Internal Resistance of Ebay 30Q Button Tops on Opus 3100?

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Quick tested some 'sold as new' button top 30Q's IRs from a (99.9% rated) ebay seller, on Opus BT-C3100, and they show 185, 259, 265, & 276.

The non button top 30Qs I got from a big dealer are btwn 45-70 IR. But then some button top LG MJ1s from the same big dealer are btwn 81-113 IR.

Is this an indication that the ebay 30Q's could be fake/recycled/B/C's?

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Re: Interrnal Resistance of Ebay 30Q Button Tops on Opus 3100?

Quick tested some 'sold as new' button top 30Q's IRs from a (99.9% rated) ebay seller, on Opus BT-C3100, and they show 185, 259, 265, & 276.

The non button top 30Qs I got from a big dealer are btwn 45-70 IR. But then some button top LG MJ1s from the same big dealer are btwn 81-113 IR.

Is this an indication that the ebay 30Q's could be fake/recycled/B/C's?

The first set of numbers are very high. Did you remember to SUBTRACT 30 from each reading? It is listed in the manual.

These are 4 months old and have been used together.I just tested 4 x 30Q BT. They were 26.31,41 and 49. I tested some a few times in the SAME slot and the numbers differed by 15 to 20.

It is not the most accurate test. The capacity test is more realistic.

joelbnyc

Enlightened

The first set of numbers are very high. Did you remember to SUBTRACT 30 from each reading? It is listed in the manual.

These are 4 months old and have been used together.I just tested 4 x 30Q BT. They were 26.31,41 and 49. I tested some a few times in the SAME slot and the numbers differed by 15 to 20.

It is not the most accurate test. The capacity test is more realistic.
Yeah ill do the discharge test. Even subtracting 30 they would still be high. I'm thinking I'm heading for an eBay claim.

Capolini

Banned

Yeah ill do the discharge test. Even subtracting 30 they would still be high. I'm thinking I'm heading for an eBay claim.

I forgot to mention this. My First Opus did NOT do this. It worked the first time as it should.

When I first put a battery in it reads an even MORE ridiculous number than yours. Something like 4235 or 3687!! They are in the thousands. I take it out and put it in again and the numbers I gave you are a result of that.

Try that with yours and see what numbers you get then. It should work the first time but that is what I have to do to get a respectable number with my present Opus.

joelbnyc

Enlightened

I tried IR test a few times, still all above 100 and up to 200s.

Discharge test gave capacity all around 3000 though. I will just see how they perform in the X7, and also analyze on the sky rc when it arrives. Maybe button top adds a bit of IR.

According to that batterybros blog post, actual discharge curve on the computer screen is best way to detect if cell is real, it's hard to match a VTC6 or 30Q curve, voltage stays so high on both.

Either way, next time I'll just wait until liionwholesale or mountain get the cells in stock. I didn't really need to spend $140 on analyzing chargers to test $25 in cells ;)

Capolini

Banned

If you decide to return it I would highly recommend my Hometown dealer. I live 1.5 miles away and am fortunate where I can pick my supplies up. Also, when I got my Opus, I tested them first in the warehouse.

Jon's customer service is above and beyond anyone I ever dealt with. If you ever had a problem he would exchange/replace without hesitation. One example is I had an Efest LUC V4 and it had a very minor problem w/ the screen. Like most dealers they will replace up to 30 days. This charger was 7 months old and he replaced it!

Here is his link,he sells batteries and chargers at WHOLESALE cost:

https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...00-charger-battery-tester?variant=12529659780

Nev

Banned

When doing the ir test I find it works better if you manually squeeze the battery sliders onto the battery when testing , the results seems more repeatable.
My 30Q's show about 10 while my Aw & Fenix 18650's are usually about 100.

joelbnyc

Enlightened

When doing the ir test I find it works better if you manually squeeze the battery sliders onto the battery when testing , the results seems more repeatable.
I will try that next time. You subtract 30 from the reading? I wonder why they wouldn't just fix that in the firmware....

If you decide to return it I would highly recommend my Hometown dealer. I live 1.5 miles away and am fortunate where I can pick my supplies up. Also, when I got my Opus, I tested them first in the warehouse.

Yes, I like liionwholesale. I would have ordered button top 30Qs from them too, but they are currently out of stock, said 1-3 weeks they will have more.

I suggested they stock button top VTC6's too. Their CS rep politely referred me to a post by someone influential in the vaping world saying 30Q's retain capacity better.

Its maybe a niche market, flashlight people who need high drain button top cells but don't want to use solder or magnets, but I shared HKJ's testing showing the VTC6's maintaining voltage slightly better than the 30Q's: https://imgur.com/a/MP911 (imgur with a bunch of voltages)

SwUh8zR.jpg

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned

^^^^^

Yes,,,I posted on[MOOCH] that FB thread[Robert Mazur].

They mention the reason for subtracting in the manual:

"Due to construction reason. there is around 30milliohm contact resistance from the charger itself, and the resistance is calculated together with battery internal resistance. It [minus 30] should be deducted from the reading to get a more accurate battery resistance reading".

Capolini

Banned

I have studied HKJ's comparator for hours!! No exaggeration! I have probably logged a 40 hour work week on there over the last 4 1/2 years!

The VTC5A is actually the best for providing more amps. Eventually the 30Q and VTC6 will sag less because of capacity.

Not in the beginning which is important to me because my single cell modded lights batteries are changed in 15 minutes or so before they get to 3.8V where the VTC5A will start to sag a bit more than the aforementioned.

Capolini

Banned

@ joelbnyc

Liionwholesale should have the 30Q on Monday. I communicated w/ him today and he posted comment below on BLF.

Hey everyone, you guys cleaned us out a week or two ago but I wanted to let everyone know we are getting more of these in probably on Monday.

Capolini

Banned

I will try that next time. You subtract 30 from the reading?
No

YES you do. Read the directions!

"Due to construction reason. there is around 30milliohm contact resistance from the charger itself, and the resistance is calculated together with battery internal resistance. It [minus 30] should be deducted from the reading to get a more accurate battery resistance reading".

Nev

Banned

Yes but he asked if I subtracted 30 , no I didn't.

Nev

Banned

Sorry boutthat.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 30Q's show about 10 while my Aw & Fenix 18650's are usually about 100.

If you are squeezing the terminals, then you should probably subtract less than 30mΩ (since that decreases the contact resistance).

Nev

Banned

I take the readings from the opus with a few grains of salt ,if I want more accurate readings I'll use the sky rc 3000.

joelbnyc

Enlightened

I take the readings from the opus with a few grains of salt ,if I want more accurate readings I'll use the sky rc 3000.
Have you managed to record a discharge curve to computer on the sky rc 3000, and have your posts or fan broke, or any other issues?

I have it incoming and of course only after ordering did I discover all the issues buried in the 5000 page thread.

The complexity I can figure out. But I don't want to have to physically mod my $90 charger/analyzer :/ I just want it to work. And i bought it mainly for the PC connectivity.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Iirc HKJ got reasonably accurate repeatable readings for Li-ion IR tests on the BT-C3100. I don't recall if he mentioned that he too squeezed the terminals in these tests. HKJ?

Latest posts