EDC Pocket Thrower (Upgrading from PD35)

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a new EDC light that would be more suitable for throwing than my Fenix PD35. I have had my PD35 since August of 2016 and have been very pleased with it overall. I love the fact it runs 18650's as I have a good bit of them laying around. The PD35 is great for my close up needs (<100yds) but I am looking for a light that can reach 200-400yds. The main use will be on the boat and kayak while on rivers after dark. Also will be scanning cattle fields for coyotes from time to time. I have had my eye on the Zebra Light SC600 MK IV Plus XHP50.2 and the Emisar D1vn SST40 SD from Sky Lumen. I know Sky Lumen products are very well made and solid products with a good backing. That is what is making me lean towards his products. Just wanted to get some opinions from everyone before jumping into a new torch.

Thank you in advance,
-Rick

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
D1vn is the best you will be able to get for a pocketable edc thrower. You could ask for a modded tx25c2vn40 from sky lumen. Probably the only light that can beat it.
That's on paper though. Honestly I wouldn't pay the extra money again for the tx25c2vn. The difference in throw between the tx25c2vn isn't that much over the d1vn or sc600 in real life. They all throw far enough that I need my glasses to really notice. I just tested this last night actually lol. Quite convenient that this question showed up. This is in my opinion.
Specs for both are as stated
tx25c2vn40 1500lm, 65k lux
D1vn 1900lms, 55k lux

Last edited:

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
D1vn is the best you will be able to get for a pocketable edc thrower. You could ask for a modded tx25c2vn40 from sky lumen. Probably the only light that can beat it.
That's on paper though. Honestly I wouldn't pay the extra money again for the tx25c2vn. The difference in throw between the tx25c2vn isn't that much over the d1vn or sc600 in real life. They all throw far enough that I need my glasses to really notice. I just tested this last night actually lol. Quite convenient that this question showed up. This is in my opinion.
D1vn 1900lms, 55k lux
I sure appreciate the info and the to on the tx25c2vn40. I reckon I'll shoot him an email to see what's up with that one. If nothing else I'll pick up a D1vn hopefully in black. Looks like a really solid light and some good reviews on it. Be nice to have something that could reach out there a little further to see in the back of fields or a good ways down the river to see what is coming. Been wanting a Sky Lumen light for a while so I guess this would be a good starting point. Always nice to support someone else in the community

Capolini

Banned
D1vn 1900lms, 55k lux

It is all about application and preference. I have to disagree with you.

I much prefer my TX25C2vn DD/Single mode OVER the D1vn which I returned. I have had the TX for about 3 years now.

I like MAX output for extended periods. The D1vn is a very powerful and impressive torch. When it gets hot after a 90 second turbo blast it is rendered to either cool off[shut off] for several minutes or use at 30% or lower for awhile. Nothing wrong with D1vn ,,,that is what happens when you put that much power in a little light. It just was NOT my cup of tea,others who use TURBO on a very limited basis will probably like it.

My TX25C2vn DD/Single mode is activated by twisting the tail cap. Least amount of resistance and at the time w/ an XPG2 the most throw possible.

It is 900 lumens and field tested at 80Kcd. No doubt in my mind at least 75Kcd ANSI.:D

TX25_C2vn_V3_006.jpg

D1.TX.SC62.jpg

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
I looked hard at the TX25C2vn hard before ordering. It was a bit out of my price range at the moment. Was really trying to stay under $125 with a high max of $150. The TX25C2vn on the site looked a lot larger than the one you posted up in the pic. Didn't look very pocket friendly with a larger reflector. Not sure if I was missing something there. I will attach a pic below. Maybe the pic is deceiving?

I ordered the D1VN in black with the spec testing and engraving. Ordered on Sunday night and hoping to get it in the next couple weeks maybe. Not sure how long his processing time is but you can't rush the master behind the lights.
09480a938edb5db9fcba646712ba5989.jpg

Capolini

Banned
I looked hard at the TX25C2vn hard before ordering. It was a bit out of my price range at the moment. Was really trying to stay under $125 with a high max of $150. The TX25C2vn on the site looked a lot larger than the one you posted up in the pic. Didn't look very pocket friendly with a larger reflector. Not sure if I was missing something there. I will attach a pic below. Maybe the pic is deceiving?

I ordered the D1VN in black with the spec testing and engraving. Ordered on Sunday night and hoping to get it in the next couple weeks maybe. Not sure how long his processing time is but you can't rush the master behind the lights.
09480a938edb5db9fcba646712ba5989.jpg

That's the smaller version actually. The t x 25c.
I have the TX25C2VN bigger version similar output but smaller battery for the C version.

If you were going to get it I definitely go with the TX25C2vn an18650 battery is much better. I apologize if this came out lousy I'm using voice activation on my phone.

Capolini

Banned
I would never pay $180 for that t x 25 c v n.

I paid $120 $130 maximum for mine which was about two-and-a-half 3 years ago.

arKmm

Enlightened
Latest generation Streamlight Strion HPL would do the job, but the head is a little big.