I Think I'm Looking for 2 EDC Flashlights to Replace My Fenix E01

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix E01. I don't like it much. It's too small in the hand, it's a little too big on the keychain, I don't like the bulb is exposed, I feel like it could be/should be brighter, no clip, don't like the twist-on control.

I'm thinking what will work best for me is two lights, one keychain and one pocket.

The keychain one should probably be smaller than the E01, but not a Photon Freedom style one (or the Inova Microlight). I have several of the Photon type flashlights (I got a big pile of them in a budget buy). They are fine as zipper pulls and absolutely completely very very last resort, or for the instant light when it's even too much trouble to reach into my pocket. They are far too dim and I just don't like the form factor. I also don't like button batteries.

The pocket one should go the other way. One idea is it could be a pen style so I can keep it with my pens, in a shirt or pant pocket. The other idea is a thicker one a little longer than the width of my palm. That seems like it would be most comfortable.

I'll fill out the questionaire with a K for the keychain light and a P for the pocket light:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
KP____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
KP____Up to $25.
[Total for both would be nice if I could keep it <$25, but $10 - $20 each would be okay]

3) Format:
KP____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
K____MICRO - Keychain size.
P____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
KP____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
KP____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
P____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
OR
K____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
[NOTE: I don't want button batteries if I can help it. On the other hand I'm not against in-flashlight rechargable batteries (like the Surefire Sidekick (but much cheaper)). I would be okay with a very small AAA keychain.]

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
K____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
K____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
K____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
[Any would be fine, but I don't want one with prongs to plug into a wall outlet]

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
K____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
KP____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
P____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
P____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
KP____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
P____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
P____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
K____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
KP____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
P____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
KP____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
P____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
K____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
[They'll be banging around on my person and I'm kind of clumsy]

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
KP____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
KP____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
[Either would work fine for the pocket one. The keychain one should be able to turn on and stay on if I want]

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
K____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
P____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
P____I want a selector ring.
P____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
[A strobe would be nice for the self-defense aspect but isn't super critical, just a nice to have, but please, nothing too complicated]

14)Material/Finish/Coating
K____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
P____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
P____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
[No Ti, it's too expensive. I wouldn't mind a blue one, or silver colored or black]

15) Water resistance
KP____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
[A nice to have if $$ permits.]

16) Storage conditions
KP____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
[In my pocket or on my tool keychain. I take my tool keychain with me in the colder months because it's too heavy for pants pockets and goes in my coat pocket. In warmer months it lives in my briefcase.]

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
KP____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
P____Pocket/belt clip
P____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments
[The keychain one needs to be able to be put on a keychain (I have a split ring attached to the E01 and that's attached to my tool keychain]
[I do volunteer firefighting. It would be extra special nice if I could keep my pocket flashlight in my pocket even while firefighting. This is also probably $$ dependant, so it's a nice to have if possible]

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
if I already didnt have a nice edc I'd prob get one of those nitecore TIPs. (they also have the nitecore tube thats about the size of a flash drive I bought for presents that are nice)

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, intrinsically safe requires a specific certification that few people need, so few manufacturers pursue. As a result, I don't think I've ever seen an intrinsically safe light in your price range.

Keychain options:

The Lumintop Tool is a popular AAA light with a clicky switch, but slightly larger than your E01. The few AAA lights that are smaller than the E01 are also twist heads, and are only slightly smaller. Tail clickies tend not to be ideal for keychain lights, because the keychain ring gets in the way of the button.

The Nitecore Tube is one of the few non-coin cell lights that is meaningfully smaller than a Fenix E01, and has significantly better output than coin cell light. It has a built-in USB rechargeable battery. This may be your best option for a keychain light.

Don't worry about the exposed "bulb." It's actually a hard plastic dome over the LED. It is generally not a significant durability concern.

There are also some lights powered by the tiny 10180 lithium ion cells. Brightness is very impressive for their size, although runtime is limited. Similar diameter to the E01, but a little over half the length. Several of them have built-in USB-charging, but I think all of them have twist heads, and are usually over your price range. The Fenix UC02 is easy to find from US online retailers. The Jetbeam Mini-1 also sometimes goes on sale for a really good price from Chinese online retailers like Gearbest, Banggood, or Fasttech.

Pocket options:
Very few below $20, and most of the AA options are above $30.

The Nitecore Tip you'd have to find on sale from a Chinese Retailer to stay within your price range.

The Thrunite T10 would probably be a good option, as long as your aware it has an ultralow moonlight mode for use with fully dark adapted eyes. This bothers some users who aren't expecting the light to turn on in that mode.

I like my Thrunite Archer, but that's a $30 light.

A few other possibilities - Fenix E12, Lumintop Tool AA, Jetbeam Jet-1 MK, Acebeam M10.

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the budget-minded-ness.

I did see the Nitecore Tip and Tube. I am intrigued by the USB charging. They didn't have that when I got my E01.

I'm wondering if the Tip might not fit the bill for both functions (of course not a physically big light, but I could probably get around the need for a physically big with all those lumens it would give me). If I only got the Tip I'd be staying close to budget.

I'm starting to be curious about the tiny USB lights, like the Mecarmy X4S. I know it's about $25 itself, but isn't it typical of EDC that we start out with one budget and get carried away by the fancy stuff?

