Headlamps are a great idea in theory but never worked for me

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had several about 10 years ago and they never worked for me. Problems included:

* It is a single-purpose device. Does not EDC well, does not fit into any pocket. Unless it's so compact and event then does not fit as neatly as some 2x123 light. Or smaller.

* Not adapted to 18650s, my favorite way to roll. The best of them take 123 so you have to accept that.

* Irritate my haid. After wearing out for more than 10 minutes, they start irritating my head or hair in some way.

I had this Princeton Tech from circa 2006 - I cannot believe it has been that long - and went through 2 of them, plastic shattering, overall pretty poor build quality. They just cannot compete with a SF clone that's all metal.

I would rather have some kind of gizmo to wear on my head that I would insert a Surefire 6P in or G2X Pro and take it out when I needed compactness again.

A high quality dedicated HL would be great for a single purpose like caving. And even then I would have a backup surefire in a holster. As all these wires create additional points of failure.

terjee

Enlightened
You might want to look at some of the Zebralight 18650 headlamps. Upgrade from cheap plastic, and the way the straps are built opens up for alternative mounting.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
I find them useful but it's the headband that gives me discomfort. Not sure if it's the pressure, but after a while, it gives me a headache. This is even the case when I have the band rather loose. I also experience the same thing occasionally when I wear baseball caps which is seldom these days. In contrast, bicycle and motorcycle helmets give me no issues at all.

That being said, I find headlamps useful for night-time activities in which you need to use your hands. Things like camp cooking, fishing, auto repairs, etc. come to mind.
I own several headlamps, but nothing high end. I have a Princeton Tec Byte that I really like. It's tiny and runs on two AAAs but has a good output. It also features a battery lock-out switch to prevent parasitic drain and this prolongs the life of the AAAs. I also have two Snow Peak headlamps, each with a unique feature. The Snow Miner is an old-school-looking headlamp that has a silicone dome that can be popped in or out, utilizing a magnet around the lens. Closing the dome is for headlamp use while popping it out is for lantern use, like hanging it from a tent. It's basically a 2 in 1 design. The other Snow Peak is the Mola. It's unique in that it uses a swinging internal LED mount, using gravity to adjust the light angle to your head angle. Neither are high output lamps that really light up a trail, but both are good for close-range illumination for camping or night activities. Best of all, both the Snow Peaks were obtained for cheap as I found them on clearance at Marshall's.
6923517698_ee84c74d55_c.jpg

snow-peak-mola-headlamp-review-m2.png

For long range illumination, I prefer handheld devices which offer better lumens and lux than headlamps in most cases. Given I resort to handhelds for power and range, I like the headlamps that are small and lightweight or offer interesting features like the Snow Peaks.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I mostly use headlamps for actual tasks or outings. Took my AT Tiara to Florida as my only light. Used it working on the boat, night hiking, hurricane Irma clean up, night biking and forays into the Big Cyprus just in case I get lost and it turns dark. If I need to do something use a headlamp because very often need two hands on the fly. That said i pocket carry a flashlight during EDC. I ran through two 2500mAh Duraloops then charged them on an old Energizer charger found in the house. When I get back home will probably use something else but when given the option for only one light as space was limited it was a headlamp using 1XAA.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the basic direction of your post, the Nite-Ize headband mentioned above definitely deserves consideration. Nitecore also makes one.

Comfort is a matter of finding a mount that works for your. I'm not bothered much by most headlamps, although my Armytek with the older style silicon rubber mount does create pressure points on my forehead (and leaves funny looking, but temporary indents).

I concur with Woods Walker. I don't EDC a headlamp. I grab it when I have something specific to do where I want to keep my hands free. Aside from camping, I find myself using it occasionally when working on the car (mine has a magnet on it, as a bonus), and very frequently when doing home improvement projects.

I do know of quite a few users who do EDC a headlamp without the headband attached. They think of them not as headlamps, but as right angle lights that you can attach to a headband when desired. It's a different ergonomic choice with a mix of pros and cons.

Also, although you've clearly been in the high quality flashlight world for quite a while, it sounds like you haven't really explored what's available in headlamps very much. Princeton Tec is far from the state of the art, and 18650 models and rugged metal bodies are not only available, but common among the manufacturers that get discussed here a lot. Not many have external wires to worry about crimping/cutting/pulling out.

