with SF lights and accessories. I've nearly lost a couple of things on account of the "break away" design. Ever since, I toss those aside and link my lanyard rings directly to the cord, much as you have.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upgraded my lanyards with the small stainless steel "nano" split rings from Countycomm. Looking good now.

The key is you can still use the little snap hook, but don't snap it right onto the lanyard ring on the flashlight.
Put a split ring on the lanyard ring first then snap the hook onto that.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I've beenn planning to do a corn maze. Missed it last year. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took them again tonight, this time the wife came along.

Everybody's loadout, carefully lanyarded to each person...
Me: Malkoff Hound Dog 18650
- Backup PKFL2 LE
Daughter: Fenix TK35 XML
Son: Fenix PD35
Wife: Klarus XT2A

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
For small clips, I tend to like python or the locking micro s-clips. The bad about the s-clips is you can't unlock just one side, so when clipping have to make sure other end doesn't come unclipped, but never had a locked one come undone.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I'm a little late but this thread made me look for a night corn maze near me and to my surprise there were 2 within 20 minutes. I brought my M361N over there and mainly used the low while my girlfriend used a Mag 2C I spruced up with an MOP reflector and glass lens. Great time! Highly recommended!!

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Did my first maze. Stayed out extra long just to enjoy the experience and burn through an 18650. It still had 3.98 volts when I got home.

apete2

Newly Enlightened
Corn mazes are the best. I am always amazed at the number of people who use only their phones, with the occasional Mag or Lowes or Home Depot led light.

Usually I pack a 4c Xenon mag, 2d ROP, and handful of mini mags, Incan or LED. The Sportsman 7d also gets a chance to stretch its legs.