So, let's say I go with the $10 Tube for the keychain. I did concede $25 for both might be too tight and $10 - $20 each might be more reasonable. That would give me an overall budget of $40. What would be my best bet with the $30 left in my budget? I would definitely want something 4 - 7 inches in length.

Keitho

Enlightened
Convoy S2+ might be worth a look for the pocket.

It stretches the budget, and means getting an external charger, but the Emisar D4 might be a fun pocket option that could be the start to a new hobby...

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
just now seeing the TIP on sale for $17 if you're subbed for emails

Last edited by a moderator:

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Convoy S2+ might be worth a look for the pocket.

It stretches the budget, and means getting an external charger, but the Emisar D4 might be a fun pocket option that could be the start to a new hobby...

Thanks. The Convoy looks very nice, but I see it takes a 18650 battery. I'm really only looking for a AA, AAA or in-flashlight rechargeable. The Emisar D4 is a bit confusing. I'm not sure I'm looking at the right one. Is it $40? Is it available on Amazon?

Keitho

Enlightened
Thanks. The Convoy looks very nice, but I see it takes a 18650 battery. I'm really only looking for a AA, AAA or in-flashlight rechargeable. The Emisar D4 is a bit confusing. I'm not sure I'm looking at the right one. Is it $40? Is it available on Amazon?
The D4 is either $40 or $58 depending on version; best places to buy are MTN electronics or intl-outdoor. It is 18650 or 18350 (rechargeable), so it means getting a charger and a few cells. There is nothing wrong with going AA for EDC, but I would still consider rechargeable cells, if only for the cost (break even point after only a handful of charges).

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
The D4 is either $40 or $58 depending on version; best places to buy are MTN electronics or intl-outdoor. It is 18650 or 18350 (rechargeable), so it means getting a charger and a few cells. There is nothing wrong with going AA for EDC, but I would still consider rechargeable cells, if only for the cost (break even point after only a handful of charges).

Thanks. I've set up my "system" with rechargeable AA and AAA. I have several chargers and lots of those cells. It's simplest because we're already using those sizes in the remotes and battery razors etc.

On another note. I've done a bit of experimenting with pocket carry and I definitely need a pocket clip. I'm starting to lean towards a penlight. I work in an office so something that fits in executive casual would be best.

PartyPete

Enlightened
For what it's worth, I'd never recommend any type of rechargeable light for keychain carry. Too much to worry about.
I know what you mean, I think about half the Nitecore Tubes I've purchased were duds. But when it does work it is a great small light.

However, as an alternative I bought a Fenix UC01 and feel the build quality is better with that, IMO. Both have their pros and cons but the Fenix has been rock solid since day one.

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, Fenix UC01 looks a lot like the Nitecore Tube and is only about $12 vs the Tube at about $10. I've seen a lot of people on Youtube and at flashlight review sites recommending the Tube, but I hadn't seen anything about the UC01 yet. This form factor is very intriguing to me.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Hmmm, Fenix UC01 looks a lot like the Nitecore Tube and is only about $12 vs the Tube at about $10. I've seen a lot of people on Youtube and at flashlight review sites recommending the Tube, but I hadn't seen anything about the UC01 yet. This form factor is very intriguing to me.
As an inexpensive option I really like the form factor for both of them. I like the UI a bit more on the Fenix, the Tube is good too but about 4 out of the 6 I bought failed so that soured me a bit on their QC.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
On another note. I've done a bit of experimenting with pocket carry and I definitely need a pocket clip. I'm starting to lean towards a penlight. I work in an office so something that fits in executive casual would be best.

Lumintop IYP365 and Thrunite Ti4 are both good looking penlights, in my opinion. They're relatively long 2 x AAA lights. If you prefer shorter, the 1 x AAA Lumintop Tool and Thrunite Ti5 are similar, although obviously with lower output and runtime.

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Lumintop IYP365 and Thrunite Ti4 are both good looking penlights, in my opinion. They're relatively long 2 x AAA lights. If you prefer shorter, the 1 x AAA Lumintop Tool and Thrunite Ti5 are similar, although obviously with lower output and runtime.

I do really like both. Which would you recommend, Lumintop or Thrunite? I can't find a head to head on those? Other than the Lumintop looks a little more "executive" what should I consider when trying to choose?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do really like both. Which would you recommend, Lumintop or Thrunite? I can't find a head to head on those? Other than the Lumintop looks a little more "executive" what should I consider when trying to choose?

I don't have personal experience with either, although I have used other Thrunite lights and am happy with them.

The Thrunite offers you a higher maximum output, as well as an ultralow firefly mode you might either like or find annoying. It turns on in low-mode and then can be cycled through medium and then high.

The Lumintop is optionally available with a high color rendering index (CRI) Nichia 219B LED. Although this results in a fairly significant decrease in efficiency and output, many objects will appear more natural under the high CRI light. It turns on in medium mode, and then can be cycled through low and then high.

In most situations, my personal preference is for better color rendering than more output, but that really is strictly a matter of my own preference. If you're expecting to need to use the light extensively in between opportunities to charge or replace the battery, efficiency can be more important.

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I went with the Lumintop because it looked a little bit more snazzy, but after a day it won't cycle through the modes, neither with the tail clickie nor with twisting the front. I'll let you know how customer service handles it. I've emailed them.