I definitely agree with you about the value of having a spare light handy. When I go camping, I usually have both a headlamp and a regular flashlight.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use headlamps now and then and find them as a great complement to flashlight. Zebralight 1AA headlamps and Nitecore HC30N are my favorites. HC30 can be runned by 2xCR123 or an 18650. These headlamps are great for free hand use like walking, running and cycling. Of course for other tasks too. I have no problem to carry them on my head for extended time.

terjee

Enlightened
Zebralight 1AA headlamps and Nitecore HC30N are my favorites.

I find even the 18650 Zebralights to be surprisingly light, and that translates directly through less required tightening of headband, and into comfort. The AA models even more so, and loaded with lithium primaries, it's so light it almost feels wrong. ;-)

LuxClark

Newly Enlightened
I love headlamps for camping. Almost essential to have them. But as an EDC, they aren't versatile enough. You can make a regular small light work with almost all your needs. Headlamps are just great when all you are doing is working with your hands a lot.

But I also have the Nite-Ize strap as a backup!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a Zebralight H600w or an H600Fw clipped in my pocket with a ZL H style pocket clip - and I have no idea why they don't sell the headlamps with the pocket clips, because their headlamps work great for edc with the clip, leaving the headstrap in a bag or at home. (heat shrink tube the clip to the light and it will never pop off).
Gently gripping the light with my teeth by the pocket clip works fine, and I've been experimenting with a fabric or duct tape tab on the clip to make a bite grip safer for tooth enamel, but I haven't come up with a version that's worth sharing yet. - it works but sticks out from the pocket when clipped, disturbing the clean lines of the clip.

Similarly with the Thrunite Ti3, I've got it rigged on a cord as a necklace, with a short piece of clear vinyl tubing on the end for a near perfect bite grip, this one is really practical and long lasting, it replaced the previous heat shrink bite grip, which didn't rebound from bite marks and wore through much too quickly.
So for tasks lasting less than 10-20 min I'm finding that the bite grip is more practical for me, if I'm wanting hands free illumination for a while, I'll break out the ZL headstrap.

tigman_tim

Newly Enlightened
I sometimes wear mine around my neck and can always move it.
Headlamp/necklamp are very convenient

Agpp

Enlightened
I find them useful but it's the headband that gives me discomfort. Not sure if it's the pressure, but after a while, it gives me a headache. This is even the case when I have the band rather loose. I also experience the same thing occasionally when I wear baseball caps which is seldom these days. In contrast, bicycle and motorcycle helmets give me no issues at all.

That being said, I find headlamps useful for night-time activities in which you need to use your hands. Things like camp cooking, fishing, auto repairs, etc. come to mind.
I own several headlamps, but nothing high end. I have a Princeton Tec Byte that I really like. It's tiny and runs on two AAAs but has a good output. It also features a battery lock-out switch to prevent parasitic drain and this prolongs the life of the AAAs. I also have two Snow Peak headlamps, each with a unique feature. The Snow Miner is an old-school-looking headlamp that has a silicone dome that can be popped in or out, utilizing a magnet around the lens. Closing the dome is for headlamp use while popping it out is for lantern use, like hanging it from a tent. It's basically a 2 in 1 design. The other Snow Peak is the Mola. It's unique in that it uses a swinging internal LED mount, using gravity to adjust the light angle to your head angle. Neither are high output lamps that really light up a trail, but both are good for close-range illumination for camping or night activities. Best of all, both the Snow Peaks were obtained for cheap as I found them on clearance at Marshall's.
6923517698_ee84c74d55_c.jpg

snow-peak-mola-headlamp-review-m2.png

For long range illumination, I prefer handheld devices which offer better lumens and lux than headlamps in most cases. Given I resort to handhelds for power and range, I like the headlamps that are small and lightweight or offer interesting features like the Snow Peaks.
That's a very interesting concept.
Since I stopped carrying my Peak Eiger I miss a having a lamp that doesn't blind me. I usually hang D4 in the tent now, but even its sub-lumen moon is too bright. S2+ with a diffuser is too long and I bang my head against it. I'm looking for a headlamp for camping use and such dual purpose one would be interesting. Time to start searching where can I get one? :)

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
That's a very interesting concept.
Since I stopped carrying my Peak Eiger I miss a having a lamp that doesn't blind me. I usually hang D4 in the tent now, but even its sub-lumen moon is too bright. S2+ with a diffuser is too long and I bang my head against it. I'm looking for a headlamp for camping use and such dual purpose one would be interesting. Time to start searching where can I get one? :)

While I do like the Snow Miner, it does have some flaws. I've read complaints that the large round silicone design causes glare for some people who wear glasses. I can see how that's likely as even without glasses, you can see the white silicone illuminated on your head, causing some glare. I imagine it can reflect on glasses.

