1500+ Max, Moonlight and Micro USB all in 1 light?

icharry

Newly Enlightened
After reading FAR too many reviews I think I've narrowed down my list of needs and welcome any suggestions from all you experts.

I want a light that is as small as possible - smaller is better, no more than 5 inches for sure.
1500+ lumens max and a true moonlight mode - 1 touch to moonlight.
Built in Micro USB charging.
Clip for hat would be great.
Max cost $150.

Mods - you can delete my last thread.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
After reading FAR too many reviews I think I've narrowed down my list of needs and welcome any suggestions from all you experts.

I want a light that is as small as possible - smaller is better, no more than 5 inches for sure.
1500+ lumens max and a true moonlight mode - 1 touch to moonlight.
Built in Micro USB charging.
Clip for hat would be great.
Max cost $150.

Mods - you can delete my last thread.

Hi. What about the [h=1]Manker E14 II 2200 Lumens USB Rechargeable Flashlight?[/h]

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Mod edit below ...

....links to Dealer's or Manufacturer's websites or other sellers outside of the CPF Forums will NOT be permitted in this forum and such links stand to be removed by a moderator....

Last edited by a moderator:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks - but after reading this review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ket-Dragster-Floodlight-(18650-18350-4-XP-G3) and seeing how HOT it gets (people literally cant hold it after 60 sec of turbo)... I think its not right for me.

BUT that is the right idea... keep 'em coming.

That kind of output in a small size inherently means hot. There's no way around it. Some of the more efficient lights should stay slightly cooler, but it's not going to be a night and day difference.

If you need more than a minute of 1500 lumens output, you need a larger light to be able to handle the heat. The Acebeam EC50 II or EC60 (throwier sibling) or Olight R50 (very similar to the EC50) will get you more runtime in that general output ballpark, but will be a non-trivial amount larger - right around 5 inches long, and slightly over 1.5 inch head diameter. Here's an example of a photo comparing the Manker E14 (with the copper mid-section) and the Olight R50 (far right).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4268/35379532946_ef5fc66e7c_c.jpg

Basically, you'll need to choose whether size or sustained output is more important to you.

Edit: Link to original source for the above image:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/5107548

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
That kind of output in a small size inherently means hot. There's no way around it. Some of the more efficient lights should stay slightly cooler, but it's not going to be a night and day difference.

If you need more than a minute of 1500 lumens output, you need a larger light to be able to handle the heat. The Acebeam EC50 II or EC60 (throwier sibling) or Olight R50 (very similar to the EC50) will get you more runtime in that general output ballpark, but will be a non-trivial amount larger - right around 5 inches long, and slightly over 1.5 inch head diameter. Here's an example of a photo comparing the Manker E14 (with the copper mid-section) and the Olight R50 (far right).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4268/35379532946_ef5fc66e7c_c.jpg

Basically, you'll need to choose whether size or sustained output is more important to you.
That picture looks familiar. :)

But you nailed it. Led emitters pushed hard produce a lot of heat. If they keep the heat in (like the Concept 1) they are nice to handle but have super short peak output. Get the heat out (like the E14II) and you get a bit longer at peak but get hot hands. Want longer time on peak? Add mass. Simple as that...

icharry

Newly Enlightened
I totally understand about the size / heat relationship... and I'm ok with 30 - 60 second turbo with a long and still fairly high lumen high mode. I assume the AceBeam EC50 does not get sooo hot that you cant hold it like the Manker? Any thoughts on the new Zebralights? They seem to be very well respected as a brand.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's no problem to hold a manker in turbo mode. It gets hot yes, but only the copper part since the copper transfers heat really well. And also the nichia version gets hotter since the nichia hi cri is more inefficient than the xp-g versions. So more current is transfered to heat with the nichia vs the xp-g versions.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
That picture looks familiar. :)

But you nailed it. Led emitters pushed hard produce a lot of heat. If they keep the heat in (like the Concept 1) they are nice to handle but have super short peak output. Get the heat out (like the E14II) and you get a bit longer at peak but get hot hands. Want longer time on peak? Add mass. Simple as that...

Sorry. I should have included the link to your original post. I found the image via Google, but went straight to the image instead of to the page it was posted on. I will edit my post for proper attribution.

For sustained output, you want not just mass, but also surface area.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry. I should have included the link to your original post. I found the image via Google, but went straight to the image instead of to the page it was posted on. I will edit my post for proper attribution.

For sustained output, you want not just mass, but also surface area.
No sorry needed at all. I happened to see the image on a preview and I thought it looked familiar; I had to go check my own review to make sure. I don't spend time branding images like some posters do as its not a big deal.

End of the day it's about helping the OP, and if the image helps, then all the better.

EDIT: and good correction... surface area is also key to dissipating the heat.

Last edited:

icharry

Newly Enlightened
I went ahead and got the Acebeam EC50 Gen II and I'm pretty happy. Love the UI, somewhat floody beam and hand feel. THANKS. I hope this will hold off any future purchases for at least a year!