Need versatile headlamp ~1000lm

ryanmcde2587

Newly Enlightened
Hey Fellas,

There are so many options out there on the market that it sometimes seems impossible to know what is worth spending the money on and what is trash. I'm not a tint snob or a lumen junkie, but a warmer tint and the option to be brighter is great. I originally bought this on the cheap just to have something:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3MXOQU/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The plus is that it is extremely versatile. With the option for flood or spot and adjusting to any brightness level it has helped me in many situations. The problem is, this thing just isn't bright enough. So, for a recommendation I guess I'm looking for something that is much brighter and hopefully has a lot of the same options like brightness adjustment and beam/flood modes or at least focus adjustment. Willing to spend a bit of cash, I'm not scared of rechargeable 18650s, but I don't want to spend 50% extra for bells and whistles that I don't need either.

Thanks!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adjustable beam widths are rare among the headlamp brands that are popular here. The Fenix HL40R has one, but maxes out at 600 lumens. The built-in battery has pros and cons because it can be convenient and helps minimize the size and weight, but I don't think it's intended to be user-replaceable.

Fenix also has the HP25R and HP30R, which like the Black Diamond you have, uses two different LED's to give you throw and flood beam options.

I'm not sure off-hand what other options there might be.

Most of us are actually quite happy with lights that have a mix of a bright hotspot for throw, and a fair amount of spill for seeing up close, or especially with headlamps, simply a floody beam, and there's a decent selection of 18650-powered headlamps that can provide 1000 lumens output from either beam style. My own personal preference is a floody headlamp, supplemented by a throwy flashlight when needed.

So give some consideration to how far away you actually need to see and consider whether a headlamp with a mix of spot of spill or a floody beam might meat your needs. That could open up a lot more choices.