I was also going to say it doesn't have a moon mode, but after just reading an article on it, I was reminded it actually as a dimming function. You can press and hold the button to dim it to various outputs, the lowest reported to be 2 lumens. I now recall that the Snow Peak Mola does this too. The Snow Miner also incorporates a hook into the headband, making it easy to hang on things like a tent loop, branch, etc. as an overhead lantern.

As for price, I lucked out. I found them both at Marshall's years ago in the part of the store that sells sporting and outdoor gear. The Snow Miner was $15 and the Mola was $7.50. Those are great prices for headlamps that have an MSRP of $50. However, it appears now that both are no longer in production and I haven't seen them at Marshall's since I bought them over 2 years ago.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The trick to comfort with headlamps is to use one with a top strap and don't tighten it too tight. With the top strap the main strap can be worn way more loosely and still be secure. I find most people who complain about headlamps making their head sore have them setup way too tight.

Last edited:

iroast

Newly Enlightened
Specialized headlamps do have limited use. I have both the Olight H1R and H2R flashlights. Both came with head straps so that you could use them as head lamps. I find them very useful for walking around the house at night and doing things w/o bothering anyone :p One of the most rewarding uses for them is removing splinters from my 5 yr-old :) H2R has the better strap since it is magnetic.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the group that doesn't EDC a headlamp. But when I really need to get something done with my hands, nothing beats a headlamp. I do sometimes get a bit of a headache wearing one though so that is very annoying. I get one from wearing hats and bike helmets too though unfortunately.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
davidt1 first shared the idea here of hanging a Zebralight AA angle light sideways as a neck light, there's a "Zebralight mods" thread where he covers it in detail.
It is a versatile idea and solves a lot of the problems with headlight straps, while also being able to be shortened and act as a light duty head strap a well.
Inside the shirt it was stowed away, flip outside the shirt and you have light for your body's neutral work zone.

MX421

Enlightened
davidt1 first shared the idea here of hanging a Zebralight AA angle light sideways as a neck light, there's a "Zebralight mods" thread where he covers it in detail.
It is a versatile idea and solves a lot of the problems with headlight straps, while also being able to be shortened and act as a light duty head strap a well.
Inside the shirt it was stowed away, flip outside the shirt and you have light for your body's neutral work zone.

I'll +1 this concept, it has been working very well for me. I've been experimenting a little with this and do the same thing he does and wear a H502w around my neck. I also wear my H602w around my neck when i have larger project requiring light. That works well for me and i avoid the headache thing when the strap is too tight when i only need close-up light. Nothing like having a light hanging around your neck and your hands free to do whatever. I have a few variations from davidt's concept as to how i connect my headlamps to the string. There is a Zebralight mod thread where davidt posted his neck hanging concept. When i get around to what variations work best for me I'll post it.

Also, when i am working in the yard and have a combo of flood and "throw" requirements, i'll put a H600w (or even the headlamps you don't like such as a fenix headlamp) on my head for seeing further distances than my H602w can reach. I that previously mentioned Zebralight mod thread, there was a post where someone put the Zebralight silicone holder onto their baseball cap and turned it around when they wanted to use the headlamp.

There are now quite a few vendors who make headlamps that remove from the "holder" that can be used this way AND as a EDC (clipped, in the pocket without the strap or otherwise). Nitecore, Armytek, and re3cently Olight just to name a few.

All that being said, i still like to hold a flashlight on occasion (I am recently back into my P60/Malkoff style lights recently), but for a working tool, the headlamp surpasses a handheld by far.

MX421

Enlightened
One thing i'll add is that when you work with a 18650 light in this manner and either you start to get your shirt wet (with sweat) or just have a hot light on a dry shirt, the light can get hot to where it gets unconfortable on your chest. I've been thinking about getting something that will attach to the head to insulate it from my body to eliminate this issue, but haven't yet gotten around to it.

Last edited: