Hello from Michigan - need design help

juandigital

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

im trying to build a strobe for my paramotor. I've built a prototype by soldering 4 cree leds in parallel and it does seem to work even thou it looks pretty ugly. The flash pattern is too fast too.

Im a newb and I don't really know where to start.

Where can I find someone to design the electronic part of this for me including part numbers that will work together.

The strobe needs to be visable 360 degrees so it will need multiple LEDs. I'd like to have a few different modes of strobe so the driver would have to be programmable. I think some sort of random flash might help aid in visibility plus a few other strobe modes

The power will be a single 18650 battery.

Thanks!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the four LEDs are set around 360°, I can see where that makes sense. I know ToyKeeper has the Bistro and Crescendo firmware that has programmable strobe options. Here's a link.
I have run four LEDs from a single driver (in a quad format, single MPCB), so the battery and driver wouldn't necessarily care how many LEDs they are feeding. I would imagine you don't need it to be super bright, probably 700 lumens each would be plenty. As for a heat sink, that will be easy in this case. A block of aluminum with an LED on each horizontal face.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=17

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't there legal requirements for lighting on ultralights flying in conditions of darkness?

Okay, I looked it up and there are no requirements for lights, because flying in the dark is illegal, at least in the USA.

For the purposes of making you more visible during daylight, 700 lm isn't even in the ballpark.

Maybe you can give us a better idea of what you are after?